LF: ABS scrap source, rivets / snaps / gun

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
EOTK

LF: ABS scrap source, rivets / snaps / gun

Post by EOTK »

I need to get some plastic scraps (ABS) and was wondering if anyone had a good source (either local or online). I need this to make strips for the arm and leg pieces for my TK armor as well as tabs for a snap system. I would welcome recommendations for thickness too. I'm a little worried about the color matching of the strips--I'm pretty sure that my kit doesn't include them. Any advice is much appreciated.

Also, I need to get a rivet gun and rivets. I've heard that Jo-Ann Fabrics is a good source--please tell me if you know a better one. Would appreciate any brand names and sizes to look for.

Same deal with snaps. Thanks!
G-man
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 3824

Re: LF: ABS scrap source, rivets / snaps / gun

Post by G-man »

I get my ABS form:
Acrylic Specialties & Plastics32336 Edward Avenue, Madison Heights, MI 48071-1432(248) 588-4390‎
There might be a plastics place closer to you though.

You can probably get a rivet gun pretty cheap at Harbor Freight. I don't think JoAnn Fabrics has rivet guns. They do have the pliers for mounting snaps. Get one of the 40%-50% off coupons They have them all the time and it helps on the price.

I get my snaps from Meijer. The price is cheaper than JoAnn
EOTK

Post by EOTK »

Awesome, thanks for the info, G-man! It's a bit of a drive for the ABS, but I might end up over on that side of the state one of these days anyways. I think we have Harbor Freight here though.

Are there such a thing as white rivets? Also looking for size recommendations for both rivets and snaps.

—————————
NOTE: I just wanted to mention that I'm not pursuing the butted joins with strips on legs/arms anymore. Someone helped me realize why this won't work on my armor, at least without some major work--it probably would have been obvious had it been sitting here, but I can tell that my lack of sleep is whacking me out a bit. I only mention it so you know that I know now. Stop snickering, haha! :D ;)
Mowskwoz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7794

Post by Mowskwoz »

As for the material for the snap plates, I used a thin sheet of styrene (not sure of the exact thickness) that I picked up at a hobby store. You'll want it to be thin because the posts on most snaps are not very long.
G-man wrote:You can probably get a rivet gun pretty cheap at Harbor Freight. I don't think JoAnn Fabrics has rivet guns. They do have the pliers for mounting snaps. Get one of the 40%-50% off coupons They have them all the time and it helps on the price.
I agree. Harbor Frieght for the rivet gun and JoAnn's for the snap pliers with the coupon. On second thought, if one of us is close enough, you could probably borrow one of ours. You won't really need the rivet much other than the knee plate. No sense spending money on tools that you'll probably only use once. :thumbs:

As for the snaps, you'll want heavy duty snaps. You can find them just about any store that has a fabric/craft section. Look for sales/coupons.

I think you can get white rivets but it's just as easy to paint them, if you can't find the white ones. I'm not sure what size I used as I bought a package of multiple size and length rivets and used the ones that looked like they would work best.
GLG Commanding Officer - 2012-2018, 2020–
GLG Captain of the Guard - 2019
ANH Stormtrooper - F.I.S.D. Expert Infantryman
GLB X-Wing Pilot - Shadow 77
Snowtrooper Commander - Thunder Snow Assault Squad
R2 Builder
EOTK

Post by EOTK »

The styrene makes sense on your HIPS armor--think it would work on ABS too? Good point on thickness. There's a hobby shop close--I'll see what they have.

I guess I gotta see what needs to be done on the abs/kidney plates too--are those snaps?

It'd be great to borrow a rivet tool--I just don't want to be hogging someone else's for months. I'll definitely get some snap pliers though. Who knows, maybe I'm going to do another TK--try to catch up to Stukatrooper! ;)
Mowskwoz
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Mowskwoz »

eoastrooper wrote:The styrene makes sense on your HIPS armor--think it would work on ABS too? Good point on thickness. There's a hobby shop close--I'll see what they have.
My armor is Acrylic Capped ABS not HIPS. TM's older armor was HIPS, he started pulling in Acrylic Capped ABS in '08. It works on the ABS just fine.

I also wouldn't attach the snap plates with the plastic weld like Stukatrooper does in his build. I would use E6000. If the snap ever wears out or needs to be replaced, it will be a lot easier to replace if it's attached with E6000.

The movie ab/kidney plates use rivets and a snap. There are some reference pics on the FISD somewhere. That detail is not required for EIB, but there are some who have done it.
R2 Builder
EOTK

Post by EOTK »

Whoops, sorry didn't know that TM is done in ABS now.

Ok, I will skip the weld completely--that part was freaking me out anyways. Think 4 tubes of E6000 is enough for a build?

Hmm, I missed it that the ab / kidney rivets were optional for EIB--I see it now, it's under the should have section. How are you attaching the piece between the ab and kidney plates on your armor?

Man, there's a lot to keep track of in this hobby...
Mowskwoz
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Mowskwoz »

eoastrooper wrote:Think 4 tubes of E6000 is enough for a build?
That's more than plenty. I used just about 1 large tube for my build. I can let you know the exact size later. All I see at stores now is the smaller tubes so you might need more than 1 tube.
How are you attaching the piece between the ab and kidney plates on your armor?
I use white sticky back Industrial strength velcro. That way you can adjust it in or out easily if you lose/gain weight.
Man, there's a lot to keep track of in this hobby...
Yes, there can be. But it looks like you're doing your research. :thumbs:
R2 Builder
EOTK

Post by EOTK »

Mowskwoz wrote:That's more than plenty. I used just about 1 large tube for my build. I can let you know the exact size later. All I see at stores now is the smaller tubes so you might need more than 1 tube.
Yeah, all I've seen is the small tubes. Maybe that hobby store will have big ones--I don't mind having a little extra around for repairs.
Mowskwoz wrote:I use white sticky back Industrial strength velcro. That way you can adjust it in or out easily if you lose/gain weight.
So, what is the material you are using between the ab / kidney plate? And yes, I expect my weight at least go down, so thanks for the tip on the velcro.
Mowskwoz wrote:Yes, there can be. But it looks like you're doing your research. :thumbs:
I'm trying, man, but feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. At least I haven't ruined anything expensive yet though! ;)
Mowskwoz
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Mowskwoz »

eoastrooper wrote:So, what is the material you are using between the ab / kidney plate?
I asked TM to send me some spare ABS to use for the side gaps. I knew I would need it and I wanted it to match perfectly, so I figured it best to get it from the same source as my armor. If you ask nicely, maybe RT will send some along with your armor. Or you could offer to pay a little extra for it.
R2 Builder
EOTK

Post by EOTK »

Ok, thanks man. Those are some really good ideas.