Great Lakes Fitness Center

General discussion forum open to all registered members.
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Great Lakes Fitness Center

Post by Crimson »

The original intent of Chubby Fest 09 was to prep for TrooperFest 2009, but since it's taken off beyond just the guys who were going to TF9 wanting to lose 30 lbs. or more, GLFC is now open for business as a general-interest fitness/nutrition center without any deadlines or cut-off dates. No judgment, no condescension allowed here, but accountability will be allowed.

If you want to participate, great! Ask questions, and we'll try to find answers. If you just want to read and see what others are doing, that's fine, too. If you want to hold yourself accountable for your health and fitness progress, do it here without the need to compete or stand up to judgment. No deadlines here except for what you put on yourself.

Just some pretty basic rules in this thread:
  1. Be honest. With everyone else, certainly, but mostly with yourself. That means "no excuses." Excuses are easy to use and pretty obvious to everyone else. The only person you're cheating when you make excuses is yourself.
  2. No posts for magic diets in a bottle, no programs that require zero work for total results, no sales pitches. Those not only do not work, but can also pose serious health risks as they ply on the vanity and desperation trade. The GLFC is intended to be a support system for healthy weight loss, improved fitness, and nutrition in a good, safe way. All information provided here should be free and without strings. This is the Open Channel so while all forum users are invited to participate, posts offering to sell products and information will not be tolerated. Accounts made specifically for that purpose, or accounts with less than 5-10 posts that immediately come barging in with sales posts will be banned. As the forum administrator and one who has done the research in the health/fitness/nutrition field, I can spot the sales pitches, and that'll be my decision to make. It is my intent to take care of my peeps.
  3. If you fall off the wagon, just climb back on. The wagon doesn't move fast, you're not going to be left behind, and we're always going to be here to give you a hand to help you climb back on. But you need to want to climb back on. See rule #1.
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Re: Great Lakes Fitness Center

Post by Kal »

Good Idea Rome. See, despite what Jaster always says to me, You are good for something. :cheers:

I will be posting up here. Going to see what the Damage of Disney was. I think a week of being back to normal and doing my work outs may have helped out a bit. Monday I will have a check in - hope it is not too bad-

Phase 1: 27 lbs lost

Phase 2: 18 lbs Lost ( 8/12 - 10/7 )

Phase 3:

10/12: 167/167/ -0 ----STARTED P90X----
10/19: 167/166/ -1
10/26: Disney
11/2: Disney
11/9: 167/
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Post by Lumpy »

OK - here's my situation.
My desire - To trim a couple inches off of my waist and possibly add a couple to my arms (in a positive way)
My problem - A case of scoliosis which is not serious enough to require surgery or braces or anything, but IS enough to leave my back very susceptable to fatigue.
I've tried starting to exercise quite a few times and each time I go until I end up overdoing it and my back is sore for days. What kinds of things can I do that will help with my target areas without putting me out of commission by overdoing it???

Thanks!!
Jaster
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 3829

Post by Jaster »

1 very important thing that would help in a non-surgical way would be to start seeing a Chiropractor, Chris. Carolyn and I have been seeing a Chiropractor now for almost 2 months and I happy to say that Carolyn is completely off of any prescription medication for Fibromyalgia. If you don't mind the drive, I go to an awesome one in Marine City who performs miracles.
Mrs Skirata
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Mrs Skirata »

What about taking a water aerbic class??? Should be better for your back.
Diana Brang
ID-8220
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Post by Lumpy »

The thing is on a regular day to day basis - I'm fine. The problem comes when I overstress my back. When I tried before, I walked on our treadmill for about 30 min (nothing real strenuous) the first day. I did a little work with my weights the next day, and by the third day when I tried walking again, I was done after about 12 minutes and my back was sore (not immovable sore but sore enough not to be able to work out) for 2 days, by then my laziness took over and I didn't start again.
Jaster
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 3829

Post by Jaster »

Trust me on the Chiropractor, you'll feel way better.
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

Blackstock, I'd suggest starting slowly to build up the muscles around your spine. Continue with the treadmill, and slowly, Slowly, SLOWLY ramp up the intensity to see how your back feels. Get into the pattern of getting in a good brisk walk first. If you overdo it to start and get hurt, that's when motivation flies out the window, as you've noticed ;)

THEN we can get to work on weight-lifting.

As for a chiro, the one I go to actually has another office at 23 & Gratiot -- MUCH closer to you. Their office is on the south side of 23, across from Meijer, and right next to Chase (Matoshko Butzin & Assoc.). They're also very willing to work within whatever insurance plans you have.
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Don't Discount Push-Ups

Post by Crimson »

The classic push-up seems to be one of the most overlooked exercises nowadays in this flood of funky gadgets and "fitness celebrities" hawking their latest wares. But the push-up can be performed anywhere, by anyone, with a number of variations, and with no additional equipment necessary.

One interesting challenge I stumbled across is One Hundred Push-Ups. After going through the site, it sounds like a great challenge. The ads are unobtrusive, and the tone is encouraging rather than berating or haughty.

For those with back and core issues, it's always recommended that you talk to your medical care providers before undertaking something like this and get their clearance (or modification instructions) first. But if you don't have medical issues and want to get some good upper-body workouts in without spending a ton of cash on gadgets and gear, the basic push-up is perfect.

