Great Lakes Fitness Center

General discussion forum open to all registered members.
jhart06

Re: Great Lakes Fitness Center

Post by jhart06 »

Right.. Well nosing around and I stumbled on this... Seems like maybe if I get some other people doing the same thing it might keep me motivated... Accountability and discipline are issues I have.

I've managed, since my wedding and move, to begin to eat a lot healthier than before.. Not perfect, but better. Portion and speed, and more leafy green things are my big challenges discipline wise.

Exercise is hard too... Everyone has advised cardio and such.. But I have literally broken my left foot (3x) and fracture it (3x-4x) more times than is healthy, but thankfully i've managed to mostly avoid surgery. Combine that being being rear-ended on a bike as a kid by a drunk, speeding driver (I flew high enough I bounced off the top of a stop sign) and slicing my knees to the bone, and running just plain HURTS.

So, in lieu of running, is there any other exercises I could do or try for cardio? I love swimming, and have heard it's good, but not sure what one should do for that work out wise.

I'm 5'7"... 280 lbs.. Ideally I'd like to weigh about 230 lbs or 250 lbs...
"And if your war is so noble, so necessary - why aren't you fighting it for yourself?" - Jaster Mereel
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Post by Kal »

Made it back down to my pre-disney wieght!

166lbs today

Last night after my p90x chest and biceps and AB ripper x, I was able to crank out 50 push ups! No too bad after have'n kicked my but for a bit over 1 hr with the p90x. Also need to buy new bells, my 30lbs are not enough for some of the reps.

Today is week 7 day 4
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

Well Friday will be day 60 with P90x. I have not lost a bunch of lbs since I have started, but have seen some results. 30 more days to go, then I will start 2 adays. With a morning work out and 1 at night.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

Go, man, go!

Lori got a tweak in her neck several weeks ago, and she hasn't been able to do anything that requires upper body movement without her arms going numb, so she's been really discouraged lately. I'm trying to find exercises that she can still do, but it's amazing how most exercises require upper body use even if it's not the targeted area.
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

I'm officially quitting the Two Hundred Sit-Ups challenge after 4 weeks. I'd been replacing my 3-a-week Ab Ripper X session on resistance days with Two Hundred, but after doing ARX for the first time today in this amount of time, I can tell right away that my abs have indeed atrophied to a degree. I had noticeable difficulty in a few exercises that I hadn't had any problems with before. So it's back to ARX 3x/week on resistance days as before.

In the right lighting, I can see a 4-pack so I can't quit on that now.
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

I haven't been posting much on this, but I am back on track.

I am watching my carb intake and back on my Nordic Track every day.

I have been losing about 1 to 1.5 lbs per week.

12/21/09 weighed in at 194.5 lbs.

Target is 180 to 185. (To be able to wear my good suit.)

Nice to see all the progress everyone else is making and it is also very motivational! :D
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

I havent posted much here either, but since I have started my diet/work out thingy, and then quit and went back to work, I have lost a total of 31lbs. Now, mind you, I could have lost a lot more in the last 2 months, but working outside all day, climbing in and out of the truck and what not, makes me eat like crap. Lots of candy to keep the sugar level up. (mine drops and its not good for me.... :? )

Soooo, with the new year approaching, and the metabolism up and running, I should be able to start knocking off the LBS the first of the year. :thumbs:

I weighed myself this morning and I was 218. I havent been there for about 7yrs or so :thumbs:
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

In those situations, just do some advance planning. Simple sugars might provide a small boost of energy, but it ebbs and flows fast. Complex carbs provide slow-burning energy for longer periods instead of quick bursts that you have to keep refilling.

Hence, people's addictions to candy bars and sodas. It's a vicious cycle that also increases the fat grams as a side effect. And the sugars that you don't use get stored....as fat.

