Beginning ATA Build

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
STRWRS
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 66700

Beginning ATA Build

Post by STRWRS »

I am beginning my ATA armor build and was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a thread that walks me through how to trim the armor and how to assemble the pieces. I'm guessing there has to be a thread with pictures already out there that shows where to make standard cuts. I'm trying to follow the "measure twice, cut once" rule because once you make a cut there's no adding back if you've cut too much off. Thanks to anyone that can point me in the right direction to get me started. I appreciate the help.
Mayhem75
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 62946

Re: Beginning ATA Build

Post by Mayhem75 »

Check out whitearmor.net this is a site that will answer most if not all of your questions. As for the ATA armor I do not have much knowledge of it. My suit is an RT-Mod. But the FISD will have plenty of info on the ATA. Good luck on your build and have fun!! :thumbs:

MAYHEM
TK-62946
MAYHEM
Micheal May
TK/TS/TA-62946
n0c00lgamertag
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 9241

Post by n0c00lgamertag »

Mayhem75 wrote:Check out whitearmor.net this is a site that will answer most if not all of your questions. As for the ATA armor I do not have much knowledge of it. My suit is an RT-Mod. But the FISD will have plenty of info on the ATA. Good luck on your build and have fun!! :thumbs:

MAYHEM
TK-62946
What he said...
There is a tutorial section with all you need to know. The maker of the armor is not so important as how it goes together.
STRWRS
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by STRWRS »

I've masked off the line between the smooth and rough portions of the shoulder bell to give me a line to cut along. What is the best way to cut the plastic? Are there special scissors I shoul use? I see a lot of people use a Dremel but I'm not clear on which cutting attachment they use. Once I make the cut I assume I should sand the edge with a fine grit wet/dry sandpaper, right? This will be my first attempt at trimming so I want to make sure I do it right. Thanks for any advice you can offer before I cut.
Attachments
Shoulder bell ready to cut
Shoulder bell ready to cut
IMG-20130820-00025.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 13590 times
Flash
Garrison Advisor
Garrison Advisor
Legion ID: 5156

Post by Flash »

I don't have an ATA, I have an AP but I think you wanna cut closer to the rough part. Then if you need it smaller trim more then. Once you cut it, it's gone forever.

There are several methods to cut such as scissors, dremel and score and snap. I recommend reading on whitearmor all of the methods and tutorials you can before beginning this build. I've spent hours reading before making the first cut just to make sure I didn't screw up.

Nobody can tell you the best way to do this for you, it's important to read everything and make the decision on your own. You might be better at score and snap then you are at dremmeling. The majority of mine was trimmed with the score and snap method, but many others used only a dremel. It's up to you.

Good luck!
Mike Lica - 5156
I like Star Wars
Mayhem75
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 62946

Post by Mayhem75 »

Truer words can not be said! I read and read and read and read and read. Asked a few questions - then read and read and read.... Taped and measured and adjusted and retaped and read and adjusted and retaped..... Then made my first cut (score and snap) and the panic set in as I hoped it would be OK..... and it turned out great (I think anyway). The first cut is the scariest (start on the biceps - easiest of the fittings)

Take your time do not rush and as the fustration increases (it was a roller coaster for me up and down) take a break. It will all be worth it in the end!

Most of all have fun!

MAYHEM
TK-62946
MAYHEM
Micheal May
TK/TS/TA-62946
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Post by Terrell78 »

Yep, move the tape closer to the edge, you are cutting into the shoulder bell quite a bit.
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

Score-n-snap work better for larger pieces and straighter edges. Using a Dremel alone is, to me, a lesson in futility and uneven lines.

Although it's murder on my fingers, I use a pair of scissors that were designed specifically for cutting plastic. Always cut MUCH less than you think you need and use fine-grain technique to get closer to the desired finished edge.

You can always cut more off, but can never put plastic back on if you cut too much.

Once I cut off what I need, I smooth the edges with very coarse-grit sandpaper (like 60) then finish with fine-grain sandpaper.

Cut, test fit, cut some more.
STRWRS
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by STRWRS »

Thanks for the continued feedback. I appreciate every bit of advice that anyone offers. I have a fair amount of Irwin quick grip clamps at home but I want to get some smaller quick release clamps. Haven't found what I want at Lowes or Home Depot yet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm also interested in scissors designed to cut the plastic. Are these like tin snips?
Flash
Garrison Advisor
Garrison Advisor
Legion ID: 5156

Post by Flash »

Check Harbor freight for clamps. They are much cheaper. Cheaper in quality as well, but are good enough for what you are using them for.
Mike Lica - 5156
I like Star Wars
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Post by Terrell78 »

STRWRS wrote: I'm also interested in scissors designed to cut the plastic. Are these like tin snips?
You are looking for curved tip hobby scissors, also called lexan scissors. Most RC car shops carry them for around $6 a pair. Look them over, they are bent by hand at the factory and the curve can very from pair to pair.