Darth Nihilus Costume - Approved!

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
hathor_sg1x
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 9886

Darth Nihilus Costume - Approved!

Post by hathor_sg1x »

Pictures of outfit can be located here: http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/ ... 20Nihilus/

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Information that is needed to go to the LMO:

1. Fabrics used in the making of this were: Linen, Moleskin, and Gabardine Linen

2. Pattern’s do exist if you have an eye for altering. I used a MC’CALLS Nativity pattern for the long sleeved undershirt to use for my ribbed like theme.
The outer tunic and fabric obi is made from the OOP Simplicity Pattern 4450
A woman’s skirt pattern for my top skirt.
The cape/crown cover was a mere fluke though due to the way unwanted fabric had been cut off. No pattern was used for it.
The pants are something I already owned.

3. The ribbed like appreance was made out of a Triple Stitch. Each sleeve has 30 long stitches in it. The moleskin fabric caused a slight puckering giving it the look I needed like I’ve seen other member’s have.

4. Crown is made by: TD866.

5. The mask I bought on EBay from Seller: Big_Water99

6. The Leather Boots where bought from: http://www.Romans.com

7. Leather Gloves we’re bought from a store online: http://www.leathermystics.com/

8. Belt was made by: CatBoiBlues.

9. Velcro was added into the crown to help keep the fabric held in place to resist strong winds so nothing is showing.

10. Tattering was done by SL2280 and TD866 since I couldn’t bring myself to do it as I’ve had it drilled into my head to not ruin what I sew. lol

11. The face mask is made from a men’s hunting pullover pattern, but since the pattern called for fleece fabric I had to have more added to the outside of it to take in the no stretching matter. A bridal fabric was used since it was all I could find at the time to work.

12.) All major help in making this costume has come from Rob/SL-2280, minor help on the sleeves/crown advice Mad Horizon, and Roger/TD-866 for all the crown work and extra tattering/weathering.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I've had a few people asking me for the patterns I used and the other steps I followed from people, so here is a little cheat sheet for anyone else looking to make a COTF Nihilus for themselves. This doesn't explain however to make the hood/cape since mine was a complete fluke.

I might offer later on how to make the cape and hood while trooping at an event was talking with someone about how to make it and might try it when I go to reproduce it.

Help on Nihilus costume matters has also come from: SL2280, MadHorizons

Under Skirt 1 Steps:
1.) For the one skirt which doesn't have many tatters I just took the fabric and wrapped it around my waist. Did pressed seams to make it look nicer.

2.) I used stick on velcro to hold it in place.

3.) I made my own tyes/laces each 12in long and sewed into the seam to insure the skirt remains on.

4.) Tatter it, but only slightly

Outer Skirt #2 Steps:

1.) Pattern Used: McCALL's M4474 I used Pattern A.

2.) Now this pattern you will follow it slightly, HOWEVER not completely.

3.) Cut 4 parts using pattern as follows. Use only so much of the pattern until you have a slight gap in the front of it. It must not wrap al lthe way around you like the under skirt does.
EX: Clones Skirt is kinda what the Top/Outter Nihilus Skirt looks like.

4.) Iron seams out, use the HOTTEST setting so in a way it will prevent unwanted seam removal.

5.) You do NOT need to put a seam/Press on the bottom skirt, ONLY on the top. The bottom will have to get tatterd up.

6.) Make 12in laces/tyes place them at the open parts of the skirt and sew into seam.

7.) Tatter the HECK out of the skirt.

The Under shirt Tunic Steps:
1.) Pattern Used McCALL'S M2339 Pattern option: B

2.) You will NOT make this pattern as long as the picture shows. Have this so it ONLY goes to the waist/crotch area, but NO further.

3.) Don't worry about the neck band pattern part, you won't need it trust me. This thing will already be tight around the neck and that's what you want. So make a SMALL seam. Doesn't have to be perfect. If the neck hole is too small just cut a little off to the point it won't bother you.