Done right, it can be hard, but the payoff can be worthwhile for both men and women. Women who work out won't turn into female bodybuilder types (there are drugs involved there) and Madonna isn't even a typical result, so forget about all of that (noting that many women who get into exercise prefer to tone up rather than bulk up, which is generally the inverse of men). Push-ups over time can increase muscle density in the arms, shoulders, and chest (and to a lesser degree, the back), which can lead to increased metabolism (as can other muscle-building exercises).

(of course, these little disclaimers are inserted with the idea that there is no be-all-end-all exercise to produce everything you're looking for instantaneously ;))

In addition to the standard push-up which we all know (arms slightly wider than shoulder-width), there are some additional positional variations that provide more challenges or work out muscle groups in slightly different ways:

Standard - the one we all know. This one splits the workload fairly evenly across your chest, triceps, and shoulders. Whether in plank position (straight body, straight legs, using your toes as your fulcrum) or on knees (straight body, straight legs, but resting on your knees), maintain good form by keeping your body and head straight, lowering yourself as low as you can go to the floor and raise yourself with your upper body only (don't lead with your butt or lower back; if you feel fatigued enough to have to do that, stop -- you're done).

Wide arm - arms are wider than shoulder distance. This concentrates more of the effort on the chest muscles.

Close or Military - hands are placed closer together, directly beneath your shoulders. This focuses the workload on your triceps and shoulders (and is much harder).

Decline - hands are in standard position, but your feet are elevated on a chair. This places the workload more on the upper chest. This one also requires STRICT attention to form because the position can lead to inadvertently using your lower back or butt in the movement, which should be avoided. Keep the torso tight and straight, and use the arms, chest, and shoulders only.

There are others, of course, but that gets more into advanced techniques. We'll stop here for now and if anyone has any questions or would like to know more about the advanced versions, post away!
Mrs Skirata
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Mrs Skirata »

Ok, now that Disney is behind me now and it looks like I have gained about 1.5lbs since I steped on the scale before we left. Also I did not hit my goal ( only 6lbs) before I left, I'm now setting a new goal. I have until the new year. I just have to get through Thanksgiving ( should not be a problem) and Christmas!
Diana Brang
ID-8220
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

Portion control will be your friend if the surrounding environment makes it difficult or impolite to simply refuse holiday meals. Remember the phrase "one less."

Take one less slice of turkey, or one less scoop of potatoes. It doesn't have to be a dramatic reduction, because not everyone's families are on-board the support program so refusing Grandma's turkey or Aunt Ida's Butter-Drenched Deep Fried Sweet Potato Fritters may be end up causing hurt feelings. So rather than a "normal helping" of buttered deep-fried badness, take half. When they insist you take more, rather than saying "no, I'm trying to watch my weight," deflect it with "oh, I know I can't eat more than this -- I'm ready to explode already, because all the food was so great!"

Even if you're not, and even if it wasn't. But they don't need to know that. If they go away happy, you're left happy.
Mrs Skirata
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Mrs Skirata »

We have thanksgiving at my Aunt's and she has been on weight watchers and has lost 40lbs. So I will be safe at her house. Everything will be a weight watcher recipe :D.

During the winter I will be signing up for a real kickboxing class, the class will be ran by a Golden Glove guy. :unsure:

I'll be able to kick Rob's butt :dance:
Diana Brang
ID-8220
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

[quote="Princess Diana

During the winter I will be signing up for a real kickboxing class, the class will be ran by a Golden Glove guy. :unsure:

I'll be able to kick Rob's butt :dance:[/quote]

There have been many who tried, and some who have died and more so that died trying. :)
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

As long as she eats a hearty breakfast, it won't matter if that night she noms...er...dines... in hell.
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Re: Don't Discount Push-Ups

Post by Ripcode »

Crimson wrote:One Hundred Push-Ups
Nice find!

I am going to try this!
Mama_Wags
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 3411

Post by Mama_Wags »

I'm pretty happy with another great weight loss this week...down another 1.8 pounds. Not sure exactly how that happened with Anton's birthday this past weekend (and the cake was really good!!).

11/10: 146.8/130.6/130 = 16.6 pounds total :thumbs:

I'm .6 pounds away from my overall goal (and the bathing suit I bought at the start of the summer as my "goal"). Granted, it's going to be too cold to wear it anywhere but I'm looking forward to trying it on a smaller version of me when I hit that magic number!

Jackie
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

Mama_Wags wrote: I'm .6 pounds away from my overall goal (and the bathing suit I bought at the start of the summer as my "goal"). Granted, it's going to be too cold to wear it anywhere but I'm looking forward to trying it on a smaller version of me when I hit that magic number!
Hmmmmmmmmmm, me too!!!! :wink:
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

Phase 1: 27 lbs lost

Phase 2: 18 lbs Lost ( 8/12 - 10/7 )

Phase 3:

10/12: 167/167/ -0 ----STARTED P90X----
10/19: 167/166/ -1
10/26: Disney
11/2: Disney
11/9: 167/172/ +5 Disney did what I thought it would :( Back to the grind I go now!!!!
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

Kelli and I did the initial test for 100 pushups.

We start on Sunday. We'll post progress here!
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

Excellent! And remember a good, positive mindset.

Wrong: I couldn't do 2 miles/10 pushups/5 pullups/20 lbs.

Right: I DID 1½ miles! I DID 8 pushups! I DID 2 pullups without a chair! I DID 10 reps of 15 lbs.!