Vader boots height needed

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Darth Katz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 35289

Vader boots height needed

Post by Darth Katz »

I have a pair of Chippawa motorcycle boots that I need to add height too. I would like to not do the "frankenvader" but I would like to add something to the outside to increase height.
Is there anyone here who has a solution? I went today to the shoe repair guy and he was gone on an appointment until later, so I left. I figured I would post before I attempted to go back to the shoe guy.

Thanks much!
Vader: So, you have accepted the truth.

Darth Katz
ROTJ Vader: Guest Status
Imperial Crewman
Great Lakes Base Jedi

White Stormtrooper-WIP. Armor arrives on 3-4-19. Almost done!
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Re: Vader boots height needed

Post by Kal »

Darth Katz wrote:I have a pair of Chippawa motorcycle boots that I need to add height too. I would like to not do the "frankenvader" but I would like to add something to the outside to increase height.
Is there anyone here who has a solution? I went today to the shoe repair guy and he was gone on an appointment until later, so I left. I figured I would post before I attempted to go back to the shoe guy.

Thanks much!

Just do what I told ya at M.parents armor party this past August

Boots 2 sizes big 1 size wide
Toe add .5 too .75 and have the sole incline up to 3.75 at the heel

Inside - use a shower flip flop .5 too .75 thick then go on ebay and look for "full sole internal lift"
something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-HEIGHT-INCREAS ... 335e7de9b9

If you buy 2 pairs you can stack on one of the mid sections. This + the flip flop will give you 3 too 3.25 extra inches inside. Inside + Outside for 7" in extra height.

For the helmet, pad the inside on top of your head so that you end up looking out the lowest part of the eyes. You will find your self looking out the mouth grill for your extra vision. This can end up with about 1 too 1.5 extra inches to the 2-3 the helmet gives you to start.

If your boots are not a min of 2 sizes big and 1 size wide, you will not be able to add any of the inside lifts. Might be able to pull off 1" but your foot will be tight.

With the external incline style lift, your inner robe will hide most of the frank'n vader look.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

This is pretty much what I did with mine. In all, I added a foot to my size. That put me right at the 6'6 that the Star Wars data bank says vader is. Keep in mind, if you do this as well. You are going to look like you have lil T-rex arms. Avoid the vader hands on his belt pose. Keep you arms in the safety of the cape, or hold a saber w/blade. The saber will take eyes onto it and away from your T-rex arms.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Darth Katz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 35289

Post by Darth Katz »

Thanks Kal!

I got the insole lifts already and they fit fine. I guess I didn't think material wise when I wrote the post. I know I have to add height but I was wondering if I could forgo the shoe guy and add the height myself (materials, tools glues=one unhappy gal). And in thinking of this, since I don't have machines or such, that going to the shoe guy is my only choice.

The extra help on the helmet part is great thanks! :thumbs:

I will bring everything to the armor party.
Vader: So, you have accepted the truth.

Darth Katz
ROTJ Vader: Guest Status
Imperial Crewman
Great Lakes Base Jedi

White Stormtrooper-WIP. Armor arrives on 3-4-19. Almost done!
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

Sorry, can not pm with my cell.

Any way. I did not make the boots myself. I paid to have them done. You need to know what you are doing. You do not want to make a sole your self. With as much $$ as you have in the armor parts. The last thing you want is for your self made lift to fail and to take a fall and crack the frak out of your costume. Prop makers do not tend to give you refunds if you bust up the stuff.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%