Great Lakes Fitness Center

General discussion forum open to all registered members.
Thumper
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 1148

Re: Great Lakes Fitness Center

Post by Thumper »

1/4: 190/190/160
1/11: 190/185/160 (-5)
1/19: 190/183/160 (-2)
1/26: 190/182/160 (-1)

I need to start exercising more. Walking the dog is just not enough to burn off calories. Eatting right is good, but I need to burn more calories as well.

Bought a new exercise dvd. Cardio - Latin dance. I am looking forward to trying it out tonight. :D
Brooke Merva
TD 1148
Great Lakes Garrison
jhart06

Post by jhart06 »

Dieting has gone well... Learning to restrict to smaller meals more frequently is rough, but I've been doing it. Up to about an hour or more a day (in about 15-20 minutes, sometimes more, stints) on the elliptical at a steady pace, about between a full sprint and a walk for the most part of it.

The most confusing thing is, I do fit into some of my smaller jeans now, *BUT* according to the scales at my doctor, the Army reserves center, and the Wii fit, all say I've gained almost 8 lbs. since new years. But everything is fitting better.. I'm wondering if this is muscle re-building (i'm no doing strength training though) or what..

Ahh well... At least things fit better right?
"And if your war is so noble, so necessary - why aren't you fighting it for yourself?" - Jaster Mereel
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

Gaining that much muscle mass in this short of a time requires strength training. Muscle mass doesn't just appear, and an hour of aerobic exercise per day doesn't cause that much hypertrophy (not trying to be mean, just making sure there's good information out here). It also doesn't happen if you're eating at calorie deficit, which is what you should be concentrating on if your goal is weight loss.

Generally speaking, one needs to focus on weight loss first, then worry about building muscle mass. This is because the habits for eating, exercising, and just as importantly -- resting -- that one learns during proper safe weight loss is extra critical when attempting to make gains, which is actually a lot more difficult than losing weight.
Stardust

Post by Stardust »

Okay... I finally got serious about this. LongShot bought us a recumbant bike 2 weeks ago.
Now I do 20 minutes eliptical & 30 on bike. Eating smaller portions, no dressing on spinach salads, little to no bread and will start morning protein shakes. Hoping to see results consistently.

12/26/09 125/125/115
01/12/10 125/125/115
01/27/10 125/123/115

Stardust out!
Obi-Wan:“Wait a minute... How did this happen? We're smarter than this.”

Thumper
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Thumper »

Ok, new exercise dvd - TERRIBLE. They do close ups of the instructors face while she is doing new steps. And there is no training to do the steps. Just try to learn and keep up. Yuck. Any one know of a good website that reviews exercise dvds?

On other news, there is a new gym opening up at corner of Beck and Pontiac Trail, Planet Fitness. So within walking distance of our place. They don't open till Feb 17th, but they sent us a mailer about a special sign up deal. I was a little cautious because most gyms have hidden fees. We went and talk to them last night (they have a sign up office open right now). There are actually no hidden fees. I was surprised! No trainer on call all day, but I'm not really looking for that. So Jay and I signed up for the gym last night. Doors should open Feb 17th, and I am actually looking forward to it! :)
Brooke Merva
TD 1148
Great Lakes Garrison
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

Very good! Remember that the hardest part of any exercise program is "showing up." :)
Mrs Skirata
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Mrs Skirata »

Brooke, I take kickboxing classes at schoolcraft once a week, 14 class for $100. I think it's fun!
Diana Brang
ID-8220
Mama_Wags
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 3411

Post by Mama_Wags »

Another weekly weigh in done! Down another .8 :thumbs: Total loss of 18 pounds even...

With Tony doing WW with me, dinner time is much easier (considering he's the cook!) He's always been considerate of how many points something is but now that he's doing it too it seems as if I can eat more at dinner because he's making even lower point options! Gotta love my veggies (they're all free!!)

Jackie
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Post by Kal »

Well, friday,saturday and Sunday I am taken a short time off of P90x Monday brings 2aDays :( have to force my arse out of bed 4 days aweek and do P90x in the morning and at night. Should be fun
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

I had an exam (2) weeks ago.

I got word today from my Life Insurance company!

I got Preferred Plus!! Which is the best class and means the lowest rate!!

