Kaylee Frye for Dragon*Con (WIP)

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Mira_Darkstar
GLG Member
GLG Member

Kaylee Frye for Dragon*Con (WIP)

Post by Mira_Darkstar »

Well my other Dragon*Con costume I planned on making was Kaylee Frye from the series Firefly. I didn't take to many WIP photos for this since it was mostly modifying items. This costume is now 99% done except for weathering the coveralls.

This are two of my reference pictures to give you all an idea of that I was trying to accomplish.

For the undershirt I found something that looked okay and all I needed to do was make it a V-neck. (Easier said than done) I am still on the hunt for the exact shirt which was make by designer Karen Kane.

For the coveralls, I bought a pair of Dutch Army Mechanic Coveralls from an Army/Navy surplus store.

I bought a Medium and it was to large so I bumped it down to the small, removed the sleeves, added a front chest pocket, had a zipper put in, added two darts, a belt, the two patches and some Chinese characters written on the pants.

For the Parasol I bought a white paper one from Amazon and got to work on painting it.

And then I did some aging on the Parasol. You'll see this in the final pictures.

For the jacket this was a hard thing to find and I think I found the closest thing I am going to get. Here is the seller's picture.

The Mod's on the jacket was to remove the frog closures and take out the shoulder pads. (Yes shoulder pads lol) I still want to see about taking in the sleeves as they seem to big compared to the one from the show. You' will see the mods in the final photos.

Kaylee wears some flip-flops with this outfit so I found some that looked alright and then modified the band.

I also made Kaylee's necklace, even though she does not wear it with this episodes outfit. I took some stone beads of the right shape, metal wire, suede cording, acrylic paint and clear sealer to make three of these.

And now here are some final pictures minus finding the exact shirt, aging the coveralls and maybe fixing the jacket.
Costumes: Mara Jade, Slave Leia, and Rey.
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Re: Kaylee Frye for Dragon*Con (WIP)

Post by Mr Fett »

Using the Dutch coveralls is a good choice. Other Kaylee costumers I've seen use the same one as a base.
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

I frigin love it!!!! I love firefly....
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Post by Mr Fett »

So this means you're geeked that Jayne will be at Detroit Fanfare con in September, Wags?
Mieal_Deneb
Great Lakes Base Member
Great Lakes Base Member

Post by Mieal_Deneb »

Nice. :)
~Rachel
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

I know nothing about the show, but this costume is coming along very nicely! :)
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

Just moved these threads into the costuming section. I don't know why I didn't think of that before, since it'd get more attention in here. :oops:
dirty tusken
501st Member
501st Member
Legion ID: 9983

Post by dirty tusken »

are you going to weather the umbrella like the pics?
WORD TO YOUR BANTHA!!!
worlds 1st and only tusken puck.
Mira_Darkstar
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Mira_Darkstar »

dirty tusken wrote:are you going to weather the umbrella like the pics?
I have weathered it a little, I am leery to make the tears because when it is opened up the paper pulls really tight and I don't want the tears to spread more than intended.
Costumes: Mara Jade, Slave Leia, and Rey.
dirty tusken
501st Member
501st Member
Legion ID: 9983

Post by dirty tusken »

well you could just use some glue to control the tear. like a stop stitch on fabric to keep it from fraying farther then you want. But it could be more trouble then it's worth and the costume and umbrella already look amazing. :wink:
WORD TO YOUR BANTHA!!!
worlds 1st and only tusken puck.