4.) Now I had to stich my own Ribbed like appreance into the fabric sleave. Now this is the part that sucks and depending on the skill you have will take 1-2hrs, without stopping.

5.) Pin and sew sleaves on properly once the rest of the garment is sewen up.

5.) Now you will have the sleave sewen on, and it's still not a full part of the garment. You will need black or dark silver thread for this and you will need to sew lines into the fabric. For me each sleave has 30 lines ALL the way to the arm seams.

6.) Once lines are in sleave turn inside out and finish sewing sleaves onto garment.

7.) Put seam on bottom.

8.) TADA! You got an undershirt!

Personal note: I was informed to use a different kind of fabric for this. I used MOLESKIN FABRIC. It's warm, but it saved me money from ordering something more like Vader's outfit. However not on sale/without cupon this fabric runs 9.99 a yard.

Outter Tunic Steps:
1.) Patterns you can use: SIMPLICITY 4450(OOP) or This one which you can still buy: Simplicity 5840

If you go with 4450 use the Jedi Tunic. You don't need the neck band OR the sleaves, but I use a little of the sleave pattern to help it fit me better.

OR

Pattern 5840 Use C/D Same thing as above.

2.) Put tatters in the bottom of the garment

Fabric belt Steps:

1.) DO NOT USE S5840 pattern for this! It's not correct. If you own 4450 use that pattern.

2.) All else fails use newspaper and make a square fabric belt pattern. Make sure pattern fits around all the layers you will be wearing.

3.) I HIGHLY suggest to use iron on interfaceing. This will give the fabric belt a better look and it gives it a slight stiffness/thickness.

That's all my patten steps.

The cape/hood you will have to toy around with, I used no pattern for it. It was a completel fluke on my part how it worked.

I hope this will be of help to anyone needing information on making a Nihilus.
Last edited by hathor_sg1x on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Rodney McKay: *mumbeling around his food* You need to get out more.
Carson Beckett: We're in another galaxy, how much more out can you get?
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Re: Darth Nihilus Costume

Post by Kal »

first you need to pick what version you are going to do. The KOTOR and the COTF are much much different. The guy who is in charge of "passing" the EU as well as other Sith Lord costumes is very, very hard on the Nihilus since the pics of the costume are not in high numbers. SO you have to pick what one you are doing. and stick with it as close as you can to what the ref pics look like.

I myself am about 60% done with the costume. I may have it done in 2 weeks :thumbs:

as for the skirt.....Both types of Nihilus costume have them. So they are needed. Ya can't find a way around it. casue the LMO will ask to see pics from what I have been told. he likes to see a break down of each part so that it helps him out better. since the costume being all black tends to hide parts at times.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%
TrooperTK8181
501st Member
501st Member
Legion ID: 8181

Post by TrooperTK8181 »

After further investigation, I was looking at the website you posted and I say make it look like the picture towards the bottom. You know, the one with the yellow sleeves, purple blouse, and green and blue dress. Nothing says "i'm a scray MO-FO" like a green and blue dress. I know If I were a jedi (God forbid) I wouldn't want to fight something looking like that. My guard would be down from laughing so much making me an easier target.
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

TrooperTK8181 wrote:After further investigation, I was looking at the website you posted and I say make it look like the picture towards the bottom. You know, the one with the yellow sleeves, purple blouse, and green and blue dress. Nothing says "i'm a scray MO-FO" like a green and blue dress. I know If I were a jedi (God forbid) I wouldn't want to fight something looking like that. My guard would be down from laughing so much making me an easier target.

That is the COTF Nihilus. Thats the one I am doing right now. Just a few more parts left to sew and I am all done. Then I just need to send it off to Ripcode and he sends over to the Guy who approves Sith lords and EU costumes.

I have been rading info for over a yr now. trying to get everything just right. It been a long time and a lot of work so far.

The KOTOR Nihilus is a nice clean look. where he is in His prime. The COTF is a worn version of himself thats his power has started eating away at him. Since Nihilus feeds on force users.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

Good examp. of the KOTOR Nihilus. No so much under armor. The guy who sells on ebay has nothing near the right kind of shirt on. thats why he does not sell the shirt in the auction.

