HIPS vs ABS

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Medve
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 1703

HIPS vs ABS

Post by Medve »

I have ABS armor, so I know what that is like. I have seen sintra (sp?), but I have never seen HIPS plastic. I have come across someone selling a helmet kit in 3mm HIPS. Is this going to be flimsy and fragile or is it good stuff?
Pants are evil and must be destroyed
http://www.facebook.com/ujvariart
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Re: HIPS vs ABS

Post by Ripcode »

Humper wrote:I have ABS armor, so I know what that is like. I have seen sintra (sp?), but I have never seen HIPS plastic. I have come across someone selling a helmet kit in 3mm HIPS. Is this going to be flimsy and fragile or is it good stuff?
ABS is stronger and more flexible than HIPS.

For something that requires flexing, ABS is preferred. I much prefer ABS over HIPS armor.

However for a helmet, HIPS should be okay. :thumbs:

Find out what guage of HIPS they are using. .080 gauge or higher would be best.
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Post by Terrell78 »

HIPS also captures detail better than ABS but has to be painted. The TE/TE2 armor is made from HIPS. 3mm is about 120 gauge for reference.
crow
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1491

Post by crow »

Personally, I have six-pack ABS. I also have two HIPS, but I'm told that when I reach a certain age, I may need to get them replaced.

Boy I am ashamed of myself for typing that. :oops: :rotflmao:

LOL seriously I think Rip and Terrell said all you need to know...

HIPS pros: pulls much sharper detail than ABS; HIPS cons: needs painting, not as flexible as ABS. Not sure about gluing or assembly benefits of one over another.
--Scott
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

crow wrote:Not sure about gluing or assembly benefits of one over another.
They are both easy to glue and work with. In that regards, I have no preference.
dirty tusken
501st Member
501st Member
Legion ID: 9983

Post by dirty tusken »

hey humper!
i have some hips at the house if you want to see what its like in person i can bring you some samples.

man I sound like an avon lady.
WORD TO YOUR BANTHA!!!
worlds 1st and only tusken puck.
Cujo
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1332

Post by Cujo »

dirty tusken wrote:hey humper!
i have some hips at the house if you want to see what its like in person i can bring you some samples.

man I sound like an avon lady.
*knock knock knock* Avon calling!
CAP

Post by CAP »

I have pulled both ABS and HIPS. i prefer the HIPS over ABS as far as building and forming, its easier to get and easier to use, plus HIPS is very flexable if the rite gauge is used. There are plus sides to both plastics, HIPS does pull sharper detail and doesnt murder the molds, but as said you would have to paint it unless you use acrylic capped HIPS, which is hard to find here in the states. ABS if heated wrong will get a bumpy grainy finish, while HIPS you can heat until it almost melts, which yeilds a sharper pull. But if heated to much can become brittle and hard to remove from the molds, depending on the undercuts. I guess it depends on the person, but for me i prefer HIPS stuff, its easier to trim too.