Question on a Character...

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Heiden

Question on a Character...

Post by Heiden »

Ok so I'm working on a Darth Caedus outfit. Hopefully I can get it done by time the Star Wars in Concert event happens in Grand Rapids. (having trouble finding the right armor) I'm not a member here yet but am considering it, but I wanted to see what people think of such a character as Darth Caedus. Is he someone that is in the realm of common characters or would be appropriate for this group? Like what events could I attend wearing such a costume?

Here is the Sith I reference:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Caedus

On a side note, assuming I can get it ready in time, should i apply now, or can I just attend it without applying, or how does that work, lol.

:lol:
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Re: Question on a Character...

Post by Kal »

Heiden wrote:Ok so I'm working on a Darth Caedus outfit. Hopefully I can get it done by time the Star Wars in Concert event happens in Grand Rapids. (having trouble finding the right armor) I'm not a member here yet but am considering it, but I wanted to see what people think of such a character as Darth Caedus. Is he someone that is in the realm of common characters or would be appropriate for this group? Like what events could I attend wearing such a costume?

Here is the Sith I reference:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Caedus

On a side note, assuming I can get it ready in time, should i apply now, or can I just attend it without applying, or how does that work, lol.

:lol:
I am pretty sure that since this is a High profile event, one must be an approved 501st member in an approved 501st costume.

You may want to check out the Flag ship eclipse forums. They take care of most of the EU costumes. I am on their a good amount of time, and as of now. I do not thing Caedus is an approved Legion costume. That could change if some one makes a real life version of the costume, and if the LMO thinks it is good enough to become a character in the 501st.

You best bet is to check out that site.

Once your costume is done, you send in the AP. After that, if your costume is approved, you will get a legion ID#. If it is not, you will be told what to fix, or that the costume is not one that will get you into the 501st.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

As of right now, Caedus is not yet an approved character because there are none in the 501st anywhere. The Legion Membership Officer would have to personally review the character for its suitability for the 501st (a formality) AND the costume submission with the visual evidence as submitted by the applicant (just providing a link won't be sufficient; the applicant must provide all visual evidence that was used to craft the costume).

That's the burden of being the first -- like with a Kal Skirata, right, Rob? :)

Due to its high-profile nature, participation in SWIC as a costumer is restricted to full members of Rebel Legion and 501st Legion only.

However, that being said, you can craft a Caedus if you want. There are no restrictions as to what costume you do. Event participation is only limited by the people who request us -- some may say "Original Trilogy only" or "Clones only." We as the 501st or Rebel Legions have no control over that.

As long as you're fine with the burden that you'll have to explain who you are to everyone, or that you may be confused with Anakin regularly, you're free to make that costume if you wish (hell, TIE pilots have to constantly explain that they're not Darth Vader) :)
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

As for the armor. That is going to have to be something to make your self. As far as I know, no one out there mass makes this type of armor, if it was, odds are there would be others with this costume out there.

Do not let that stop you from doing this costume. It may just take a bit more time.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Heiden

Post by Heiden »

Thanks for the reponses.

hmm, I should of started this a bit sooner then. It would appear to be quite a trek to get all this situated.

I'd probably only attend the larger events where I'd get more recognition (although I'd still be confused I'm sure). I think Caedus would be approved though because I could of swore I seen a Mara Jade somewhere here. I always felt they were on equal notoriety terms expecially since he killed her.

Anyways, I think I can conquer the armor, just a matter of time. I'm wondering what type of saber he uses though. Based on what I have read he idol'ed his grandfather Darth Vader except for his mistakes as he seen it. I only seen his saber partly in one picture (the book one), and it looks like Vader's. Do you think the Vader saber would be satisfactory?

My picture references:
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/1260/pic1mq.jpg
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/8602/pic2kp.jpg
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/7514/pic3bz.jpg

Oh one other question, so you said that you can only wear a costume to this event if your in this group? It seems like others would wear one just for fun and attend, expecially all the mini-vader kids, lol.

:blink:
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

Mara Jade has been one of the biggest star wars character since the mid 90's. She is in several books, tons of comics and in tons of LFL commission'd art work.

Go sign up for the flag ship eclipse forums. There is a topic on Cadeus right now. As it stands now, it does not look like it is an approved costume in the 501st. That could be moved along if some one makes a movie quality costume.

I have been trying to get a costume approved in the legion for a while now with my Kal. It is a long road, but could be worth it in the end.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Heiden

Post by Heiden »

I registered and did a search for Caedus but can't find the topic. Maybe it is restricted to members only?
This forum: http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/forum/index.php

Can I get a direct link? thanks.
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Heiden

Post by Heiden »

thanks for the link.

I made my case with some pictures and commonalities pointed out and circled. Hopefully the topic doesn't get buried or lost, and someday that character is approved. Guess I'll work on it in the meantime.

I don't know who to ask on that forum to take a look at it, so if anyone knows the guy who looks at this stuff, if they could bump them towards that topic for review, that would be great!

:thumbs:

---EDIT

Looks like they are never going to approve it... That's a shame, and demoralizing, lol.

So it appears I probably won't be joining up then because this is the only character I have interest in creating content for. Until that is changed I'll be in the shadows. Thanks for the help though!
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

As Pam said in that thread,
I'll repeat the advice that we give quite often on these boards: If you really want to make a costume, then make it because you want to. If you want to make a costume specifically so that you can join a group, however, then it's safer to select a costume that is already approved by that group. I don't think Caedus will get anyone into the legion quite yet. In time, perhaps, but not with the limited references that we have now.
That doesn't mean "NEVER NEVER NEVER YOU SUCK YOU'LL NEVER JOIN OMG!!!!" That simply means that there isn't not enough reference material in existence to where the costume can be completed without speculation or extrapolation -- just as you asked if the standard Vader hilt would be sufficient, the answer is "nobody knows."

What do his boots look like? What does the back of the armor look like?

That's all that means.
SlvrCrest
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 4617

Post by SlvrCrest »

You could come over to the Dark Empire for now. There was someone working on Caedus before, but I don't think he finished it. We are a group for Sith and Dark Side characters, just like the Mando Mercs and Jedi Assembly.

http://the-dark-empire.forumotion.com/forum.htm
Jedi Master Kolban Gryph-Lyn
TS-4617