my first costume..but help needed

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Darth Katz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 35289

Re: my first costume..but help needed

Post by Darth Katz »

Thanks all and Lumpy! You all have been very helpful.
With suggestions from a stormtrooper and my own as Galen Merak (beg posts), I still come back to my heartfelt fave, Vader.
I am going to the Chicago Wizardcon Saturday and maybe I can get more direction from vendors there.
Last edited by Darth Katz on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vader: So, you have accepted the truth.

Darth Katz
ROTJ Vader: Guest Status
Imperial Crewman
Great Lakes Base Jedi

White Stormtrooper-WIP. Armor arrives on 3-4-19. Almost done!
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Post by Kal »

I still do not think you are getting it. If you go to wizard world to "talk with vendors" all they can tell you is about the Rubies craptastic Vader. All that is is a waste on money.

Any one selling Non licensed Vader stuff can be sued by LFL, in the prop world "Licensed = trashy glorified halloween costume". "Non licensed = thestuff you want". Again, vendors can not help you out with anything cause odds are they do not know anything.

What you need to do when you go, is find some one in a good vader costume and talk to them. Your best bet is to take your time and reserch the Sith Lord Detachment 40000% of anything you need to know and what to get and from whom, is on that site. You just need to look.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Post by Lumpy »

It comes down to what you want.

If you want a costume to wear at Halloween and have fun with - buy a Rubies (supreme edition) from a vendor or from ebay. The list of changes needed to make a Rubies 501st acceptable is longer than your arm (seriously - because it's on the Sith Lord Detachment as well). It would be easier to make it from scratch

If you want a costume that will get you approved into the 501st so you can troop with us, then you need to go to the SLD, read, read, read, read, read, save your pennies and do it RIGHT. People work for many, many, months or even years to get an approvable Vader.

I was one of the extremely rare cases of being in the right place at the right time. I bought my Vader complete from a GLG member who had done the months and months of work already, gotten it approved, and trooped with it until his back issues would not permit him to Vader anymore (my Vader costume weighs almost 40 pounds). I would not have known that it was available if I hadn't done several months of work to get my Biker Scout approved.
At your size, you are going to have to be very careful that the things you get LOOK right on you. THAT is the key is the look on you. Even after buying an already approved costume, I still had to tweak some things and resubmit it for approval ON ME.

The SithLord Detachment is your first place to start.
Darth Katz
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Darth Katz »

I have been talking to the Sith Lord Detachment site for some time now. :D Found someone who makes parts.
I know about Rubies and Ebay and am staying away from them. There is nothing on Ebay worth my time.
Thanks again.

Darth Katz
Imperial Crewman
Great Lakes Base Jedi

Darth Katz
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Darth Katz »

I just wanted to say thanks again for the help. You all have been wonderful in pointing me in right directions.

Darth Katz
Imperial Crewman
Great Lakes Base Jedi

Darth Katz
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Darth Katz »

I have been "talking" with some members on the SLD site and one had gotten me in touch with this fellow.

*Link removed*
Last edited by Darth Katz on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Katz
Imperial Crewman
Great Lakes Base Jedi

Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Post by Kal »

darthkatz wrote:I have been "talking" with some members on the SLD site and one had gotten me in touch with this fellow.

Anybody heard of him? He is out of Colorado.

I took out your link to his site

But yes, He is a good guy. Should have no problem working with him. If you the photo on the right of the screen, that guy in the pic "tomkat" is taller then you by 4inches or so. You can see how the Helmet and armor look on him. It will look bigger on your frame.

Vader props that people make are Movie sized props, that means that it is made based off the size of Vader on the screen. So most parts are made too look best on people around 6'6 They can be used on people smaller then that, but some parts may look off.

Check out this site http://www.sithtrainingtemple.net Has a lot of How to's on it.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%