Tusken mask build problem

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
kibosh

Tusken mask build problem

Post by kibosh »

Hey gang! Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

I need some help with my Tusken Raider mask. I was humming along building my Studio Creations based mask, and ran into a snag. The problem I'm having relates to wrapping the leather straps around the mouth. I got the first one on okay. Sort of. I used an old leather belt for this. As you all know, a belt bends great. In one direction. It does not want to bend, at all, in the other plane.

The leather looks pretty good to me.

I had a REALLY tough time getting the leather to follow the edge of the mouth, and line up together under the chin. I couldn't bend the leather to my will, so I had to cut a wedge shaped piece of leather out, and pull the cut edges together. You can see the resulting seam below. It allowed me to bend the leather strap so the ends would meet. I'll cover this with some sort of weathering to hide it better.

I don't want to leave a cut in the second layer as it will be more prominent, but I'm having an even tougher time getting the strap to wrap properly. This is how it's wanting to come together underneath.

I assume I'm not the only one to run into this. How is everyone overcoming it??? At this point, I'm seriously considering cutting this layer into two strips; one seam under the chin, and the other at the bridge of the nose. The rounded vertical strip should cover this. Two pieces seem to line up a little easier than one.

Any other suggestions, ideas, advice???

Thanks!
ejbdesign

Check out my daily Lego picture at alegoaday.com
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Re: Tusken mask build problem

Post by Lumpy »

Send a PM to Roger (TD866). He has helped several of our most recent Tuskens!! :thumbs: :thumbs:
kibosh

Post by kibosh »

Yup. I was hoping he'd offer up some suggestions. He's already given me a lot of preliminary advice! :thumbs:
ejbdesign

TD866
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 0866

Post by TD866 »

Steam the leather belt.
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Post by Kal »

CBlack wrote:Send a PM to Roger (TD866). He has helped several of our most recent Tuskens!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Ya beat me too it.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%
kibosh

Post by kibosh »

TD866 wrote:Steam the leather belt.
Interesting... I was thinking of trying to soak the belt and see what happened. How do I go about steaming it? Just set up a pot on the stove and boil some water, holding the leather in the steam?
ejbdesign

TD866
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 0866

Post by TD866 »

I have a clothes steamer, but i am sure a boiling a pot of water will work just fine. :thumbs: