Going to "attempt" to start a TK build.

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
trooper_pawz216

Going to "attempt" to start a TK build.

Post by trooper_pawz216 »

So I wanted to attempt to start a TK build for my first costuming tackle and I had a couple questions on where to start.

**Under portions (body suit, neck collar, etc.) my mom knows how to sew and is a professional seamstress so I think she should be able to help with any sewing I may need. If she gets busy or if I end up being oober picky about what I want things to look like (based on Legion standards of course), where can I find some of those items online or locally to be able to pair with my costume (I know of the one site where you can purchase trooper boots the name escapes me at the moment)? Working on constructing my own 501st reference binder that will have the breakdown sheets of each costume I wish to attempt/am working on/ (in the future) have completed along with photos. [took the liberty of downloading the legion PDFs to my laptop].

**ATA (affordable trooper armor): due to my medical conditions, money is tight and I do want to do this as full out and as best as I possibly can but make it affordable at the same time [this may sound common, not too sure! Bear with me, I'm new to all this!). Where can I find the ATA kits or what other options would be available for me to utilize?

I think that just about does it for my basic questions for now. I apologize if maybe these have been asked and answered before. Want to get trooping as soon as I can. Thank you everyone for your advice in advance!

Missy
n0c00lgamertag
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 9241

Re: Going to "attempt" to start a TK build.

Post by n0c00lgamertag »

ATA is made right here in Michigan. Look for then PM a gent named Terrell78...
Last edited by n0c00lgamertag on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n0c00lgamertag
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by n0c00lgamertag »

Waiting list most likely...
trooper_pawz216

That's helpful! Thank you! I don't have a problem waiting :-). Not a bad start!

Do you happen to know about how much it'll run me or do prices vary?
n0c00lgamertag
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by n0c00lgamertag »

No I don't sorry. Got mine a couple if years back. Would be guessing...
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Post by Mr Fett »

Yes, Terrell is your guy to go to. Yes, he's backed up on orders but you can start buying things like the blaster, holster, boots, undersuit, gloves, neckseal while waiting. Also, just FYI so your OCD doesn't go too whacked-out....the movie style Stormtrooper armors that are screen accurate are wonky looking. That's how the originals in the movies were. Non-symetrical, wonky looking pieces.

EVERYTHING Stormtrooper related is found here: www.whitearmor.net
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

Post by DeafTrooper »

For the undersuits, we just use black compression suits from the sporting goods store, or something equivalent.
CT/ID-7859
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop

Post by Mr Fett »

Yep. I use the Starter brand cheap stuff from Wal-Mart. Harder to find the long pants in the "off season" of summer right now there, but any sporting goods store would carry something similar. You'll want the warm weather kind to wick moisture away from your skin, not the cold gear.
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

Neck seal is easy enough to sew for oneself (because if I did it, anyone can! ;)).

For gloves, I just use black gardening/utility gloves from the hardware store and rip off any tags and brand name labels that shouldn't be there, or black them out with a Sharpie.

My undersuit is a long sleeve compression shirt & pants, Starter brand, about $10-12 each. No need to go full UA (and as an amateur athlete, Under Armour in general is highly overrated anyway ;)).

As a long-hair, I also wear a black balaclava under my helmet (and that one IS Under Armour brand), for hair management.

While waiting for armor, you can also work on the blaster & holster as well as comparing cooling & audio systems. No trooper does the same thing as any other trooper, so this is a pretty wide-open field as well and a lot of good ideas can be generated just by trying out things without being hampered by "this is how you do it," though if you have an idea, it's best to ask first so that you don't go wasting any money just in case something HAS been tried and proven to be a failure :)

All in all, while the excitement of working on a project and joining can be pretty heavy, save, Save, SAVE your money rather than blowing it all piecemeal. Taking time and exhibiting patience may conflict with wanting to get in right away, but in the end, slow-and-steady and doing it right will be more satisfying than doing it right away.
trooper_pawz216

Crimson: that makes sense! Took my brain a bit to process it but it makes sense now! Between now and when I had originally posted, I've started looking into some pieces for my TB/biker scout build as well and came across a site (while doing some extensive digging and browsing) that offers an armor and helmet kit for sale (it's about 570 bucks) wasn't sure if anyone had any experience themselves with the site or if they knew anyone personally that has used it. http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/bi ... rsale.html. That was the site I came across. Any feedback is helpful! I'm starting on my TK neck seals and I already have gloves and balaclava. Just gotta go dig em out of storage!

Also, good hair tips! I have long hair myself and worry about it getting mis managed and such!

Happy Trooping!

Missy
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop

Post by Mr Fett »

Studiocreations is good Scout armor. Totally trustworthy.
Dankelzaga
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 60688

Post by Dankelzaga »

I'm extremely happy with my Studio Creations stuff. The maker (Jeff) is a heck of a nice guy also. Should you have any need for biker scout info drop me a line. WWW.Bikerscout.Net is the end all be all of info relative to scouts.

Good luck with everything.
trooper_pawz216

Dankelzaga wrote:I'm extremely happy with my Studio Creations stuff. The maker (Jeff) is a heck of a nice guy also. Should you have any need for biker scout info drop me a line. http://WWW.Bikerscout.Net is the end all be all of info relative to scouts.

Good luck with everything.

Thank you!!! I certainly will keep you in mind! I'm going to need all the help I can get!
trooper_pawz216

So just realized I've been pretty scarce on here! Its been an interesting couple of months but because of some newly acquired downtime recently, I've been starting on some small baby steps towards completing my armor.

I have decided to start out with a TB build first and then will work on my TK build down the road. My mom, boyfriend, and I have been starting to work on looking for some basic pieces to my armor either online or locally (darling boyfriend has taken to looking at Joe's/Harry's Army Navy for a few things for me but keeping in mind needing it to be up to 501st standards). I am saving up to order my armor off of the previously mentioned site, just hoping I can get a correct fit for my body.

I did have a question, what tool/tools would I need for any trimming that I may need to do of my armor? Trying to figure out if there may be some things I already have for this. Thanks everyone in advance!

Missy

P.S. Sorry for all the run on sentences, I decided to take a much needed study break and am running really low on substantial sleep.
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop

Post by Mr Fett »

SC armor comes trimmed out already, but in case you have to do more, a Dremel Tool with cutting disc is what we all use to cut plastic. Or, you can score and snap sections with an Exacto knife. Edges can be smoothed down with sandpaper.
trooper_pawz216

So thought I would give an update,

making some headway in getting going again with the base pieces (jumpsuit, gloves, etc). I got a new golden puppy and she got hold of my bag of new stuff I got for my base pieces and chewed them apart. :mad: :mad: Needless to say momma here was not a happy camper.

Anywho, about 65% of the way saved to order armor and am beginning to work on a storage box/contanier for my costume once complete. Gives me a good goal to shoot for.

Hope everyone has been well and hope to go to an upcoming armor party if possible!

xoxo Missy