Looking for ideas for a 'pull-string voice box'

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 0471

Looking for ideas for a 'pull-string voice box'

Post by TK471 »

This isn't really Star Wars, but could be.. trying to help figure out how to make a pull string voice box, for my girlfriend's Halloween costume, something she could put her own voice in, but have a pull string activate it. I though about getting a pull string doll, tearing it apart, and trying to rig with a modern voice module. Any thoughts? Thanks! -Pete, TK471
"Slacker!" <-- it's true
G-man
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 3824

Re: Looking for ideas for a 'pull-string voice box'

Post by G-man »

You would probably be better off getting a personal digital recorder and change out the switch with something you can rig a cord up to.
Jaster
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 3829

Post by Jaster »

Radio Shack has a 9v recording module (part # 276-1323) for $10.99. I've been playing around with one trying to do something else with it, but they are quite nice.
TK471
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 0471

Post by TK471 »

I've seen that Radio Shack unit, it's pretty cool, I'm hoping to find something that can do more than one sample (maybe two, three). I found someone on youtube that made a 'Ken' doll costume with a pull string, and he actually emailed me a lengthy description of what he did, rigging up a pull string from a Toy Story Woody doll, to trigger files on an mp3 player. I'm going to have to think about it a bit, I like the voice module idea better than the mp3 player, maybe something out there that does more?

Thanks for the feedbacks!
"Slacker!" <-- it's true