Replace a candy bar with a granola bar. Yes, it sounds all Earthy Crunchy Tree-Hugger, but consider the alternative. :) Complex carbohydrates ramp up more slowly, but lasts longer and comes without all the excess saturated fats.

Kit-Kat bar (43g) vs. Kashi All-Natural TLC Chewy Granola - Peanut Butter (35g):
Calories: 210/140
Total fat: 11g/5g
- Saturated fat: 7g/1g
Cholesterol: 5mg/0mg
Sodium: 30mg/90mg
Total carb: 28g/19g
- Fiber: <1g/4g
- Sugars: 22g/5g
Protein: 3g/7g

(the maximum daily recommendation for sat-fat is 15-20g, so why suck up a third to a half of your daily budget with one stupid candy bar that lasts, what, 2 minutes?)

Two Kashi bars will fill that hunger/energy void that's normally being served by a candy bar. If one goes that route, then the 40 extra calories can be worked off by slightly intensifying physical movement for 20 minutes (and you'll have the energy to actually do it). But the benefits include more fiber and protein and still less fat than one Kit Kat.

Barring diabetes, that feeling of fatigue and being run-down that's commonly associated with glycogen depletion can usually* be traced back to inconsistent eating times, insufficient nutrition, and excess processed ingredients. If I don't eat every 2-3 hours, I'm screwed. But I have to eat the right things -- just because I'm allowed 2,500-3,000 calories doesn't mean I can fill up that space with a pepperoni pizza.

*: obviously, I'm not a nutritionist or dietitian, but through observation, research, and experience, that's the first clue. Diabetes introduces a whole new world of requirements and care, which are all beyond the scope of this message board, and should be referred to a medical professional, not a bunch of know-it-alls on the Intrnetz.
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

Since I am in week 8 right now & not doing a lot of the big workouts this week. I thought I would see how many push ups I could do in a row. Did 65 in just over 1min. Not too bad I must say.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

Not bad at all! I can crank out about 40 before getting all noodley.
jhart06

Post by jhart06 »

Working with my uncle who is a Master Fitness Trainer with the 101st airborne... So far I can run 2 miles in about 14 mins, hit 12 mins once... But the knees did NOT like me either time... About 35-40 pushups before my form gets a little sloppy, and roughly 45-50 before I just can't push myself off the ground without wobbling. Situps are about 20-30 in a minute, which is my big area to focus on. I figure if I can get to the shape AIT standards would want me for the military, i'll be happy. More worried about being fit and able than weight, to be honest.

Speaking with a doctor, gentle runs for distance instead of time will get my knees back in shape. I haven't done much after my accident, so a lot of it is, according to him, dis-use that will ease up, just slowly.

Lost about 2 lbs this week, even with the Yule feast. So, the first week was moderate, but next week will see a diet planned out to supplement the workout.
"And if your war is so noble, so necessary - why aren't you fighting it for yourself?" - Jaster Mereel
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

A 7 min mile? I have been running 5-6 miles a night since April and I am not back to a 7 min mile yet. And I could not do 40 push ups till about 2 months ago. And I work out 7 days a week for atleast 1.5hrs some days 2 hours and am down over 50 lbs and just can do 60 perfect form push ups now.

Not sure how you have done it. But if it is all legit, great job

jhart06 wrote:Working with my uncle who is a Master Fitness Trainer with the 101st airborne... So far I can run 2 miles in about 14 mins, hit 12 mins once... But the knees did NOT like me either time... About 35-40 pushups before my form gets a little sloppy, and roughly 45-50 before I just can't push myself off the ground without wobbling. Situps are about 20-30 in a minute, which is my big area to focus on. I figure if I can get to the shape AIT standards would want me for the military, i'll be happy. More worried about being fit and able than weight, to be honest.

Speaking with a doctor, gentle runs for distance instead of time will get my knees back in shape. I haven't done much after my accident, so a lot of it is, according to him, dis-use that will ease up, just slowly.

Lost about 2 lbs this week, even with the Yule feast. So, the first week was moderate, but next week will see a diet planned out to supplement the workout.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
jhart06

Post by jhart06 »

SL2280 wrote:A 7 min mile? I have been running 5-6 miles a night since April and I am not back to a 7 min mile yet. And I could not do 40 push ups till about 2 months ago. And I work out 7 days a week for atleast 1.5hrs some days 2 hours and am down over 50 lbs and just can do 60 perfect form push ups now.

Not sure how you have done it. But if it is all legit, great job

jhart06 wrote:Working with my uncle who is a Master Fitness Trainer with the 101st airborne... So far I can run 2 miles in about 14 mins, hit 12 mins once... But the knees did NOT like me either time... About 35-40 pushups before my form gets a little sloppy, and roughly 45-50 before I just can't push myself off the ground without wobbling. Situps are about 20-30 in a minute, which is my big area to focus on. I figure if I can get to the shape AIT standards would want me for the military, i'll be happy. More worried about being fit and able than weight, to be honest.

Had my wife test it.. Just about there consistently.. I used to be in very, very good shape.. I'm not in horrible shape now I suppose, but pretty bad where I was.

Again, the 2 in 14 killed me.. I limped the rest of that day, most of christmas day, and still feel it pretty solidly. I don't think i'll push to that again.

I'm not in all that bad of shape physically, just primarily need to shed extra pounds put on after my foot breaking.

You know me Rob, I wouldn't be posting up random osik just to inflate my ego. But those results are not in my comfort zone.. At all... I still feel the effects and it's a few days later now. Diet plan goes into effect after the family leaves from Kentucky. Hoping to be trimmed down a fair amount by DragonCon over labor day.
LongShot

Post by LongShot »

Stardust and I took the initial test yesterday for one hundred push-ups program. I like the simplicity (and affordability) of the plan. So I guess we are committed now that I am posting...

LongShot: 12/26/2009 181/181/170
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

That's usually what it takes ;)

Any questions or requests for suggestions, just post.
Stardust

Post by Stardust »

LongShot wrote:Stardust and I took the initial test yesterday for one hundred push-ups program. I like the simplicity (and affordability) of the plan. So I guess we are committed now that I am posting...

LongShot: 12/26/2009 181/181/170

I guess I am involuntarily committed :slap:

Stardust: 12/26/2009 125/125/115
I want to fit back into that dress I wore on our wedding night!!!
Obi-Wan:“Wait a minute... How did this happen? We're smarter than this.”

LongShot

Post by LongShot »

Crimson wrote:That's usually what it takes ;)

Any questions or requests for suggestions, just post.

Will do. Thanks, Rome :thumbs:
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

No problem. There are PLENTY of exercises and nutrition options that can be done without any additional expenditure of cash -- no fancy equipment, no memberships, no weird products to buy.

Just a couple of changes in mindset, an investment of some additional minutes out of your day, and a willingness to make a couple of sacrifices for the sake of the rest of your life (and really, once you get into the right mindframe, those sacrifices will seem absolutely minimal).
Mama_Wags
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 3411

Post by Mama_Wags »

Finally in the last of the six week maintenance program with Weight Watchers. Just have to maintain my weight within range until Tuesday and then I will achieve lifetime membership! I'd like to continue losing as well...they suggested getting lifetime first (so I don't have to pay for meetings...which makes sense!) So...after Tuesday I reduce my points again and begin a new range of weight loss. I'd like to lose another 10 and then I'll be completely satisfied! If I stay where I'm at, I'm happy with that too!

Now to pull the wii active back out and start firming up what little there is left of me! LOL!! :lol:

Jackie
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

Monday I start a 2nd time around with week 9 of P90x. Did not get to do the full week cause of the holidays, so Monday I am back in gear. then will do 2 weeks of week 10 so that by the end of January I am done with my first time through.

Then all over again. But then will have running every other morning
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%