Hmmm, upgrades (EOTK)

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
EOTK

Hmmm, upgrades (EOTK)

Post by EOTK »

I have a couple of questions about process here. It's my intent to go EIB with my AHN/Stunt TK--originally I was thinking I would go for base requirements and upgrade later to get the EIB. I wasn't sure what the protocol in the 501st was for upgrades, say if I get accepted with smoke lenses and show up at event in the future with green ones. I understand that the main thing is probably to look professional at all times, but I also don't want to look like Frankenstein, haha. I'm realizing that a suit is probably going to always be a work-in-progress to some degree...

So, is it acceptable to meet base requirements but have some EIB elements?

Also, I guess I'm wondering how much of the EIB stuff I should tackle now. I'm obviously thinking towards that goal, but would it be better to just do it right the first time? I'm in no hurry with this--I feel like I want to meet you guys, do a bunch of events as NCS, and take my time with putting things together. That said, I don't want to have this project dragging on for years before I even try trooping.

My kit comes with the velcro and straps to put it together, but I would like to go to a hidden strap / snap system at some point though. I guess I'd welcome advice as to what you guys think is best for a newbie--do it now?

Last question, I need to start looking at blasters. I hate the toy look--honestly I purchased it as a toy before I even considered joining. So, I will be real honest with you all and say that guns aren't my forte. It's the part that I'm most worried about with my costume, but I'm willing to learn and do it right. I just don't want to take on too much where I have to pester others to help me all the time. Anyways, I would welcome any recommendations of blasters and mods--I think I've been looking at too many scratch-built ones and scaring myself.

EDIT: typo and clarification
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Re: Hmmm, upgrades (EOTK)

Post by Wags »

As far as the toy blaster goes, it is good to have at events where there are a lot of kids. To many times my pistols have been dropped and the price I paid for them, I had to quit the "Can I see your gun?" thing. So you might want to keep it in the armor tote for just in case situations.

Also, the totes that are popular at the Stanley totes from Home Depot. They are kinda pricey though. Also, the long Rubbermaid totes, and someone can chime in with the size, with the wheels seem to work out well.

I will let our TK's answer the other questions though :mrgreen:
TD866
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 0866

Post by TD866 »

I think what ever will make you happy is the first goal. A base Tk costume is a good start to join the club and if you want more then upgrade. We all costume at our own level and try to have fun as 501st members, and I think that is the real goal. First thing is to have fun being a member and enjoy being part of a club with people that share the same interests as you do.

I would build a new costume with the strap and snaps the first time, since staying put together go's allot further than any other type of upgrade. It is also a good idea to do some NCS as a prospect member first, this way you can get to know us and we can get to know you.
Mowskwoz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7794

Post by Mowskwoz »

As Roger(TD866) stated, do what makes you happy. That is most important.

All suits, like you said, are a work in progress. You will always find ways to make it look better and fit better.

If your plan to go for EIB eventually, it's easier to do it straight from the beginning. Why do it one way only to spend more $$ and time to change it later. Most of the requirements for EIB are just small tweaks from the base standards anyway. Most of the work is research, research, research. And you don't have to go all the way before you apply for membership to the legion as long as you meet the base standards. I aimed for EIB right off the bat but was approved for a few months before making the finishing touches to apply for EIB. And I still have some tweaks I could do to make it better.

As for the blaster. The hasbro toy gun is great for troops with a bunch of kids just like Wags said. I have one of those and a Hyperfirm (which I used for my EIB application). I would like to eventually have a scratch built one but they scare me too.

If you have any more questions, fire away. We are all full of answers and ready to help. :tksmilie:
GLG Commanding Officer - 2012-2018, 2020–
GLG Captain of the Guard - 2019
ANH Stormtrooper - F.I.S.D. Expert Infantryman
GLB X-Wing Pilot - Shadow 77
Snowtrooper Commander - Thunder Snow Assault Squad
R2 Builder
EOTK

Post by EOTK »

I hear you on the having fun part. I am really enjoying this whole process immensely--everyone I've been dealing with is very supportive and friendly. I am in no hurry whatsoever to start trooping, in fact I feel way more comfortable helping out as NCS for a number of months anyways to get an idea of how things go. Ideally, I'd like to apply for 501st by Fall--if it takes longer, that's fine too.

Thanks for confirming what I thought about EIB, Eric. (Hey, my name is Eric too.) Makes a lot of sense to just slow down and go for it now, rather than redo it later.

BTW, are you guys talking about a modded toy blaster for kid-proof backup or just an off-the-shelf one? I have an old 1990's style TK blaster from ThinkGeek:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/c1b1/

My original comment was about my main blaster since the EIB requirements say "Hasbro blasters are discouraged but allowed". I did some more digging and saw a couple of surprisingly good looking toy mods, but I'll have to look at what has to be done to the Hyperfirm. I was leaning towards the Hyperfirm for now and maybe will tackle a from scratch one at some point in the future (like after I understand the difference between stock, greeblies, and side rails)...

Also thanks for the tip on the tote, Wags--I wondered what you guys used. I've seen some big bags too, but a heavy duty wheelie tote sounds more robust if it would fit in my car.

Roger, good advice I think--my gut says to do the strapping right the first time. I've found some good tutorials, and maybe I can check out what some of the other people here are doing too.

Thanks.
EO
EOTK

Post by EOTK »

Sorry for the double post, but is the Hyperfirm E-11 EIB without modding?

EDIT: Late night posting FTL. Looks like it needs a D-ring at the very least. I've been following SolderMaster's build on the FISD boards--he's doing some cool stuff to trick his out.
Mowskwoz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7794

Post by Mowskwoz »

You are correct, the only mod needed for a Hyperfirm to be EIB ready is a d-ring. There are other things you can do to trick it out but it's not necessary. I bent out my own d-ring using some wire from around the house. There is also someone selling some metal ones on the FISD for like $6.

