Helmet 'upgrade'

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Re: Helmet 'upgrade'

Post by Terrell78 »

Skull works is nice but you can do the same thing ordering the parts online but cheaper. There is a tutorial on the FISD on how to build a skullworks like system. Also I sell aerator speakers, but they won't fit in the MRCE aerators. The MRCE ones are much smaller inside than anything else out there.
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 0471

Post by TK471 »

Thanks, Terrell, I think I'm going to try to build my own system for electronics, so I'll check what's on FISD.

I just got my 'knee pads for my head' from D-MAC over on FISD forums, I think they are going to work great! I am debating a 'removable' method for the padding, if I can get velcro to stay on the backs of the foam pieces without them tearing, not sure if they need to be permanent (I'm thinking ease of cleaning sweaty icky bucket, lol). I'm so itching to start this project, but I have to be patient, I tend to be jumble minded when it comes to these kind of projects, and I am slooooow... it took me 2 months to get my FX bucket done, but I was very happy I took my time! Hopefully I can do this one quicker.
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

repost from my FISD thread...

I finally got around to cracking apart my MRCE bucket last night. I removed the ears by drilling out from inside, removed the ears and screws, and baggied them up. Opened the holes in the frown a bit, still need to file. This is as far as I've gotten:

Next step will be to remove the hovis, and sand down all of the mold lines. I'm also thinking about using some strips of either thin ABS or styrene (whatever I have around here) to reinfoce the lower mouth area, around that seam that gets filled with the putty. It started to come apart last night, and even though I put some cement on it (I am using Ambroid Pro-Weld plastic welder), I want to back that up a bit from the inside. I have an idea to use heavy magnets inside/outside the helmet to hold pieces in place while they cure/dry.

I may hand paint the interior black, after trying to clean out all the old padding glue. I don't think I need to seperate the top and back of the helmet. I have the Rust-Oleum gloss white and the primer for the external. Whoohoo, fun!
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

I just got the hovis removed from the bucket, so I can repaint it... I think I can re-attach them easy enough. Anybody know, what a good speaker would be I could use, maybe to mount behind them, or if there are any out there already wired up? I'll have to dig around radio-shack, I plan to dis-assemble the amp unit I used to wear in my chest plate, and mount it in my bucket, and have the speakers in there too.
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
Moff Man
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 9495

Post by Moff Man »

Hey Pete, thought you might be interested in this thread here http://www.501stforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19521 They are talking about replacement ears and tube stripes.
[Image/img]
"thats no moon it's a space station"
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

Thanks I will take a look, but I have to say, I just bought some new ears off ebay (hey, from same guy mentioned in the thread!), and I had bought a sticker set from someone in Bolivia (yes, that place with the martial law going on right now), I got the stickers just a week before things started getting crazy down there. The seller makes biker scout body suits, stickers, boba fett suits, and the stickers are very nicely made. I have to trim them to fit on the MRCE though, at least the ones that go on the top part of the bucket, I'll probably measure out, put down some black paint, and then cut the stickers to fit.

My ears, I had to buy, because I royally screwed up the MRCE ones by dremelling off into the wrong direction! I got distracted, lol!

Some more pics:
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

Project moves slowly.. just got new ears in from the UK.

"Slacker!" <-- it's true
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

I've started to trim the ears, and attached them using 3/4" 6-32 screws with nylon locknuts. I'm still trimming them thinner, but here's some pics of the first fitting.

more pics soon as I make progress.
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

I got my MRCE painted at a bodyshop, professionally, and it looks fantastic! Great color, and very shiny!
Here's some pics! It's not done yet, still have to do aerators, lenses, and rubber trim.. and then everything else!

TK471 and the soon-to-be-new MRCE mod bucket!

This is a shot before putting decals on, but I had painted some trim.

Old bucket, new bucket, old guy, lol.

More pics as I get more done!
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

Cool.... ahhh it never gets old... and Im a new guy still... lol. Looks great man!! I wish I had 2 helmets...
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

Just added rubber trim and speaker aerators. Yes, my brow is low, but I am happy with my new bucket, getting closer to being done.

"Slacker!" <-- it's true
crow
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1491

Post by crow »

Lookin GREAT! I was gonna suggest raising the brow just a bit (maybe trimming) but it looks like there is a "dot" indent on the forehead of the faceplate (right above the nose)...? I think that would be end up being visible.
Great job...looks much better on you than the FX :thumbs:
--Scott
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

repost from FISD:

OK, I'm lookin all over the place here, need help! What is the best way to wire up the Hovi-Mix speakers, do I take one black and one read from each, and connect right to the two wires on the uniit? Or do I run these in a series (like, run the red wire from the unit, to a red wire on one Hovi-Mix, and then wire the black wire over to the red wire on the other Hovi-Mix, and then the other black wire back over to the green wire on the unit?).

Thanks!

ps, the 'unit' is this thing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0284127885
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Terrell78 »

Run them parallel, they will be louder. :thumbs:
TD866
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 0866

Post by TD866 »

Looking good! :thumbs:
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

ugh... SO CLOSE! I have installed all the electronics, but I'm having microphone/feedback issues, plus, need to actually sort out some engineering on it for that, right now, it's all in there for 'testing', fans work, speakers work, and lenses are in (externally, the bucket is done, and looks great!) It's definitely a tighter fit on the noggin! I'm going to try to do some experimenting this week, I'm using the microphone that came with the SmallTalk Voice Amp, and I think, if I make a small cone to fit around it, and plant it so it's aiming straight at my mouth (its a very uni-directional mic) I'll get good voice pickup, and reduce feeback.

I'm also thinking of putting an on/off switch onto the batter connect wires, so I can disable it by reaching into my bucket while wearing it, if need be. It has a on/off/volume knob, but very hard to reach. Also, I need to figure out a covering for the circuit board, I could imagine some hot days, sweating on it, and frying it!
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

I am happy to announce, that I am done messing around with this darn thing! It's DONE! Fans work, speakers work, sounds great, looks great, ready to troop! Sure, it has its flaws, but I'm happy!

Comparing my old FX to my now finished MRCE mod:

The interior may not be sexy compared to some others, but it's functional! I've got four 9 volt batteries, two fans, a voice unit, 2 aerator speakers, microphone, fan power switch, and hard-hat liner, all velcroed!

I do have to get some more better pics, I'm just damn tired right now. Next, to get all my armor on for more photos before our next troop!
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
Wags
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

That looks cool!!! :thumbs:

I wish i had that much room in my bucket for all that cool stuff. Im jealous.....
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by TK471 »

I have to carefully squeeze my head in to get in there, lol!

A couple more pics:

"Slacker!" <-- it's true
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Terrell78 »

The helmet mods look great. :thumbs: