Beginning a Vader costume - any helpers?

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member
Legion ID: 82611

Beginning a Vader costume - any helpers?

Post by Obi-Ron »

I have accumulated funds to start building my Vader costume. If anyone has, or knows, of someone of a similar build and is selling parts, please let me know. I am a 6'1" male, athletic build, 165-170 pounds. Thanks!
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Re: Beginning a Vader costume - any helpers?

Post by Terrell78 »

Honestly the biggest fund killer is getting budget parts and not being happy with them and upgrading before the suit is done. I did mine on a budget by picking up many high quality second hand items, many times they had wear or paint imperfections which I either repainted or was able to buff out.

Keep a close eye on the Sith Lords Detachment, the Prop Den, and the RPF. Make sure you know what you are getting before you buy anything. People do sell stuff pretty cheap from time to time but you have to have patience and know what you are looking for up front.
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Obi-Ron »

So, like so many other things, it's 'you get what you pay for!' Thanks, I will heed that advice! :)
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Post by Terrell78 »

obi-ron wrote:So, like so many other things, it's 'you get what you pay for!' Thanks, I will heed that advice! :)
Not always, there are always junk makers that charge top dollar especially on ebay.
Darth Katz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 35289

Post by Darth Katz »

obi-ron wrote:I have accumulated funds to start building my Vader costume. If anyone has, or knows, of someone of a similar build and is selling parts, please let me know. I am a 6'1" male, athletic build, 165-170 pounds. Thanks!
Go to the Sith Lord Detachment site:

http://www.501stsithlords.com/

There is a forum on there and plenty of helpers to help ya!!
Vader: So, you have accepted the truth.

Darth Katz
ROTJ Vader: Guest Status
Imperial Crewman
Great Lakes Base Jedi

White Stormtrooper-WIP. Armor arrives on 3-4-19. Almost done!
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

If you want to do work on your own, you can save a ton of money. Still has to be accurate, but you pay for the labor. Most people have normal jobs and squeeze this awesome hobby into there free time, and that is what you pay for. But like Terrell said, paying top dollar is NOT always the way to go. There are some people out there that will give you a good deal on some nice stuff. Just have to do your homework!! :mrgreen:
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

obi-ron wrote:So, like so many other things, it's 'you get what you pay for!' Thanks, I will heed that advice! :)
For the most part, but Ask, Ask, ASK!!!! before plunking down change on anything (ESPECIALLY eBay). The Imperial Officer uniform, for example, is among the most misunderstood costumes in the 501st (chiefly because it's an all-fabric costume and therefore has the mistaken impression that it's "easy").

Everything on eBay for the Imp Officer is garbage. Not only is it low-priced, but incredibly low-quality as well, so the "get what you pay for" adage applies very strongly (for officer stuff). The thing that many shoppers don't seem to get is that the Imp Officer uniform (and I say "uniform" more often than I say "costume" for a reason) is supposed to be like a good quality business suit -- or military dress uniform -- and that not all fabrics behave in that same way.

Flimsy cheap cotton will look and behave like flimsy cheap cotton. Just like flimsy cheap plastic will look and behave like flimsy cheap plastic.

Having served as the Detachment Leader for the Imperial Officer Corps and currently the Executive Officer for IOC, I've spent some significant time nearly begging people to stay away from certain costume makers who sell on eBay because, as said in this thread, you might get something for cheap, but what's the use when you have to scrap the whole thing anyway because the item sucks?

The Vader guys can point you in the right direction, even if it's just "away" from the wrong parts :) Some will be because they're cheap but other times, it'll be because it's inaccurate or bad workmanship (which is another consideration that's often at the bottom of an excited beginner costumer's list of priorities: durability).

Detachments can provide a wealth of information, while the local guys can provide hands-on guidance. We're here to help, so take advantage of us before spending money! ;)
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Obi-Ron »

Wags wrote:If you want to do work on your own, you can save a ton of money. Still has to be accurate, but you pay for the labor. Most people have normal jobs and squeeze this awesome hobby into there free time, and that is what you pay for. But like Terrell said, paying top dollar is NOT always the way to go. There are some people out there that will give you a good deal on some nice stuff. Just have to do your homework!! :mrgreen:
Thanks, Wags! I am not a handy person, so I believe in paying for labor if it will be more durable and look more authentic than I could make myself. I am in this for the appearance portion of the hobby and the group, not for making the costume itself. Thanks for the advice - as a teacher, I will take it to heart to do my homework to find the good stuff :D
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Obi-Ron »

Crimson wrote:
For the most part, but Ask, Ask, ASK!!!! before plunking down change on anything (ESPECIALLY eBay). The Imperial Officer uniform, for example, is among the most misunderstood costumes in the 501st (chiefly because it's an all-fabric costume and therefore has the mistaken impression that it's "easy").

Everything on eBay for the Imp Officer is garbage. Not only is it low-priced, but incredibly low-quality as well, so the "get what you pay for" adage applies very strongly (for officer stuff). The thing that many shoppers don't seem to get is that the Imp Officer uniform (and I say "uniform" more often than I say "costume" for a reason) is supposed to be like a good quality business suit -- or military dress uniform -- and that not all fabrics behave in that same way.

Flimsy cheap cotton will look and behave like flimsy cheap cotton. Just like flimsy cheap plastic will look and behave like flimsy cheap plastic.

Having served as the Detachment Leader for the Imperial Officer Corps and currently the Executive Officer for IOC, I've spent some significant time nearly begging people to stay away from certain costume makers who sell on eBay because, as said in this thread, you might get something for cheap, but what's the use when you have to scrap the whole thing anyway because the item sucks?

The Vader guys can point you in the right direction, even if it's just "away" from the wrong parts :) Some will be because they're cheap but other times, it'll be because it's inaccurate or bad workmanship (which is another consideration that's often at the bottom of an excited beginner costumer's list of priorities: durability).

Detachments can provide a wealth of information, while the local guys can provide hands-on guidance. We're here to help, so take advantage of us before spending money! ;)
Thanks, Rome! Yeah, I am big into quality and durability, so I will definitely take advantage of all the info anyone can offer. As excited as I am to get into the group, I want to get the best equipment I absolutely can. I appreciate the time you took to reply :D
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
drbones2nd
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 6844

Post by drbones2nd »

With the help of M Parent, I just finished my vader and may have some items for sale if you need some. Its an expensive build and not fun to wear, but is very cool. Shoot me a pm with your contact info.
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Obi-Ron »

Thanks everyone for the assistance, but I have decided to with a Stormtrooper. I do not have the girth to fill a Vader costume, and the cost is more efficient for a Catholic school teacher like myself!

Hope to join your ranks soon as an ESB trooper.

Ron
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

Just to avoid any future confusion, I'll just lock this thread.