Need TK build advice

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
mjrose927
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 12037

Need TK build advice

Post by mjrose927 »

I am combing through the forums to figure out how best to start building up my armor.

Let me start by saying, I bought my suit 10 years ago. It is an FX armor kit. At the time, I was told this was the best one to get. I attended a build party through the garrison one afternoon shortly after and was helped to get forearm pieces done. I am 5'8" about 180lbs. The last time I looked none of the pieces had yellowed. The armor has been sealed int he box it came in and stored in a cool dark area of my basement. Every year i tell myself I am going to finish it and this year I mean it. I am nervous to start the process because i do not want to do irreparable mistakes.

Questions i have:
1. I am short so, I know I will most likely have to do trimming. I am not sure how to do that especially with pieces like the calves that have no linear curves and details I don't want to remove.
2. I have read a number of posts on joint for parts both acceptable and not acceptable like end butt vs overlap. When to use where not to use.
3. Originally i was told when I bought my suit that velcro and sanps were the way to go. Reading through these threads the past week, it now seems that certain seams or joints should not have anything to be more accurate.
4. Obviously, I have seen and been told that FX helmet is no longer acceptable. Are there still local molders that I can talk with to get better helmet design?
5. I believe my FX set came with ANH hand plates. So, imagine I will go that route for style details. Plus, ANH is my favorite of the movies anyway.
6. I stated that mine is FX armor. With me being so short, how much modification am I going to need to do make it fit someone my size.
7. i have been to a number of sites on assembling TK kit, but none of them have level of detail that I want to begin assembling my armor. I bought a dremmel for the assembly party i went to, but it was so long ago I am hesitant to use that now. ARe there any tutorials anyone recommends to show techniques of how to and NEVEN DO THAT tips?

I am sure I will be adding more questions later. Appreciate the input.

Michael
MIchael Rose TK-12037 Great Lakes Garrison
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bft9ai ... sp=sharing

"I keep telling them that we're the good guys. Only the good guys wear white."
mjrose927
GLG Member
GLG Member

Re: Need TK build advice

Post by mjrose927 »

This is an old video post in youtube. Does anyone know if the mods he did to assemble his armor are acceptable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMZhpY9 ... 1Hd45yXCed

TKed
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 51505

Post by TKed »

I am a "short" trooper as well. Lets not forget that most troopers in ANH were 5'8 to 6'1. :shock:

All your questions can be answer at
http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/

Dont forget to register so you can post questions.
Last edited by TKed on Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ed Torre MW 51505

-ANH Stormtrooper Stunt
-Mandalorian Death Watch
Mowskwoz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7794

Post by Mowskwoz »

mjrose927 wrote:This is an old video post in youtube. Does anyone know if the mods he did to assemble his armor are acceptable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMZhpY9 ... 1Hd45yXCed
The "Dave's garage" series of videos are outdated. While it will give you an idea of how it all goes together, there are many things that he does that are no longer acceptable.

Your best bet is whitearmor.net. Everyone is very helpful there and it's where most of us started our builds. It has the most up to date info and there are plenty of "tips and tricks" threads to help you along the way.
GLG Commanding Officer - 2012-2018, 2020–
GLG Captain of the Guard - 2019
ANH Stormtrooper - F.I.S.D. Expert Infantryman
GLB X-Wing Pilot - Shadow 77
Snowtrooper Commander - Thunder Snow Assault Squad
R2 Builder
Flash
Garrison Advisor
Garrison Advisor
Legion ID: 5156

Post by Flash »

I will be honest with you, I think the FX kit is the worst option for a short trooper. That bucket will look like a bobble head on you. I would consider selling it and getting a newer kit that fits you better. At the very minimum get a different helmet.
Mike Lica - 5156
I like Star Wars
mjrose927
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by mjrose927 »

Does anyone know if any of the listed vendors would have an ABS that would match color and gloss of an FX kit assuming mine is still in like new quality without any deterioration over time?

AP and ATA are usually close enough not to notice a difference in most lighting situations.

Flash
Garrison Advisor
Garrison Advisor

Post by Flash »

Its hard to say. I see different shades of white from the same armor makers. It probably depends on the material they receive. My AP kit has a slightly blue tint to it when out on the ice standing next to other TK's.
Mike Lica - 5156
I like Star Wars
Brewski
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 11105

Post by Brewski »

If you are looking for different vendors check out the "Getting Started link on FISD.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/3 ... his-first/

Just look for ABS. If you are looking for a smaller kit the RS is a good choice. It is based off the original troopers that were around 6' :thumbs:
"Brewski" TK/TS/TB 11105

ImageImageImage
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Post by Mr Fett »

Like Flash said, even armor from the same maker varies in coloration, depending on the batch of plastic they received each time they bought some. So you’ll never be able to find exactly the color match to your FX body armor…but…in the original ANH and ESB movies, the color of white on the armor was not the same white as the helmets anyway, so having the helmet a slightly different shade than the body is actually screen accurate to have.
Andrew Miller

"Boba Fett? I never really pictured you being from Michigan before." ~ George Lucas 5-8-2010
mjrose927
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by mjrose927 »

Ok. I can't figure out how to attach pictures, but i did pull out my abs and it looks exactly like I remember. everything is still nice and white. I also noticed everything I have done was attached with white hook and loop. So, I can use all the most accurate joint techniques. Looking at the bucket it does look a little big, but for now I will put this one together until i can get the funds for new one. I looked that FX helmet is still ok for lowest level of armor acceptance, but hope to get to the highest level eventually.

