It took a little while to get over that hump, obviously, but I've been making steady progress over the last few weeks. Talking with Terrell a couple of times has also helped, and I've been rather inspired lately with the backpack. Screen-accurate canon is all well and good, but I'd rather have a functional backpack, if not a FUNctional backpack
So if that includes lights and sound.... well, then hell, why not?
I was tempted to go take photos of where I'm at so far, but it's after midnight and I have to go to bed, so here's a placeholder to remind me to get some pics up.
Armor, trimmed, sanded, and mostly glued/velcroed
Helmet, interior painted black. Lens was made with smoke-tinted dirt-bike visor and adhesive backed limo tinting (all from Meijer). Frown painted, decals from TK-4510 applied.
Lower half of backpack with cut-outs for various doohickeys. First coat of primer applied. The four squares on the lower right are adhesive-backed cable-management pieces (stick them to a flat surface, feed a zip-tie through the holes and keep cables and wires wrapped up and neat). Backpack boxes are $3.50 Sterilite containers.
Topper piece for backpack. LED clusters attached to the poles. Duct tapes used as a temporary for mock-up while I feed the wiring. Topper comes from two dollar-store plastic baseball bats that I hacked apart.
Epilogue: that little spot on the chest plate? Yeah, that's my blood. I'd cut my finger on the edge of a manila folder earlier in the day as I was filing my bills and other paperwork. Over a few handwashings, the bandage fell off so I just work without it. Except when I was sanding the shin pieces, the edge caught the cut and opened it back up again, so I got a little bit of blood on the shin piece. And then I looked at the little well-up of blood so I figured "what the hell," and wiped it on the chest place
Strap system installed, did a first test fit.
- Cut out backs of thighs and shins for more movement capability.
- Fixed up belt with more velcro
- Test-fit legs and lower torso, weathering checked out by Humper when he stopped by after his dentist appointment
- Tested battery pack & switch for tracking light/fan controller
- Completed power circuit for spotlights
- Installed mic, amp, and mic-tips in helmet, though still get crap feedback due to lousy Radio Shack system.
- Painted caps for spotlight T-bit
- Cut, assembled, and began painting backpack frame:
Now waiting for the bottom part to dry so I can paint the top part.
Cut out backs of thighs so I don't kill myself stepping up and down.
Tighten waist and chest velcro placement, maybe even trim sides of ab-plate.
Weatherstripping inside forearm pieces keep falling off due to crap adhesive that's not meant for curved plastic. Glue down with E-6000 so them biznatches ain't goin' nowhere.
Add belt attachment points to ab and kidney plates.
Attach right thigh detail.
- Cut more out of backs of thighs and shins
- Separate codpiece
Add more padding.
Add another coat of paint to chin.
Install mic tips.
Integrate power into helmet instead of control from backpack
Beat up MP-40 pouch and modify straps so that it fits onto backpack strap
Finish the damn backpack
Replace backpack straps
- Replace T-bit with something more solid. Fun concept, not quite so fun in execution