Page 1 of 1

DIY Code Discs

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:14 am
by Mauvais
I made some Imperial Code Discs over the weekend and would love some insight. Which one looks the most screen accurate and therefore approvable? They are made from circle mirrors which come appropriately scaled, topped with a finishing (exactly 1/2) or flat washer (9/16 instead of 1/2). I decided to use washers instead of the smallest mirror so that the indentation would be clearly visible.

Image

Base coat of grey paint to hide the mirror, unfortunately doesn't hide the superglue smudges but these are test runs :thumbs:

Image

Unpainted to show the heigh difference between the three combinations

Image

First: Mirrors + Both Washers
Second: Mirrors + Flat Washer
Third: Mirrors + Finishing Washer

Re: DIY Code Discs

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:26 am
by stasz
This is from the Code Disk detail page:

Imperial Code Disk:
A stepped cone shape appearing to be 3 disks stacked on top of one another.
Occasionally a 2 stepped version is seen, such as on the Snowtrooper Commander.
The bottom disk is 1" (25.3 mm) the middle disk is 3/4" (19.1 mm) and the top disk is 1/2" (12.7 mm.)
There is an indentation in the center of the top disk about 1/4" (6.4 mm)
These code disks are most often found on officer hats and imperial belt buckles.
Occasionally they are found on various helmets
400px-Imperial_Code_Disk.jpg
400px-Imperial_Code_Disk.jpg (13.33 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
I think the middle one looks the best, but would recommend a metallic aluminum/silver/chrome colored paint.

These look decent, and It's always fun to make stuff but just fyi there are highly polished, machined aluminum discs available from several sources for about $5.

Re: DIY Code Discs

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:29 am
by Muppet-Trooper
I highly recommend Elvis Troopers Code Discs, a good price and quality product!

http://www.elvistrooper.com/disk.htm

Re: DIY Code Discs

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:40 am
by Mauvais
Muppet-Trooper wrote:I highly recommend Elvis Troopers Code Discs, a good price and quality product!

http://www.elvistrooper.com/disk.htm
Will do, Thanks for the link!

Re: DIY Code Discs

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:42 am
by Mauvais
stasz wrote:This is from the Code Disk detail page:

Imperial Code Disk:
A stepped cone shape appearing to be 3 disks stacked on top of one another.
Occasionally a 2 stepped version is seen, such as on the Snowtrooper Commander.
The bottom disk is 1" (25.3 mm) the middle disk is 3/4" (19.1 mm) and the top disk is 1/2" (12.7 mm.)
There is an indentation in the center of the top disk about 1/4" (6.4 mm)
These code disks are most often found on officer hats and imperial belt buckles.
Occasionally they are found on various helmets
400px-Imperial_Code_Disk.jpg
I think the middle one looks the best, but would recommend a metallic aluminum/silver/chrome colored paint.

These look decent, and It's always fun to make stuff but just fyi there are highly polished, machined aluminum discs available from several sources for about $5.
Good to know, thank you for the information!
I figured the comparative price being the same, it wouldn't hurt to take a stab at it.

Re: DIY Code Discs

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:11 am
by Jeanbart
stasz wrote: These look decent, and It's always fun to make stuff but just fyi there are highly polished, machined aluminum discs available from several sources for about $5.
Is $5 considered cheap for those btw?

Re: DIY Code Discs

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:12 am
by Ripcode
Jeanbart wrote:
stasz wrote: These look decent, and It's always fun to make stuff but just fyi there are highly polished, machined aluminum discs available from several sources for about $5.
Is $5 considered cheap for those btw?
Yes.