Costume Bay/Costume Base Warnings

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Costume Bay/Costume Base Warnings

Post by Kal »

As for Costume Bay / Costme Base. (the ebay guy) For the Imp officer uniform. We have been talking on the IOC forums about this subject. And what the IOC (Imperial officer corp) said was that the Olive and the Grey uniform were way off and do notn look good at all. The Black Officer can be worked with to make up to 501st standards.

On the Black officer costume you need to fix the Neck. It has about a 1/2 to 1" gap on the mid of the neck. This needs to be closed up. The pants as is can be used. Most of the probs with the uniform is the neck. Other then that.

The belt- oval shaped buckle. that will need to be replaced.

The Hat- looks pretty good. The only one who had major probs with it is the same person who charges over 80.00 for theirs :roll: :wink:

The rank bars- cheap foam rubber over sized crap. they can not be used at all. So buy one from me :thumbs: I have all good feedback on ebay for my bars :wink: :wink: :wink:

Other then that you just need to do some small mods to get it to fir you better.
For an examp.
Image You can see that buckle shape. it oval and you need to get a better one from Tandy for about 5 bucks. What makes somoe members mad is that the belt is very good. You just need to get a 5.oo buckle to fix it up. So a full belt can be in your hand after shipping for under 15.00 and that is counting the new buckle you will need. You can also see what I am talking about with the rank bars. The hat as you can see looks pretty good. the ear muffs make it look odd. But is not bad.

If you must go with Costume base. Get the black uniform and fix up the belt and Rank bars. and then alter it a bit to fit better.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%
DarkTrooper013
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 5750

Re: Costume Bay/Costume Base Warnings

Post by DarkTrooper013 »

I second the Black officers uniform from costume base and when your fixing the greeblie on the hat I recomend Elvistrooper for that his are the best that money can buy. :twisted:
lavagrrrl
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7305

Post by lavagrrrl »

The black officer still has the too short jacket, too thin material, as well and no lining. It's funny how they photograph so much better than they look in person. The hats tend to come in the wrong size, but if you get the right size and a new greeblie, it's OK. The biggest problem is the jacket, though. Not only would you need to mod the collar, you'd need to line it, add the seaming to get a better fit, and make it longer without an obvious seam. I know it is a difficult costume to make, but with all those mods, it seems like it would be more cost efficient to just make one from scratch rather than re-do the entire thing to make it look good.

The really funny thing about their costume is how it looks so much better when photographed than in person. :?:
Susie Leopold
Great Lakes Garrison--Inactive by choice, stop the rumors & ask me directly.
Great lakes Base
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

I split the Costume Bay/Costume Base opinion posts off into it's own thread. :)

I am glad you guys are talking about this vendor. A lot of people are under the impression they are buying 501st approved costumes from this vendor. From what I have heard and what you guys are saying that doesn't sound like the case. :?
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

Ripcode, you should be able to get into the IOC forums and see what the IOC said abou the costume. If you want I can give you the PW to the ID only section. We had a 5 page + topic on just this costume. and also a Poll and the Costume by the IOC standards is OK as long as the mods listed are done. only then can it be let in. When I was in Toronto last summer I was with a MI squad member who has the black officer uniform and he got several compliments on the uniform. And only then the people were like "thats the costume base" Out of the box it is a NO. with the mods it is a Yes.

Over at the Sith Lord Detachment we had the same thing going on with the Rubies Vader. Some said No, no matter what was done to fix the costume. Most said yes. With a list of mods needed to be done (all done) and a few even said Yes as is :whatthe:

For some of the SLD members based on how they voted on the rubies with mods. This vader would be a NO to them. Every thing But the helmet and gloves Are RUBIES with some time and paint. The Rubies helmet was not even a ROTS mold and the gloves were also not right, so they were 2 things that had to be moded.

Thats why most 75% of the IOC voters said Yes to the costume base WITH MODS. as lone as that is done it should be let it. What came out as the big problem wih the costume , was that a lot of members who spent hrs make'n it or a few hundred gettting it made had problems with it.

why should it be a quick in for them. The Vader also did not like the fact that with a MR mask and some LA gloves and some time and paint. You could have a ROTS vader like this one for under 1,200 and to most Vaders who have to drop 2500+ that would not sit well with them. And when it comes down to it. Only us and a few other would know that its not 100% cannon.

To the fans and kids.....They see an Imperial Officer.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

So me and my buddy started on his Vader EP3 and I guess my ? is can I get the link to the SLD so that we can see what the req. are? I hate for him to spend a lot of work and money into this and find out that it is not canon. Rip you know what we have for him so far and we only have about 1/3 of it so far.

Please any help would be great!!!
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

arccommander wrote:So me and my buddy started on his Vader EP3 and I guess my ? is can I get the link to the SLD so that we can see what the req. are? I hate for him to spend a lot of work and money into this and find out that it is not canon. Rip you know what we have for him so far and we only have about 1/3 of it so far.

PM sent

you will hav eto sign up for the forums and then have a mod OK your act.

If you have any Q's feel free to ask me also. I know the ROTS vader pretty well :wink: :wink:
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

arccommander wrote:So me and my buddy started on his Vader EP3 and I guess my ? is can I get the link to the SLD so that we can see what the req. are? I hate for him to spend a lot of work and money into this and find out that it is not canon. Rip you know what we have for him so far and we only have about 1/3 of it so far.

Anton,

There are several Vaders on this forum. Questions? Ask away! :)
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

And why this forum, Costume Resources and Questions, exists ;)