Sounds like your doing your research. Good luck and keep the questions coming. :thumbs:
GLG Commanding Officer - 2012-2018, 2020–
GLG Captain of the Guard - 2019
ANH Stormtrooper - F.I.S.D. Expert Infantryman
GLB X-Wing Pilot - Shadow 77
Snowtrooper Commander - Thunder Snow Assault Squad
R2 Builder
TD866
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 0866

Post by TD866 »

You can make a D ring from a paint can handle. Save the $$$. :thumbs:
EOTK

Post by EOTK »

Haha, you should see my browser history. Last night I spent about 7.5 hours learning about guns, lots of guns...

I sent this guy a PM because I can't see the 501st boards, but it looks like a nice custom E-11. My concern was weight (and it's pricey). I also didn't know how big Sterling-size was. If anyone has any opinions, I'd appreciate hearing them--it's the 2nd item in the thread.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=10343
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Post by Terrell78 »

Dan's asking a little to much for the blasters in the thread, in my opinion. If you want a custom built E-11 PM Smitty on the FISD, or look up his build threads.
EOTK

Post by EOTK »

K, thanks Terrell--will check Smitty's stuff out.
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

My opinion as a former TK and current TD (different suits of armor, but the theory was the same) was to just get the suit done and acceptable at the base level for membership. That way, you get a chance to troop in it, find out what needs adjustment and alteration, and continue from there. A few 1-2 hour events can tell you where the big adjustments need to be made, but then there are the all-day 6-hour that really apply the stress tests to armor, joints, and straps.

Then, once you've made the adjustments for comfort and fit, you can start on the higher-end optional stuff.

For example, I personally refuse to go green-lens. For me, it distorts my view of the world and anyone looking from the outside can't really tell the difference between green and smoke except in certain lighting conditions anyway, so why suffer for the art? :)

I'm never gonna go "hero bucket" because the bubble lens is even worse than the green flats!

But at the end of the day, it IS your armor and your choice. Just wanted to put it out here that there are a wide range of options available.
EOTK

Post by EOTK »

Thanks for your post, Crimson--you are keeping this thread on topic, although I'm gonna derail it again at the end of mine. I'm with you on the green lens thing--I personally like the smoke look better. It's an easy switch out with the RT bucket though--the mod maker said it's a couple of screws to switch them out so it must be a frame inside that holds the lenses in. A third ear screw and hovi mike tips seem easy, and I asked for 4 ear bumps. The painting part is a bit daunting, but that can be done later after I get base 501st probably.

I am dead set on EIB. Because I've always wanted a TK, then for a long time never thought it was possible for someone of my height / weight, I am all about going nuts with making mine. I already know that a velcro strap system is going to get a workout from me because of my larger frame. ( I'm not above simulating a troop in the house to make sure I've got pieces sized correctly! ;) ) So, I think the hidden snap / strap system will be the focus of the extra stuff I want to do for my initial build. I also want to do the butted armor pieces with the strips on top instead of the overlapped edges in the front, since it's not like I can really reglue things later. The only thing that I'm not sure of is the clamshell abdomen--I might need to see armor in person to really get that part.

—————————
BLASTER DERAILMENT INC!!!
So in the custom blaster department: I already heard back from Smitty. Man, I want one of his blasters! >< He's planning on doing a new version in the future but has no idea when. Daniel hasn't written me back yet. I've decided that I am not up to doing a custom E-11 right now, though there are some fantastic templates out there. Maybe we should do a count later this year and see who would be up for trying to make these...

I haven't heard back from Sci-Fire yet, but leaning towards the hyperfirm ATM. Would do just the d-ring and perhaps pimp it out a little more when I have fewer projects on my plate.

Ok, not trying to start anything here, but what do you guys think of the SDS blaster? Not sure they can even be exported to the States--haven't heard back from them yet. I read something about even toy guns not being able to go through UK customs if they look like real guns. Anyways, I know that SDS is a polarizing topic in the armor world, but any comments on the look? I'm just trying to fairly evaluate all options.

http://www.sdsprops.com/galleryblaster.html

Finally, I'm crossing off the MR E-11 from my list. Sounds like it's not a trooping weapon due to weight, it's pricy beyond on words, and it needs mods to boot. That's if I could even find one anymore.
jabba974
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 8430

Post by jabba974 »

As far as the "tote" goes, I would spend the money and get the big Stanley tote. After carreing around my Jedi costume in a rubbermaid for a couple of years, the Stanley was the best investment i could have made!! It's big enough to hold all my armor, plus extra stuff, and is secure, being lockable and all, and it gives you a place to sit if need be.
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Post by Lumpy »

I got my Stanley tote that fits my Vader costume from Home Depot and I want to say it was $68. It is WAY better than the Rubbermade tubs that I tote around my Biker Scout and my Chewie in - fortunately those costumes aren't that heavy. Well worth the $$. :thumbs:
EOTK

Post by EOTK »

Hey guys, thanks for the tips--do you have a rough idea of dimensions / size that I should be looking at?

I think I need to go the actual store because it doesn't look like they have this stuff online, at least at Home Depot.
jabba974
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 8430

Post by jabba974 »

It'll be the big one!! lol Homedepot seems to be the only one that carries it, I've gone to Menards and they only carry the small ones, not near big enough. here's a link...

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp ... Tool+Chest
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Post by Lumpy »

jabba974 wrote:It'll be the big one!! lol Homedepot seems to be the only one that carries it, I've gone to Menards and they only carry the small ones, not near big enough. here's a link...

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp ... Tool+Chest
Yup!! That be the one!! :thumbs:
EOTK

Post by EOTK »

Awesome, thanks so much!