Mike's Vader Build Thread - APPROVED - SL4014!

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Re: Mike's Vader Build Thread

Post by Kal »

Yoda Jenkins wrote:Well, Anton and I have begun to work on the Vader again. At the moment we're making adjustments and preparing to sand and paint. Does anyone know what the correct grey colors are for DV's shoulder armor and helmet?

I read that we should use Dupli-Color paint in one of the other forums (of course I can't find it now :x )

Any suggestions?
i will get the name and maker up for you as soon as I can.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%
Yoda Jenkins
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 4014

Post by Yoda Jenkins »

Thanks Rob! :D
Y.J.
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Post by Kal »

primer

base black

black pearl (grey)

clear coat

Manufacturer is valspar, same manufacturer, and color as used in the OT films
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%
Yoda Jenkins
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Yoda Jenkins »

Thanks again Rob! Now all I need to do is get Anton to paint it. I might have to bribe him with beer... :D
Y.J.
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

Yoda Jenkins wrote:Thanks again Rob! Now all I need to do is get Anton to paint it. I might have to bribe him with beer... :D
Yes, yes...beer you will give me.... :rotflmao: We can go get the stuff on Friday. I am working on making your shins longer tonight. One down, and the other just needs to be filled and sanded.
shawnpane
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by shawnpane »

SWEET!!!!
"I'D do almost anything for A peek under that
helmet"..."almost anything."
"not today...I'm here on buisness."
J.F.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Ok, so here is the progress so far on Mikes Vader. I finished one shin and its ready for paint and just need to do some final filling and sanding on the other and it is ready to go. Also there are some pics of the beginning progress of the helmet. I also have primered and sanded x2 the shoulder armor but still have to take pics. A couple more "finer" sandings and it will be ready for paint. As soon as Mike and I get the shoulder armor done, Mike will start on the outer cape, which I cant wait for cause it will look BA.

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z9/twagensomer/Mike/
TD866
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 0866

Post by TD866 »

Nice work guys, keep up the good work.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Ok, I have been lazy on Mikes pics (sorry Mike..) for his armor. Soo here goes. I havent taken any new pix but I will tonight. I have 3 coats of gloss on the shoulder bells, 2 coats on the chest and a couple on one of the shins with many, many more to come. In between all the wet sanding. Mike cut out all the pieces for the chest box and we put them together the other night. I put on the filler and have begun the sanding and sanding and sanding....zzzzzzz OH sorry. There is a lot of sanding to do. :rotflmao: So anywhoooo, Im going to get some pix tonight and put up on my photobucket account. Hes getting close. Cant wait.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Ok, so here are the new pics of Mikes Vader build. Now keep in mind that these are no where near done. Many more coats of paint and wet sanding is needed + I still need to paint in the grey on the chest. The shins are in need of a lot of work still also. I went crazy and rough sanded them with 60 grit in the beginning. (note to self, 60grit + plastic is NOT GOOD) So I have more sanding on them then I would have needed, but oh well. Live an learn. So here they are in all there glory. Hopefully they should be done in the next week or 2.

Oh and also, the Dome is ready for some 1000 grit and another coat of primer and then off the the gloss. Not much work on the mask though. That will be coming soon.

TD866
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 0866

Post by TD866 »

Wags wrote: (note to self, 60grit + plastic is NOT GOOD)
Doh!!! :blink: you guys are still doing a great job.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Thanks for the kind words everyone!! Mike and I are working hard to get this done. Thankfully mother nature is helping a little and I am making good progress on the paint. Nice and shiny!! I will have more pics up tonight.

After much sanding an filling we have the chest box built and has the first coat of shiny on it and is drying right now. The rest of the armor is close to being done and then Mike can get out his sewing purse (sorry Mike had to do it :twisted: ) that he uses so well and we can put on his shoulder armor and measure out the outer cape and he will be just about ready to rock and roll. Just the big task of finishing the mods to the helmet, which wont be that tough, and hopfully off to the pics (with high res. ones for vader).
shawnpane
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by shawnpane »

Awsome!
Damn your moving right along!
"I'D do almost anything for A peek under that
helmet"..."almost anything."
"not today...I'm here on buisness."
J.F.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Got a bunch of painting done today but nothing really looks any different so I only took pics of the start of the chest box. It has some shiny paint, needs another finally 2k grit sanding and then off to clear coat and installing all the buttons and stuff. I will take some more pics tonight, Mike and I worked on his harley last night and I worked on my rifles so not much in the way of Vader.

Although I did resand one of the shins cause there was a flaw where the new extensions started and in the sunlight you could really see it. So I sanded it down and refilled the spot and will sand and repaint it tonight.

So here are the pics of the chest box ( "I dont know why they call it a chest box, it sits on your stomach"-Mike Barnes) :rotflmao:

Wags

Post by Wags »

Ok, updates. Mike and I have been sanding (mostly Mike cause, I dont like to sand, just paint... :lol: ) and finishing the final paint on the shoulders and chest armor. Its done and ready for some clear coat. The chest box is also done and ready for clear coat. Mike is working on a lighting set up for the coin slots. Should be cool. The shins are still giving me hell but I will get it fixed. Im going to try to get couple flaws sanded and ready tonight. The dome is ready for the last coat of shiny black, which I hope to get done tonight, and then ready for clear coat and then its off to the mods on the mask. So, here is more pics.

Cujo
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1332

Post by Cujo »

Looking Good! :thumbs:
Wags

Post by Wags »

Ok, so all this has all the clear coat on it but the shoulder bells. They have 2 coats of rubbing polish and 4 coats of wax. I think they need more wax, but got tired of all the rubbing...lol. The one pic, on the chest, looks like a crack in the paint, but no worries, its just the flash.

Also, Mike got his cape all sewn (dont know if I spelled that right..) up on Sunday. He just needs to attach the leather collar and bingo!! More work to come tomorrow night.

Yoda Jenkins
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Yoda Jenkins »

Wags wrote:(dont know if I spelled that right..)
You did spell it right! Ms. Roulo (Wags' 2nd grade teacher) would be so proud! :D

By the way, in that 4th picture I was actually holding the cape up - not flashing gang signs! :lol:
Y.J.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Alright, no new pix, but Mike and I got the leather collar sewn on his cape, and many coats of polish and wax and all the rest of the armor. We also worked more on the helmet mods. A little heat gun and some shaping and it looks better. I havent taken any pix of the dome yet, but it is almost done. I will get some up tomorrow night.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Ok, so here is what happend. Mike, Stevo and I busted butt the night before free comic book day to get done. And we did, all I had to do is finish the paint scheme on the mask. No big deal. I figured I would be up late, but nothing to worry about. Boy was I wrong. Apparently I did NOT prep the mask good enough and all the paint pealed off like a bad sunburn. Not very happy. Sooooo needless to say, I stripped it down, again, and started repainting. This time with much more patience. So, hopefully, over the next few days of painting, and by this weekend, Mike will have some pics of a FINISHED Vader.

The mask is cleaned and reprimered and ready for paint. I have been letting the primer set up so the paint will stick. Not sure what happend last time, but it wont happen again..... (i hope)