Going to try for custom made 'Stormtrooper' Officer

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 0471

Going to try for custom made 'Stormtrooper' Officer

Post by TK471 »

I've been struggling with 'new costume' ever since getting my FX oh-so many years ago. Upgrading the helmet helped that suit (I still like the sculpt of the FX, it just looks good). So many different costumes to choose from...

So I'm going to go for a 'Stormtrooper Officer' (black Imperial officer uniform). I've asked for help/advice from Kathy VB from the Midwest Garrison, and she was kind enough to supply me notes, a hat pattern, and how-to guides. I've purchased the Simplicity 7274 pattern from ebay (found it for $8.95 free shipping!), and my girlfriends mother is a seamstress, and very much into detail... and very excited to help me with making my uniform!

I do hope to have this made for Halloween, as well as for any future trooping (summertime trooping for me is difficult). Although the uniform is still full body, and black, it has to be at least a little 'cooler' for warmer trooping.

I had read Rome's review of the Museum Replicas Fleet Officer uniform, and while it does look like they did a decent job, I think I'm going to be much happier with a custom-fit uniform made from a sturdier material (possibly a wool-cotton blend, need to decide on that). btw, Rome... great review!

Any advice on the other 'parts'? Kathy had some advice on whom to contact, just figured I'd ask (PM of course).

I've already warned my girlfriend's Mother that if the uniform turns out to be 501st approved quality, she may end up getting bugged for more, lol. I'm aiming to get that level of quality, both for appearance and for long term trooping.

I'll file further reports on progress. -Pete
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Re: Going to try for custom made 'Stormtrooper' Officer

Post by TK471 »

btw... what 'rank' should I give myself (lol).

Really it's more just what I think looks good without going crazy. Since I'm going to be wearing black, I was thinking about this:

For a Commander rank. Found here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rank_ins ... tic_Empire

I was going to buy these:

http://www.newark.com/jsp/Electromechan ... ku=50B3012
I believe it's Rome who posted about these.
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

Pete, I can make you a rank badge. I've got plenty of parts for it. Just let me know what configuration you want.

Boots may be the tough part. I wear equestrian boots that I got cut down about 3". The top of the boot comes to the bottom edge of my knee, so it's taller than the TIE pilot, Imperial Gunner, Imperial Crew type of motorcycle boots.
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Post by Kal »

Crimson wrote:Pete, I can make you a rank badge. I've got plenty of parts for it. Just let me know what configuration you want.

Boots may be the tough part. I wear equestrian boots that I got cut down about 3". The top of the boot comes to the bottom edge of my knee, so it's taller than the TIE pilot, Imperial Gunner, Imperial Crew type of motorcycle boots.
If you need any of the bars let me know, I have a ton of metal that has been cut to shape. I used to make and sell, but got board with it. You can have some pre cut backs if you want. Goes for you as well Rome. So if you ever want to promote your self, let me know :mrgreen:
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

I should have waited, lol... I ended up buying four blue and two red from the newark site! I could use help with the metal part :)

I've been searching around for the boots, I just saw these, from shop.starwars.com

Imperial Officer Boots

http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/produc ... id=1317634

"The full leather boots are copied directly from originals kept in the Lucasfilm archives. Budgets being what they were back in 1976, these boots also saw use on Luke in A New Hope ceremony scene, Han Solo, as well as many other characters throughout the saga. A great multi-costume bargain for a basic boot! Includes boot pulls."
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

Those would be the Museum Replicas type, part of the officer ensemble uniform that I bought without the boots. I don't know what they're like, whether they're true to size or if they need any other adjustments or what-have-you, so you'd be blazing the trail on that one.
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

Kal wrote:
Crimson wrote:Pete, I can make you a rank badge. I've got plenty of parts for it. Just let me know what configuration you want.

If you need any of the bars let me know, I have a ton of metal that has been cut to shape. I used to make and sell, but got board with it. You can have some pre cut backs if you want. Goes for you as well Rome. So if you ever want to promote your self, let me know :mrgreen:
Thanks, Rob. I promoted myself from major to admiral already -- only in the SW universe can an officer not only get promoted in seconds, but also jump branches! :D

Next step -- Grand Moff, baby!
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

I'd like to believe.. while most of the 'licensed' stuff is not really up to snuff... that they would do at least a decent job on boots that are 'copied from the archive', and cost well over $200! They say they don't ship for 30 days, and I've got to do some research before I make a hasty decision (that and funding).