Here are 2 of the COTF versions(one I am working on)

COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
hathor_sg1x
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by hathor_sg1x »

I was kinda eyeing the color block one as my main target. I want to do it right and properly since this is really the only outfit I like in-terms of trying to get my 501st Membership. So the COTF is what my main target will be.

For that skirt bit what do you sugget? A woman's pattern more or less? I did already pick one up but it's within the depths of the pattern box with many others.

SL2280 wrote:first you need to pick what version you are going to do. The KOTOR and the COTF are much much different. The guy who is in charge of "passing" the EU as well as other Sith Lord costumes is very, very hard on the Nihilus since the pics of the costume are not in high numbers. SO you have to pick what one you are doing. and stick with it as close as you can to what the ref pics look like.

I myself am about 60% done with the costume. I may have it done in 2 weeks :thumbs:

as for the skirt.....Both types of Nihilus costume have them. So they are needed. Ya can't find a way around it. casue the LMO will ask to see pics from what I have been told. he likes to see a break down of each part so that it helps him out better. since the costume being all black tends to hide parts at times.
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

hathor_sg1x wrote:I was kinda eyeing the color block one as my main target. I want to do it right and properly since this is really the only outfit I like in-terms of trying to get my 501st Membership. So the COTF is what my main target will be.

For that skirt bit what do you sugget? A woman's pattern more or less? I did already pick one up but it's within the depths of the pattern box with many others.

SL2280 wrote:first you need to pick what version you are going to do. The KOTOR and the COTF are much much different. The guy who is in charge of "passing" the EU as well as other Sith Lord costumes is very, very hard on the Nihilus since the pics of the costume are not in high numbers. SO you have to pick what one you are doing. and stick with it as close as you can to what the ref pics look like.

The skirt, I just used 2 sections and slaped it together and its good to go.

I have been slowly working on a new vader. The new one will be for display only so In order to keep my SL designation I need a new SL costume. Since I was only like 6'4 as Vader anyway I will leave that to the taller guys. + we have a new guy working on one any way. And now that I know how to use a sewing machine, I am finaly able to my Nihilus :thumbs:
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
shawnpane
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by shawnpane »

I just knew home ecc would pay off :mrgreen:
"I'D do almost anything for A peek under that
helmet"..."almost anything."
"not today...I'm here on buisness."
J.F.
hathor_sg1x
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by hathor_sg1x »

LOL At least you boys can say you have skills with sewing! :wink:
shawnpane wrote:I just knew home ecc would pay off :mrgreen:
hathor_sg1x
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by hathor_sg1x »

Well...I got good news!

Thanks to Rob I got an idea of where to start now on my Nihilus outfit.

So far I've ordered/Have:
*The Mask
*The Boots
*Have my Fabric + Patterns

Still need:
*Crown bit(for mask)
*Belt
*Lightsaber
*Gloves

Hope to have this completed at the end of the month, and all approved by MCCC. Thus allowing me to retire from the RL! :snap:
hathor_sg1x
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Re: Darth Nihilus Costume WIP

Post by hathor_sg1x »

Well I got one part all sewn up and just need to stab it full of holes. But I'll save that for last...

Going to try and work on the main body tomorrow if I have time befoure work and after.
shawnpane
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by shawnpane »

Glad to see another jedi has Fallen to the true power of the force.
The dark side lives!
Woo Hoo!
"I'D do almost anything for A peek under that
helmet"..."almost anything."
"not today...I'm here on buisness."
J.F.
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

SL2280 wrote:The guy who is in charge of "passing" the EU as well as other Sith Lord costumes is very, very hard on the Nihilus since the pics of the costume are not in high numbers.
And it looks like the new LMO is going to be as tough, if not tougher than the previous LMO.
hathor_sg1x
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by hathor_sg1x »

Aye, I was informed of this yesterday when I talked to Rob. Going to cross my fingers all goes well when I go to submit the outfit once I have everything.
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

Also you will need to document your costume pedigree. This is something the new LMO is requiring with SL submissions.
Here is an example of a costume pedigree:

Costume information from Christopher:

1. The Chest box circuit board was bought from Manuel Romero

2. The chest armor (unpainted until I had it painted with automotive
paint) Anakin Mask, Reveal pieces for neck and helmet were bought from
Jeffrey Kindal he was a big help on the how to do stuff.

3. The Chain was bought from Michael Gallant

4. The Belt boxes where bought from Gary Breaux. I then bought a
leather belt and the nobs separate as well as the correct tubes and
lights at Radio Shack for the front. The belt buckle was custom made
machined by my father and painted as well.

5. The Leather Boots where bought from TK/SL6740 lpalmer

6. The cod piece was custom made and bought from Donald Baschal

7. Chest box button frames where bought from Bruce Boyd

8. Chest box fiber glass box uncut so I had to make the holes for the
lights from the circut board and repaint as well as the pieces
(swithces rods coin slots) bought from Ron LaVoi. Each piece I hand
painted and put together myself.

9. The Helmet dome was bought from a guy named JT

10. The Helmet under piece was bought from cwgift I then followed the
insructions from the site TK8878 gave me on how to make the helmet movie
style and not crapy straight from the Halloween shop. That took the
longest for the helmet has to look like Darth Vader. Automotive paint with
right color scheme gun smoke metal and black. Eyes put in the right
place. New lenses new grill in the front. Website of instructions
http://www.imperial-fleet.com/vader/index.html

11. The shins where bought from Ricardo A Jimenez I then had to sand
primer and paint with automotive paint

12. After the shins and armor where painted TK8878 helped me put the
straps and button together. Looks sweet and feel good. TK8878 has been
a big help and inspiration!!

13. Gloves where a gift from my Dad so I don't know where he got them
they are pleather

14. Body suit was desinged by the Darth Vader costume jump suit for
the movie using shiny pleather. My Grandmother is a professional
seamstress so she helped with this as well as the robe and under robe
which are pleated and made of black Wool/Felt
hathor_sg1x
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by hathor_sg1x »

Well I already noticed a problem after I finished my 'long robe' up and it's too short. in parts.

So I'm going to go back to that and worry about it later. I'm going to fish out one of my skirt patterns now and make that.

Here's the pictures I got thus far of it. No where near done ;_;

I got the fabric belt cut out, just need to line it with interfaceing and slap velco on it once I got it all sewen up.

Only thing I'm pleased with right now is my shirt part.

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/ ... 20Nihilus/
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

A COTF Darth Nihilus Costume Must Have:
(These costume elements are required.)

Mask:
* The stylized skull-like mask must be white or off-white in color.
* The mask should extend from the lips to at least the top of the forehead, and may continue further beneath the cowl.
* The mask must have two red stripes. Located over the eye holes, each stripe should extend upward with a slight taper.
* The mask must have the correct silver toned metallic forehead design. The design should consist of a two layer bar going up from top edge of nose, bulging out into an oval in the center of the forehead and narrowing again until it reaches the edge of cowl/hood. At that point it expands outward into a second oval with two smaller ovals going out to either side getting gradually smaller.
* The costumer's face must be blacked out behind the white mask, using black makeup or a tight-fitting fabric blackout mask. The eyes may not be visible, and must be hidden with black sclera lenses or the fabric of a blackout hood.

Hood and Cape:
* The hood and cape are connected.
* The hood and cape should be black and of the same material as the obi and outer layer.
* The hood gathers to points to either side of the head, forming a triangular shape at each temple. (This effect is best produced by attaching a triangular support structure to the top of the white mask, which the hood can then be draped over.)
* The hood should be attached to the upper edge of the mask or should be held tightly against the mask in order to block the top of the head from view.
* The hood drapes downward and rests on the costumer's chest, creating a frame around the face.
* The cape and hood gather at the upper chest and the two sides of the fabric are tied together at the upper sternum with a single knot.
* The cape should hang at least to mid-calf, or it may hang all the way to the floor. (Or to within an inch of the floor for walking safety).
* The cape must be heavily tattered and holed at the bottom edge.

Inner tunic:
* The inner tunic should be black and made from a slightly different material than the cape/hood, and outer layer.
* The inner tunic should be somewhat tight fighting with long sleeves.
* The sleeves should be quilted along the length, giving them a ribbed look similar to that of Darth Vader’s under suit.
* The inner tunic must be heavily tattered and holed along the bottom edge.

Outer Tunic:
* The outer tunic should be black and made from the same material as the cape/hood, and obi.
* The outer tunic is a sleeveless tunic, somewhat fitted.
* The outer tunic should hang to mid thigh.
* The outer tunic must be heavily tattered and holed at the lower edge

Inner skirt:
* The inner skirt should be black and of the same material as the hood/cape, outer tunic, obi, and outer skirt.
* The inner skirt should hang to the floor (or within an inch for walking safety).
* The inner skirt should be made of enough material to provide gathers for a voluminous appearance.
* The inner skirt should be split at the front center. This opening should be narrow and may have overlapping fabric to hide the opening when not in motion.
* The inner skirt must be heavily tattered and holed at the lower edge.

Outer skirt:
* The outer skirt should be black and of the same material as the hood/cape, outer tunic, obi, and inner skirt.
* The outer skirt should hang to the floor (or within an inch for walking safety.
* The outer skirt should be made of enough material to provide gathers for a voluminous appearance.
* The outer skirt should be split at the front.
* The outer skirt must be heavily tattered and holed at the lower edge.

Obi:
* The obi should be black and of the same material as the outer layer and cape/hood.
* The obi should be approximately 4 inches in width.
* The obi should be worn beneath the belt to gather the tunic layers in tight to the body.

Belt:
* The belt should be made of black leather with two layers. The bottom layer should be approximately 2 inches wide, and the narrow layer on top is approximately 1/2 inch wide. This look is similar to the Jedi belts from the Prequels.
* The rivets on the belt should be black and unobtrusive.
* No visible pouches should be on the belt.

Gloves / Gauntlets:
* Black gloves with a long enough shaft to reach at least halfway up the forearm.
* The gloves should not have a large flare at the opening.
* The gloves should not have any straps, buckles, snaps, or extra decoration.

Boots:
* Plain black boots. They must not have any visible straps, buckles, or laces.

A COTF Darth Nihilus Costume Should Have:
(These costume elements are highly recommended, but are not required.)

Lightsaber:
* The hilt should resemble the Knights of the Old Republic II single handed lightsaber hilt pictured below.
* If the lighsaber has a blade, the blade must be red in color.
* NO Unaltered Master Replicas FX sabers.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
hathor_sg1x
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by hathor_sg1x »

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/ ... 20Nihilus/

Update photos.

Rob thanks for the help at the Con on Friday and letting me borrow the crown for awhile! :thumbs:

I'm going to see if I can get Morgan out here to finish my belt soon hopefully and then submit and see what happens. All else fails I can jump back onboard and work on it till it's up to the LMO's liking.
hathor_sg1x
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by hathor_sg1x »

Well, I'm nearly done! :whew:

I just need to have a different crown done and type up all the extra bits on it.

The progress area: http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/ ... 20Nihilus/

The full costume...

Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

looks better

But.. are your sleeves a dif type of fabric then the rest of the costume and are they ribbed like vaders??

also the cape knot needs to be mid chest not near the neck and the hood looks to be seperate from the cape. The cape and hood are the same part. The ends of the cape are what ties into the knot . yours looks to be 2 seperate parts .

that will need to be fixed

also make sure you have 2 skirts. They need to be cut all the way up in the center of the skirt. You can not have 2 side half way cuts. the inner needs to be full and outer is a 3/4 kinda like the ones the arc troopers have
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%