Thank goodness to the Great Lakes Fitness Center in keeping me on track and motivated! :mrgreen:

So not only am I getting fit, but I am saving money!
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

Just finished up my 2nd round of P90x for the day. Did Chest,Back & AB Ripper in the morning and at night. Feel like a nub right now. Type'n hurts.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

Hey, you go Rob. Doing that once a day was killing me. :thumbs:
Thumper
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Thumper »

1/4: 190/190/160
1/11: 190/185/160 (-5)
1/19: 190/183/160 (-2)
1/26: 190/182/160 (-1)
2/1: 190/180.5/160 (-1.5)

I didn't think I was going to do that well this week. Jason's brother was in town and we ate out almost every meal. But I made sure to order healthier options. :) And I still lost weight. Yea me!

I have been doing cardio via a 'Dancing with the Stars' exercise dvd. I love the 2 latin dance sessions on it. Jason was a sweetheart and bought me the new 'Dancing with the Stars' dvd that has all latin dances. So very excited to try that out tonight. :)
Brooke Merva
TD 1148
Great Lakes Garrison
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

Great job! You're making awesome progress -- portion control is a very good tool.
Mama_Wags
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 3411

Post by Mama_Wags »

Had my weekly weigh in tonight and proud to say that I maintained! No gain is good! A loss would have been nice but considering the fact that we ate out on Saturday night (a nice treat for us) and I did drink a bit...maintaining my current weight is a-okay with me! :thumbs:

I was rather proud of myself for choosing the Grilled Shrimp option at the steakhouse the other night. I was checking the menu to find a healthier option and found it! My entire meal was only 3 points! Yay me!! The best part was that I tried something that I wouldn't have normally ordered and it really enjoyed it (and Tony enjoyed my leftovers the following day)

I'll miss weigh in next week since I'll be in Florida. I plan on getting plenty of relaxation in but a little exercise as well. The condo comes with bikes so I can explore the island with my sister and cousin. We have a pool at our disposal for some good cardio and the Gulf of Mexico is just steps outside the door. I'm looking forward to a jog along the beach!

Jackie
Stardust

Post by Stardust »

Weighed in this morning and thought: "this is looking good".
12/26/09 125/125/115
01/12/10 125/125/115
01/27/10 125/123/115
02/03/10 125/121.5/115

On the elliptical this very moment envisioning 119 for next Tuesday.

Stardust out!!!
Last edited by Stardust on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LongShot

Post by LongShot »

Good job cutie! :hug:
jhart06

Post by jhart06 »

Found out from a doctor after the birth of my daughter they want me in for testing for diabetes and another condition. Both of which the physician said would explain why even with diet control, exercise, etc, that my weight is stable or creeping up. The pants I found out were a fluke.. My wife had been hiding away the old ones and replacing them with bigger sizes of the same brand, to be helpful in getting me better fitting clothes.. But, since I wasn't told... Yeah... Embarrassed is the least bit. Sorry if I came off as petulant or lieing, but we know the culprit now! :rotflmao:

I'll still be continuing the regimen, as it *does* help my mental state knowing i'm at least getting in better shape physically. I'm up to a 45 minute light jog/run, 10 up, 25 at a brisk jog, 10 down, or as close to time wise as I can.. 10-20 pushups in 2 minutes (starting slow so it's easier to do the higher amounts) and the same for situps. Also playing for about an hour a night (we take 15 minute intervals) on the Wii fit with my step-daughter and family in Kentucky.. It doesn't do the best exercises, but it is some form of accountability and bonding.
"And if your war is so noble, so necessary - why aren't you fighting it for yourself?" - Jaster Mereel
Thumper
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Thumper »

Mama_Wags wrote:I was rather proud of myself for choosing the Grilled Shrimp option at the steakhouse the other night. I was checking the menu to find a healthier option and found it! My entire meal was only 3 points! Yay me!! The best part was that I tried something that I wouldn't have normally ordered and it really enjoyed it (and Tony enjoyed my leftovers the following day)

Yum, grilled shrimp!!
Brooke Merva
TD 1148
Great Lakes Garrison
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

Last night was the 2nd day of my 2'aday p90x program - shoulders,Arms & AB. Got through it just fine, just like mondays work out. But let's just say for the first time ever...I am looking forward to yoga tonight.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%