Voice amp system

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Voice amp system

Post by Zachg56 »

So I am currently looking to get the helmet supplies (IE lenses, padding, etc etc) down and stuff and I was wondering what you guys think would be a good voice system. I have my eye on the ROM/FX system but they're out of stock right now. Any Ideas?
Ducktrooper
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 3771

Re: Voice amp system

Post by Ducktrooper »

I use a basic Radio shack amp ( #277-1008c ) and powered mic( #33-3012 ) the amp was $14 at the radioshack on Saginaw Hwy across the street from Lansing mall. The Mic I got out here at a radio shack and it was $20. It is quite loud and I have the amp/speaker behind my back in the 0II area. With the distortion and my natural voice I sound enough like the stormtroopers in the film. I run the mic wire up through my neck seal. I just need to re position my helmet fans they blow on the mic and create a jet sound from the speakers.
David "Ducktrooper "TK-3771
FISD
Member of the Kilted Trooper Brigade
Mt Clemens, MI.

From the Beyond
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

Ducktrooper wrote:I use a basic Radio shack amp ( #277-1008c ) and powered mic( #33-3012 ) the amp was $14 at the radioshack on Saginaw Hwy across the street from Lansing mall. The Mic I got out here at a radio shack and it was $20. It is quite loud and I have the amp/speaker behind my back in the 0II area. With the distortion and my natural voice I sound enough like the stormtroopers in the film. I run the mic wire up through my neck seal. I just need to re position my helmet fans they blow on the mic and create a jet sound from the speakers.
I have that same amp for Kelli. I found out you do not need a powered mic to use with the amp.
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Post by Lumpy »

I have a Radio Shack mic with a Newton speaker. The speaker I got on ebay. It's a teacher kind of amp system. I found I can strap the speaker around my chest and it fits perfectly under my chest armor (I have a more square cut chest armor). I added a strip of velcro on the speaker and the inside of the chest armor to hold it in place. It seems to work fairly well so far.

If people want to see the setup, I'll have it on Saturday. Nothing really fancy, but it works.
Ducktrooper
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 3771

Post by Ducktrooper »

I have that same amp for Kelli. I found out you do not need a powered mic to use with the amp.
I tried it with out the powered mic first and it did'nt work Mabyee the amp changed?
David "Ducktrooper "TK-3771
FISD
Member of the Kilted Trooper Brigade
Mt Clemens, MI.

From the Beyond
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Post by Terrell78 »

Yes the amps changed about 2.5 years ago and now "require" a powered mic. Luckily there are 2 mods available to use a non-powered mic with the current amp. One you solder a resistor on the circuit board, and the other you solder a piece of wire and create a bridge on the board. Both require soldering so that may determine whether you want to use a powered mic or not.
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Ripcode »

terrell78 wrote:Yes the amps changed about 2.5 years ago and now "require" a powered mic. Luckily there are 2 mods available to use a non-powered mic with the current amp. One you solder a resistor on the circuit board, and the other you solder a piece of wire and create a bridge on the board. Both require soldering so that may determine whether you want to use a powered mic or not.
Hmmmm... I will double check, but I am sure my headset is not powered. :?
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

huh...practically everyone has a radio shack amp...I thought they stopped selling those
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

I also have the radio shack. Just bought it last year. I tested mine out at MCCC last year. I have a powered mic as well. It worked ok but I have a fat head and it tore up my ear. Didnt fit in the bucket to well. Im going to try and do something differnet this year.
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Ripcode »

Zachg56 wrote:huh...practically everyone has a radio shack amp...I thought they stopped selling those
They are small, simple and inexpensive.

Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

ever try using an old xbox mic? those tend to fit rather well on pretty much anyone....don't know if they still sell em
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

Terrell, can you get the photo of the resistor mod? I recall seeing it on FISD but then Drama happened and the pic went away :(
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Post by Terrell78 »

Crimson wrote:Terrell, can you get the photo of the resistor mod? I recall seeing it on FISD but then Drama happened and the pic went away :(
I've been trying and asking for it for months. I thought the wire bridge mod was posted on TDH but I couldn't find it. Google wasn't much help either.

I'll keep trying.
Hyper
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 4408

Post by Hyper »

I think this might be it
I could be wrong
Attachments
radioshack.jpg
radioshack.jpg (65.94 KiB) Viewed 13581 times
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

Hmmm.... don't know -- the original photo I saw used a resistor (and of course, I don't remember the actual resistance either.... :()