Is this belt buckle sufficient?
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home ... roduct_107

And I found these 2" black leather belt blanks on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-8-9-oz-Black-Leat ... 1c104b11f4

Thanks!
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

Good luck with the officer outfit!
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

TK471 wrote:I'd like to believe.. while most of the 'licensed' stuff is not really up to snuff... that they would do at least a decent job on boots that are 'copied from the archive', and cost well over $200! They say they don't ship for 30 days, and I've got to do some research before I make a hasty decision (that and funding).

Is this belt buckle sufficient?
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home ... roduct_107

And I found these 2" black leather belt blanks on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-8-9-oz-Black-Leat ... 1c104b11f4

Thanks!
The buckle will be fine, though you'll need some metal polish to clean it up. The belt looks like nothing more than a strip of black leather, which means you'd need some way of installing snaps to form a loop in one end that the buckle would attach to.

Tandy also sells belt blanks that already have that built in, though you'd need to also buy black leather dye. I'd recommend Edge Kote as well, but that's pretty much optional.
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

I just found some dosimeters on ebay that I think will work for the code cylinders, I just have to paint the tops blue.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-2-STAR-WARS-TYP ... 3cb055cac0

I'm only getting two, since I will only need that many for the black uniform.
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

I just got my Imperial Insignia discs in the mail from a quality source I'll just say is 'King!' I got the grooved ones with the notch, I just have to drill out the centers (need to figure out doing that without ruining these things!).

Is there a tutorial out there for making the rank bars? I haven't received my plastic switch covers yet, hopefully this week. Thanks!
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

Yes, on IOC, we have a "low tech" thread for rank bars. Just be careful, measure twice, glue once. :)
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

My girlfriends Mom saw 'beautiful wool gabardine at joann's -it was olive'. I personally want to do the black (hey, it' s my style) but on the off-chance I see a quality olive at the right price, I may go that direction. I just figure (also) that black is 'easy' (in terms of color matching the film... black is 'black', for the most part).
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
Myshadowstar
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 7957

Post by Myshadowstar »

I've been plunking around in my mind doing this type of costume as my entry into 501st :). Thought about armored char but I may wait till I am more comfortable w that stuff and this way once approved if I do a non formal char I'm still good. Mostly just in planning stages atm. I think I"ll be sure to be one rank lower then you that way when Vader get's angry I'll be safe ;) Anyway I saw same dosimeters when I was mucking around e bay and fig that a start since who knows what will be avaiable when I actually start costume.
"Only the Shadow knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men..."

Myshadowstar

------------
Old Republic Jedi- complete
Imperial Officer- complete

TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

I would say that 'armor' (like TK armor) while it has it's own challenges, once it's built... at least it doesn't need ironing, lol. The Imperial Officer uniform has the need of being 'fit', I'm lucky to have someone skilled to help me, and really wants it to be as perfect as I do.

I just found boots... and I bought them too, 'cause I think the price is right, and they'll do the job.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

Whoo-hoo! Just got my 'color rank' pieces (4 blue 18mm x 24mm switch lens, and 2 red 18mm x 24mm switch lens), from Newark. Now to get the aluminum strips, proper adhesive, and some patience!
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
Flash
Garrison Advisor
Garrison Advisor
Legion ID: 5156

Post by Flash »

I cant wait to see the pics. :thumbs:
Mike Lica - 5156
I like Star Wars
Myshadowstar
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 7957

Post by Myshadowstar »

Lol true ironing could be an issue ;) thank goodness I live close to mom who has one. I figure after sewing my jedi outfit that was this obnoxious stretchy gauzy stuff how hard can normal cloth be hehee.

Never know I may do armor too one day. After the party last weekend ended up dreaming about making some lol so I guess I have general idea... course that maybe due to reading about it right before bed too on the whitearmor website.
"Only the Shadow knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men..."

Myshadowstar

------------
Old Republic Jedi- complete
Imperial Officer- complete