I painted the frown on the helmet and I also sprayed the inside black. Left a strip of white around the eye holes to glue the lenses and a strip a long the bottom about 1/4".

I have already marked the Monroe comicon on my calendar. I will be there when the doors open looking for you guys. Thanks.

Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop

Post by Mr Fett »

That works. Do the mods to the armor you have until you want to upgrade down the line. :) You are right, the FX helmet is allowed for the base level 501st, but since you mentioned eventually trying for the highest accuracy level TK in the 501st (Centurion level), this will require replacing the entire set of armor with a movie styled suit, not just the helmet. Just FYI.

So, the options are: Build what you have and troop with it, then down the line buy another accurate set of armor and build that one and reach Centurion level movie style, or sell off your current armor before you construct it, and then use those funds to dump into a movie style armor set right off the bat. Either way works, just really depends on you.
Andrew Miller

"Boba Fett? I never really pictured you being from Michigan before." ~ George Lucas 5-8-2010
TKed
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 51505

Post by TKed »

i just trooped with someone who has an FX armor and it looked great. He changed the helmet with something more current and it looked pretty good. I think he had an ATA helmet. You ca get an AP for $200 as well
Ed Torre MW 51505

-ANH Stormtrooper Stunt
-Mandalorian Death Watch
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop

Post by Mr Fett »

ENFORCER wrote:i just trooped with someone who has an FX armor and it looked great. He changed the helmet with something more current and it looked pretty good. I think he had an ATA helmet. You ca get an AP for $200 as well
Yeah, Zambam. He did all the mods I told him to for the FX upgrades when he was building his kit. Same stuff I told you the other day on your other thread, mjrose927. He has an ATA helmet kit, which costs less than the AP helmet kit ENFORCER just mentioned, but they're equal quality and style.
Andrew Miller

Mowskwoz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7794

Post by Mowskwoz »

mjrose927 wrote:Ok. I can't figure out how to attach pictures
Use a photo sharing site like photobucket(http://www.photobucket.com) and paste the links to the photos here.

The links should be setup like this.

[img]addressforthelinkhere[/img]
GLG Commanding Officer - 2012-2018, 2020–
GLG Captain of the Guard - 2019
ANH Stormtrooper - F.I.S.D. Expert Infantryman
GLB X-Wing Pilot - Shadow 77
Snowtrooper Commander - Thunder Snow Assault Squad
R2 Builder
mjrose927
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by mjrose927 »

Ok. After having viewed a number of videos via whitearmor.net and reading through some of the posts there on construction, I have made a couple startling discoveries.

The first is the FX armor dies not seem to kens itself to being made with butt joints. Only one side of the clam shells have the flat on them. I was doing research to see if I could shape the abs to create the other flat. While this may work for the forearms, there is no way to do this for say the calf pieces.

I so badly want to start working in it, but at thus point I feel like I should wait to view some sets live and up close in October before just diving into the project.

I have found the pictures of the armor to use as a guide, but I am still looking for a good guide on how to size the armor ie where to do the trimming, where should pieces sit,if a piece is/feels too long on me how to trim to make it fit better and still maintain the armor features, etc...

Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop

Post by Mr Fett »

FX armor was specifically sculpted to have the 2 halves clamshell together for the purpose of not having to do the butt joint method. Makes it easier and faster to put together than a butt jointed set. Remember, they were going for generic costumers en masse, not experienced builders.
Andrew Miller

mjrose927
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by mjrose927 »

I was reading through the build guides at:
http://www.whitearmor.net/fisd/Tutorial-arms

To avoid using shims on my FX forearms, do you think there would be an issue to butt joint assemble them even though they are meant to be overlapped? If i did the math right, this would give me up to 5/8" more armor wrap.

Luckily, the inside half would be the piece without the butt step on it and may not be noticed? What do you think?

Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

You can do the overlap method. The butt joint method is only required for level 3 certification.
Flash
Garrison Advisor
Garrison Advisor

Post by Flash »

Ripcode wrote:You can do the overlap method. The butt joint method is only required for level 3 certification.
And looks soooo much better.
Mike Lica - 5156
I like Star Wars
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop

Post by Mr Fett »

Flash wrote:
Ripcode wrote:You can do the overlap method. The butt joint method is only required for level 3 certification.
And looks soooo much better.
But in the case of his suit, he'd have to replace literally the entire set of armor to get level 3, anyway. Just build it using the overlap method, cause that's what that FX armor was designed to be built like.
Andrew Miller