Boba Fett beginner (possibly)

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member
Legion ID: 82611

Boba Fett beginner (possibly)

Post by Obi-Ron »

Has anyone out there recently built a Boba Fett costume? I was originally hoping to do Vader, but I may not have the body type at 6'1" and 170 lean and mean pounds... just not the girth for Vader, possibly. I'd like to research Boba as far as cost and construction. Anyone out there have any advice?
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Re: Boba Fett beginner (possibly)

Post by Terrell78 »

A good Boba costs more than a Vader. :wink:
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Obi-Ron »

That's kind of what I figured. :( I am trying on a Vader outfit, and if I am swimming in it and wouldn't be approved, I will probably go Stormtrooper. Thanks!
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
n0c00lgamertag
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 9241

Post by n0c00lgamertag »

Stormtrooper all the way... Go ESB at that, we need more of them! You are not far from the original suit size anyway. Will fit quite well.
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

Stormies can take more breaks at events -- Vaders are lucky if they can move from any one given spot for an hour or two at a time, or get to the break room within 20 minutes of starting to move toward it :)

(do whichever costume you want; not trying to direct you toward any particular outfit or discouraging you from doing what you want ;))
Gator Fett
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 8875

Post by Gator Fett »

The GLG's most recent Boba Fett build was completed by Matt Blodgett or Sachiel9 here on the boards. He would have the most updated idea about cost and avaiablility of parts. Although, most parts now adays are readily available anytime if you have the cash.

All things Boba Fett can be found at The Dented Helmet. Any question you could come up with, has most likely been asked and answered on TDH. But ... if you have something specific you are curious about, ask away and we can try and answer.

:cheers:
Gator
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Obi-Ron »

Oh, cool! Thanks so much for all of the info. I've heard horror stories about being Vader, but I still have the heart to do that if I fit the costume. However, I truly do feel that my body type is more Stormtrooper or Boba Fett. And I would go ESB classic, not a Snowtrooper or a big gunner. Besides, with my real gun on the range, I'm not a very accurate shot, so I also fit that part of it! :D

I'll check the updated Fett gear to see if I could swing that, but it could be better for a Catholic school teacher to swing a Stormie rather than a high priced bounty hunter.

Thanks again!!!
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Post by Lumpy »

Ron,
It sounds like you're going into this with the perfect attitude, which is a very big plus. The most important thing is to make a costume YOU are comfortable with and will enjoy wearing. Personality type is part of the deal as well. If you are going to do Vader, you HAVE to be willing to be "on" the entire time. As has been said, Vader can't go find a corner and be incognito for a bit - it just doesn't happen.
I've done over 200 events myself and 90% of them were as either Vader or Chewbacca. I love being in the middle of things, so it's almost never been a problem for me. I also like playing around and interacting with people which is why the Chewie costume ended up being a better choice for me (to the point where I recently sold my Vader to another garrison member). We've had people sell their Vader costumes in large part because they didn't like being the center of attention all the time. That is something to consider for yourself as well.

As far as your size goes - if anything will present a problem with you doing a good Vader costume, it will be the 170 pounds more than the 6'1". I'm 6' myself and when I did Vader, I had lifts in my shoes so I topped out at about 6'6" all costumed up. However, I'm in between 195 and 200 pounds (depending on what I had for lunch). I would have people sometimes say that they thought Vader would be taller, but Vader is also about presence. If you can have the presence AND be 6'7" (like Mike Parent) then you REALLY have something special, but most of us normal sized people have to rely more on the attitude part of the deal. :wink:
I know you talked to Mike and are going to set up a time to go check out his stuff, which is a GREAT idea. See what's involved (my Vader costume for example, weighed 35 pounds without the cooling vest I would wear sometimes). RESEARCH is your best friend right now - and it sounds like you're on the right track as far as gathering your info before getting froggy and just jumping into things and costing yourself later. If I can be of any assistance, let me know.
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Obi-Ron »

Thanks, Lumpy. I think it's pretty clear now that I should go Stormtrooper. I won't say I am disappointed about the Vader part, but I am such a Star Wars fan, being an authentic trooper will still be a lot of fun. Besides, in real life with my real gun on the shooting range, I'm not a great shot anyway, so I do fit the part!

I don't mind being "on" all the time since that's what I do professionally - I am a teacher, and used to being the center of attention all day. Sometimes it's tough, but I could do it as Vader. Maybe some day if someone is selling a Vader costume like you did, I will buy it and make some Vader appearances if I am approved.

For now, I will be very happy as a Stormtrooper, and will just get one that's as authentic as possible since I was prepared to go all the way to buy Vader.

Thanks everyone for the great advice! :D
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper