FX armor refit problems

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

FX armor refit problems

Post by Zachg56 »

I just recently bought a set of armor that was worn by a current member of the 501st Star Garrison (TK-433), and it has been determined by both pictures and just wearing it that the chest piece (or shoulder portions) as well as the ab pieces are in need of readjustments, my question is, is how would I go about trimming or modifying the suit so it fits me better even though everything has been either cemented/glued into place?

Also, how would I go about replacing the current strap system in place (current set is elastics and velcro) as well?

Any help is much appreciated considering the fact that I'll need any I can get....I tend to be terrible when it comes to fabrics and materials ...which is rather ironic since I work well with precision tools (IE machine tools)
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Re: FX armor refit problems

Post by Ripcode »

Zach,

Let people know where you are located to see if fellow troopers are nearby to help out. :)
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

should be simple...

East Lansing Michigan, right on Michigan State's east complex side....or do you mean like what complex?
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

Zachg56 wrote:should be simple...

East Lansing Michigan, right on Michigan State's east complex side....or do you mean like what complex?
That location is fine.

Anyone having an armor party soon?
TD866
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 0866

Post by TD866 »

I can hook you up with new straps. You can trim the armor with a motor tool or you can use tin snips Just follow the same trime line. Take a little off at a time since you can always trim more off the armor, but you will have trouble adding plastic back onto the armor. :thumbs:
Hyper
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 4408

Post by Hyper »

FISD is the place, with lots of answers to these questions.

StormTroopers main hub

Lots you can " DEW " there :thumbs:
Attachments
FISD2.gif
FISD2.gif (38.91 KiB) Viewed 18133 times
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

Ripcode wrote:
Let me check the schedule(aka the wife...) and I will get back to you tonight :thumbs:
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

Wags wrote:
Ripcode wrote:
Let me check the schedule(aka the wife...) and I will get back to you tonight :thumbs:
Works for me as long as it isn't this monday! (I have a physics and calc test)

mmmm...armor party....
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Post by Terrell78 »

Well first off, most glues aren't permanent regardless of what the package says. Everything but ABS pipe cement can be taken apart pretty easily.

One mod to consider is the chest plate mod:
http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=3938

Ask away with the questions, we'll get you setup in no time.
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

Judging from the over lack of flexiblity, as well as the wierd smell when I put my nose up to it, I'm pretty sure it's cement...then again I could always place a heat gun to it and try to melt it....if I had one
Mowskwoz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7794

Post by Mowskwoz »

Just like DEW and Terrell stated up above. The best place for information and tutorials about Stormtroopers is the forums at whitearmor.net. I am currently putting together a set of TK armor and I have found it to be very helpful. Make sure to ask lots of questions too. Good Luck! :thumbs:
GLG Commanding Officer - 2012-2018, 2020–
GLG Captain of the Guard - 2019
ANH Stormtrooper - F.I.S.D. Expert Infantryman
GLB X-Wing Pilot - Shadow 77
Snowtrooper Commander - Thunder Snow Assault Squad
R2 Builder
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

Mowskwoz wrote:Just like DEW and Terrell stated up above. The best place for information and tutorials about Stormtroopers is the forums at whitearmor.net. I am currently putting together a set of TK armor and I have found it to be very helpful. Make sure to ask lots of questions too. Good Luck! :thumbs:
there is a lot of info there...spent the whole day looking at it...heh I guess all I'm worried about is the actual triming...never done it before..guess I just want to see it done before I actually do it myself
Last edited by Zachg56 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

Suggestion: don't do it without help. The Legion isn't going away anytime soon, so there's no need to rush to get everything done right away. As 866 said, it's easier to trim more off, but not so easy putting plastic back on.

I was the other guy who reviewed your photos, so start with the soft parts -- the elastic and the velcro, because those you can pick up at Joann's pretty cheap, and if you mess up, you can just rip them off and start over again. There are also some parts of the plastic that I'd recommend modifying as well, but it's best to do those once you're more comfortable trimming plastic. Now that you mention that you bought the armor complete from another Legion member, it's clear that the seller was a much bigger guy than you, and being 5'8", 175 myself, I can appreciate the need to trim FX armor to fit us smaller guys.

Check out the upcoming events list and if you have some time, come on out and join us out of costume. We can show you what we're talking about and give you face-to-face tips that might be easier to comprehend in person. It'll also give you a hands-on view of what we do and how much non-costumed support personnel can be.
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

yeah...especially considering the fact that I have a whole bunch of time on my hands and it aint going anywhere either...might as well go to one near East Lansing now huh
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Post by Kal »

Wags wrote:
Ripcode wrote:
Soooo...... It has been 2 nights now. Any plans for an armor party and more important, will those yummy balls be there as well??? If not I have a big bag of Braughtwursts I can bring over.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%
Mama_Wags
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 3411

Post by Mama_Wags »

SL2280 wrote:
Wags wrote:
Ripcode wrote:
Soooo...... It has been 2 nights now. Any plans for an armor party and more important, will those yummy balls be there as well??? If not I have a big bag of Braughtwursts I can bring over.
Easy boys...yes, there will be another armor party. Just trying to determine when between the kids and upcoming events. Tony will post up a thread shortly as soon as we pinpoint the date. And yes Rob the "yummy balls" will be available too :blink:

Jackie
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

yes ma'am...

and...yummy balls?
Mama_Wags
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 3411

Post by Mama_Wags »

Zachg56 wrote:yes ma'am...

and...yummy balls?
No armor party is complete without Tony cooking something up. Whether it's his volcano chicken (Ripcode's favorite) or his latest creation of meatballs which Rob has taken a liking to...he'll cook up something. Summer time parties usually wind up with something yummy cooking on the grill. If you're going to work, you've gotta eat! :thumbs:

Jackie
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

well then I guess I could always bring a couple bottles of pop/drinks...can't have food without something to drink now eh?
Wags
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

Well I have an interview on monday for a JOB!!!! yea me. So, the armor party will be determined by the results of that. If I can free a day, with future event and all, the closest weekend day I can squeeeeeezzze in is....March 7 or 14th. But like I said, all with hinge on the job thing. I will keep you posted!!

Zach, I know you arent close to me, but if there is a day during the week, and I can get Dew to come over for a little help, maybe we can get you started before then. Let me know and Dew can post if he can help!!