What do I do now?

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
jabba974
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 8430

What do I do now?

Post by jabba974 »

So I have a problem. Without actually naming names, because of how things spread and peoples reputations and lively hoods can be damaged, I'll try and not use any names. I ordered a "costume" kit from what I believed to be a reputable supplier @ the begging of june hoping to have said costume by the first of july. Knowing that it would probly be cutting it close for an event we had upcoming. After not hearing from them in about 3 weeks I decided to send them an e-mail, and ask how everything was progressing, in which they responded that my order should be ready to ship out in about 2 weeks. So it should've been here @ the 11 of july. A couple of days before I was supposed to get my shipment, I emailed them again, and asked if everything was on schedule, because I was trying to plan time to put everything together. The e-mail I got back was that they had lost a worker, and now I wouldn't be getting my order until after the 1st of august. Now I understand that things come up and there are sometimes problems, but, there is a large event I was planning on attending with this costume, and am very disappointed!
My question is what am I to do? Do I get pissed off and demand my money back? Do I just take my lumps, and wait for it to show up? If I thought there was enough time, I might try to seek out a different supplier, but from what I've heard about these guys, is they do very very good work, and have a good reputation. The only knock I have so far is the lack of communication on there part, it seems that I have to keep asking about my order, and it usually takes a couple of days for them to get back to me.

Anybody have any advise?? Any would be great! Thanks
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Re: What do I do now?

Post by Ripcode »

How did you pay for it?
jabba974
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by jabba974 »

In full thru paypal, almost $800.00.
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

If you don't feel comfortable that they're going to fulfill their commitment, file a claim with PP and look for alternatives within the timespan that PP allows. Without knowing who you're dealing with, it's hard to say "yeah, they're like that but they're reliable" or "oh, that's an aberration...."
jabba974
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by jabba974 »

From a few people I've talked to that have had dealings with this person, they have always come thru, but I am very put out about the delay and not to sure how to handle it. I've seen there work and I dont know if I'd be satisfied with another supplier or not. If they had let me know about the delay a few weeks ago, I might have tried and gone with someone else, but, now it's a little late to make our next event.

Do you think it would be out of line to ask for some sort of compensation, or some free stuff for my troubles?
I've worked in the retail side of things before, and understand there are sometimes delays, but I've always informed my costumer's promptly.
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

I do believe that asking for compensation would end poorly. Remember that this is not a "customer service" industry -- SW costuming is all about the underground "wink wink nudge nudge" You can't report anyone to the BBB. Your only recourse is to file a PP claim or just (politely) hound the supplier.
Thumper
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 1148

Post by Thumper »

I believe I know who you are talking about, as I was given the same explaination for items that I have been waiting on since June. You will get your items, I have no doubt about that as I have bought items through him before. And the quality is top notch. The unfortunate part is that there are lots of people waiting on stuff from him. :(

If you do decide to ask for a refund, I've heard from others that he is usually prompt in that department.
Brooke Merva
TD 1148
Great Lakes Garrison
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

For the sake of argument, if the initials are "MC," then I'd be able to vouch for his integrity as well. If not, then I'm back off to the side and pretending not to know what we're talking about :)
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

Crimson wrote:For the sake of argument, if the initials are "MC," then I'd be able to vouch for his integrity as well. If not, then I'm back off to the side and pretending not to know what we're talking about :)
Yes you are correct Rome.
jabba974
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by jabba974 »

Well, since a number of you guys have vouched for this "person" I will bow to others judgement, and continue my wait... But I'm still bummed :cry:
Wags
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

Yes, I would be very bummed as well... it sucks waiting for a new toy :mrgreen: But you will be happy in the end. :thumbs:
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

Indeed. He is a good person and means well but the popularity of his work means that he's backlogged often. He does take his reputation in the community rather seriously.
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Post by Lumpy »

Agreed. TOP quality work, but not always the best with timetables. :wink:
Medve
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 1703

Post by Medve »

or communications. He just doesn't know how to say, "no, I can't. I have too much to do" to troopers. GReat stuff, when it eventually arrives.
Pants are evil and must be destroyed
http://www.facebook.com/ujvariart
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Post by Mr Fett »

I've met or heard of many costume/prop makers who operate the same way. You'll get your stuff eventually, but they always seem to take on too many orders at one time when costumers are throwing money at them. Too hard to say "no, I don't want your cash right now, maybe later when I have time to spare." :lol:
jabba974
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by jabba974 »

Ok, i just got word that the man's finished my armor this weekend and will be Shipping it out Monday morning!!!! He came trhough for me! I can't wait!!! And you guys were right, he did what he could, even all the set backs he's had the past few months. Now if I can do my part and get it put together by Saturday. :P :thumbs:
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Post by Lumpy »

Just a quick word of caution - don't be in such a rush that you do a "half-butt" job. It will be awesome to have you armored up Saturday, but it's better to have it done the right way so you don't have to spend time (and even more $$) to get it fixed up after a rush job. :thumbs:

Have fun :thumbs:
jabba974
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by jabba974 »

Ok, finished the chest plate, and installed the L.E.D.'s what do you guys think?Image
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

Can you flip the battery holder the other way so that the opening isn't facing downward?
jabba974
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by jabba974 »

It's open on either end, so I can just flip the batt.