Was wondering if I could ask questions about a nonSW project

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Child-of-War

Was wondering if I could ask questions about a nonSW project

Post by Child-of-War »

Currently I have a Don Post Imperial Guard helmet that I plan to replace the visor and probably repaint (it's scratched a bit anyways). I'll probably go to the forcepike forums for specific questions on that though. I was however wondering if I could ask crafting questions here about a project that isn't Star Wars, infact it's something I'd have to do some guess work on since there are only art images of the armor.

Just wanted to make sure it would be fine to ask such stuff here before I jump in and start posting image links and asking a thousand questions.
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Re: Was wondering if I could ask questions about a nonSW project

Post by Terrell78 »

Ask away, many of the members have non-SW costumes.
Child-of-War

Post by Child-of-War »

Well, I really want to try my hand at creating a good quality "Deadboy" armor. The armor is from the tabletop RPG RIFTS (yeah, not that MMO Rift) by Palladium Books, their office based in Westland Michigan. A few years back someone did make a rather nice costume of the old style Deadboy armor and gifted it to Palladium (you can probably find images of it if you google search for it).

The armor I want to make is the "new style" of the Deadboy armor that was shown in the Coallition War Campaign book. I google searched to find an image rather than try to make a good scan without hurting the book binding: [EDIT BY CRIMSON; SEE BELOW]
The one on the left is the design I hope to make.
I've never undertaken a project like this so any pointing to good sites for info on making custom pieces of armor and such and any tips would be great. I am a a little concerned about making a helmet that will have such a large visor piece and would plan to probably extend the back of the helmet a little bit to place in vents and maybe a small fan.

I'm not expecting this to be cheap or quick, I am hoping to complete it in about 9 months, but this is certainly something I won't be rushing.
Last edited by Crimson on Fri May 11, 2012 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Imageshack link removed due to excessive pop-ups as part of their service. Suggest an alternate photo source.
Child-of-War

Post by Child-of-War »

Okay, better links, actually went to Deviantart and found some good images.

First this is what someone actually did make, the "old style" armor: http://fav.me/d1l84ad

But this is the style of armor I want to make: http://fav.me/d4uuo0p
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

Without knowing exactly what this armor is, you may be looking at needing a crash-course in mold making and vacuum forming, which -- from what little I understand of the process -- may take more than 9 months and a couple thousand dollars in equipment, materials, and mistakes. But since I know nothing of the actual process, don't take my word for it.
Myshadowstar
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 7957

Post by Myshadowstar »

The shoulder pads make me think of Football shoulderpads. Maybe compare the two and see if you could utilize that and just bondo and other stuff to make it fully like the picture. Rest would prob have to be vac formed which as Rome said can take a lot of time. You can check w members that have vac tables but you would still have to make a mold.
"Only the Shadow knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men..."

Myshadowstar

------------
Old Republic Jedi- complete
Imperial Officer- complete

Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

Yes, the mold process for all those parts would be very time consuming and pricey. I have to say though, would be a BA costume!!!