Mike's Vader Build Thread - APPROVED - SL4014!

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Yoda Jenkins
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 4014

Re: Mike's Vader Build Thread

Post by Yoda Jenkins »

SL2280 wrote:Ripcode you are not seeing this reply. [waves hand like Obi] "these aren't the shins you are looking for"
And that's why it's cool to be Vader. :D
SL2280 wrote:I am a mod on that site. I will get a hold of the ADMINS when I get home and tell them to hurry up
And thanks for the help (again!).
Y.J.
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Post by Terrell78 »

SL2280 wrote:as for the shins.....well just do not let Ripcode know you have ROTS shins :roll: since he is the GML. Ripcode you are not seeing this reply. [waves hand like Obi] "these aren't the shins you are looking for"
Doesn't matter, GMLs don't approve Sith Lord anyway.
Gator Fett
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 8875

Post by Gator Fett »

terrell78 wrote:
SL2280 wrote:as for the shins.....well just do not let Ripcode know you have ROTS shins :roll: since he is the GML. Ripcode you are not seeing this reply. [waves hand like Obi] "these aren't the shins you are looking for"
Doesn't matter, GMLs don't approve Sith Lord anyway.
Not entirely true. GML's are always the first point of contact and review for any costume. The final approval for a SL has to come from the LMO, but if the GML does not approve of the costume, it will not even be presented to Thomas.
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

No problem...

The LMO is the one that approves Sith Lords and EU characters! :P

ETA: LOL! Looks like Gator and I replied at the same time!
shawnpane
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by shawnpane »

Gator Fett wrote:SL2280 wrote:
as for the shins.....well just do not let Ripcode know you have ROTS shins since he is the GML. Ripcode you are not seeing this reply. [waves hand like Obi] "these aren't the shins you are looking for"

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
"I'D do almost anything for A peek under that
helmet"..."almost anything."
"not today...I'm here on buisness."
J.F.
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Post by Kal »

any word or updates on your vader?????
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%
Yoda Jenkins
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Yoda Jenkins »

SL2280 wrote:any word or updates on your vader?????
Well, I finally found some material, so on Sunday I finished my inner robe (thanks for the advice Shawn!). I may have to make one adjustment when I get my shoulder armor in, but I think it turned out pretty good. I won't start on my outer cloak until I get the armor so I can be sure and get the length right.

My codpiece came in and looks good. I need to make one adjustment for the belt boxes, but that should be no big deal. My shoulder and shin armor is "in the mail" and should get here sometime this week (I hope). I've got the resin cast pieces for my chestbox, I'll probably start on the box this weekend.

I need to get working on my helmet, but I'm a bit reticent to start making cuts with the dremel (although I know it'll happen sooner of later!).

I'll get some pics up this weekend for a critique. :)
Y.J.
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

Yoda Jenkins wrote:
SL2280 wrote:any word or updates on your vader?????
Well, I finally found some material, so on Sunday I finished my inner robe (thanks for the advice Shawn!). I may have to make one adjustment when I get my shoulder armor in, but I think it turned out pretty good. I won't start on my outer cloak until I get the armor so I can be sure and get the length right.

My codpiece came in and looks good. I need to make one adjustment for the belt boxes, but that should be no big deal. My shoulder and shin armor is "in the mail" and should get here sometime this week (I hope). I've got the resin cast pieces for my chestbox, I'll probably start on the box this weekend.

I need to get working on my helmet, but I'm a bit reticent to start making cuts with the dremel (although I know it'll happen sooner of later!).

I'll get some pics up this weekend for a critique. :)
So what Vader did you pick to go with??? You should not have to worry about the inner robe. Since it is under the armor. so the armor would not change the spot it sits. Unless you picked a ANH vader since his robe is over the armor.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Yoda Jenkins
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Yoda Jenkins »

I'll be an ESB Vader. Since most of the stuff I had originally came from ESB, it was an easy choice.
Y.J.
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

Yoda Jenkins wrote:I'll be an ESB Vader. Since most of the stuff I had originally came from ESB, it was an easy choice.
nice :cool:

looking forward to updates. seeing a Vader or a Fett come to life always makes for good forum topics :thumbs:
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Yoda Jenkins
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Yoda Jenkins »

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to work on my Vader this weekend. :( It's just too cold in Arc Commander's garage!

I'll post the update as soon as I'm able.
Y.J.
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

cool, then I will hold off questions till then :thumbs:
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Yoda Jenkins
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Yoda Jenkins »

arccommander wrote:Ok, Im going to post up pics for Mike and he will post after with his details and comments on his plans for finishing.
Where to start... top down I guess.

Helmet: I haven't started on that yet. There's like 904 things to do on it, so I'll tell you all about that when I start it.

Shoulder Armor: I just got that. I need to paint it in the correct ESB colors, add the bells, and add some padding to lift them up a smidge and be more comfortable.

Inner Robe: I might have to bring the armholes in a bit, but I'll wait to see how the shoulder bells look. I also might add another dart to make more room in the front for the chest box, but I'm going to wait until I have the chest box finished to start that.

Cod: I need to make some notches for the belt boxes so it sits right.

Undersuit Pants: I'm going to add some suspenders. I'm not certain that it would be family-friendly to loose my drawers during a troop (although I didn't see that in the 501st rules :) ) . I'm also going to add some stirrups to keep the pants from bunching up at the top of my boots.

Shin Armor: It's too short. How far is it supposed to stick up above my knee? I'm going to take the zipper back w/ padding off and add straps. I'll also repaint after I lengthen them.

That's all for now. Thoughts?
Last edited by Yoda Jenkins on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Y.J.
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

Have any updates for us???
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Yoda Jenkins
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Yoda Jenkins »

SL2280 wrote:Have any updates for us???
Sorry, no updates as since my last posting. :( I’ve been spending the last month or so helping Harp get his armor ready for the Fury game.

However, since I’m the only one in our little Triumvirate without a TKID, I’m getting a little antsy to get done. I’m shooting for a mid-April date. That’ll give me a month to secure a TKID so I’m ready for the MCCC. And yes, if I’m finished I’ll be at the Taylor's Free Comic Book Day too! :D
Y.J.
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

Yoda Jenkins wrote:I’ve been spending the last month or so helping Harp get his armor ready for the Fury game.
Looks like Anton and Steve can now help you!

Bring the finished pieces with you for the Fury event, so I can check them out!

See you on Saturday! :drunk:
Wags
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

Ripcode wrote:
Yoda Jenkins wrote:I’ve been spending the last month or so helping Harp get his armor ready for the Fury game.
Looks like Anton and Steve can now help you!

Bring the finished pieces with you for the Fury event, so I can check them out!

See you on Saturday! :drunk:

Yes, Stevo and I will be directing our attention on Mike now. We need to make sure he is done in time for MCCC!!! :cheers:
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

Yoda Jenkins wrote:
SL2280 wrote:Have any updates for us???
Sorry, no updates as since my last posting. :( I’ve been spending the last month or so helping Harp get his armor ready for the Fury game.

However, since I’m the only one in our little Triumvirate without a TKID, I’m getting a little antsy to get done. I’m shooting for a mid-April date. That’ll give me a month to secure a TKID so I’m ready for the MCCC. And yes, if I’m finished I’ll be at the Taylor's Free Comic Book Day too! :D

FCBD is a good event to test out a Vader
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Yoda Jenkins
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Yoda Jenkins »

Well, Anton and I have begun to work on the Vader again. At the moment we're making adjustments and preparing to sand and paint. Does anyone know what the correct grey colors are for DV's shoulder armor and helmet?

I read that we should use Dupli-Color paint in one of the other forums (of course I can't find it now :x )

Any suggestions?
Y.J.