I Give Up!! Seamstress' please!!!

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Mr Green
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

I Give Up!! Seamstress' please!!!

Post by Mr Green »

OK, I quit. lol I seriously can't make this Jawa robe. I can't cut or stitch, I might as well be trying to build a rocketship. :blink:

Is there anyone in the Grand Blanc / Pontiac area that's willing to make one up for me? Of course I'll pay for time and materials but frankly I don't have any materials.

If anyone is interested please let me know!!!
"Together We Are What We Can't Be Alone" -Dropkick Murphys
kibosh

Re: I Give Up!! Seamstress' please!!!

Post by kibosh »

What problems are you having? I assume you're using monk's cloth? Did you wash it before you started cutting it? This is critical to the process. My mc shrunk 20% when I washed it for my Tusken robes.

When you're dealing with fabric, you NEED good scissors for it. I bought a $30 - $40 pair (using a 40% of coupon of course!) from Joann's. It never touches ANYTHING other than fabric. I learned this the hard way struggling through many early sewing projects...
ejbdesign

Check out my daily Lego picture at alegoaday.com
SlvrCrest
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 4617

Post by SlvrCrest »

what problems are you having?
Jedi Master Kolban Gryph-Lyn
TS-4617
Mr Green
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Mr Green »

well I don't know how to sew, that hurts, and i don't have a sewing machine so it takes forever. I have no idea how I'm going to make the hood or cut it to lay right.

I was just using kitchen shears with a cheaper fabric to practice but it just keeps coming out like garbage.

I know realistically I should just be patient and save up for the machine but I'm trying to make it for the Crim Walk since I'll be in it anyway.
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

As rudimentary as it sounds, if you're using kitchen shears, I would really suggest taking a basic sewing class at JoAnn's or your local community center. Sewing costumes to 501st/RL specs isn't for beginners and it's not something you can just jump into. I learned that the hard way myself, and I have a sewing machine.
AkaneTakada

Post by AkaneTakada »

yeah I can only sew little things so Im enlisting a seamstress friend to bring my ideas to life, but I help her wherever I can so I can contribute to the costume, and I do all the accessories and extra stuff. I would suggest you do that if your trying to make a deadline and then you can take classes and work your way up to sewing by yourself!!
kibosh

Post by kibosh »

mtgreenleaves wrote:well I don't know how to sew, that hurts, and i don't have a sewing machine so it takes forever. I have no idea how I'm going to make the hood or cut it to lay right.

I was just using kitchen shears with a cheaper fabric to practice but it just keeps coming out like garbage.

I know realistically I should just be patient and save up for the machine but I'm trying to make it for the Crim Walk since I'll be in it anyway.
Are you trying to sew it by hand? That's going to be really challenging.

My wife got a sewing machine for Christmas one year. I got a couple books from the library, and taught myself. I knew the quality my Star Wars costumes were going to require, so i started out with Captain Jack Sparrow. I did the breeches, first, and they're far and away the worst piece I've done. :oops:

I did the vest next, then the waistcoat, and finally the puffy shirt. Got a little better every time learning new things. I LOVE the shirt. Turned out great.

Two years, I did a full blown TDK Joker, and sewed the vest and long coat. The coat was my first attempt at a lining, and I gotta say, they came out great.

I've also done Anakin and Jango Fett for my son.

Soooooo....

It does take practice. To me, all things Star Wars hold a sacred place in my heart, and I wouldn't be happy if they didn't meet expectations. That's why I took a few years to learn on other costumes that wouldn't get the scrutiny! :D
ejbdesign

Check out my daily Lego picture at alegoaday.com
SlvrCrest
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 4617

Post by SlvrCrest »

totallyice wrote:I looked everywhere. I researched the costume for about a month before I started making it. Everything is finished now. Just have to take some pics. I ended up modifying a pattern I found at Wal*Mart:

I think I have this pattern at home. I could see if I could help you out.
Jedi Master Kolban Gryph-Lyn
TS-4617
Mr Green
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Mr Green »

yes I was trying by hand and it totally sucked. I have already made all the accessories. Got the mask and glowing eyes, got boots and gloves, it's just the robe thats slowing me down. but ill look into sewing classes. im sure i can find the time to take them.
hathor_sg1x
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 9886

Post by hathor_sg1x »

Their is a really OLD vintage Star Wars Pattern I've seen to make the Jawa. I know my grandmother used it to make my uncle the Ewok costume years ago when he was a kid. You can locate it on ebay if your lucky, but I don't think anyone has it. The pattern is only Made for a kid, but it could easyily be used as a basis for an adult.
Rodney McKay: *mumbeling around his food* You need to get out more.
Carson Beckett: We're in another galaxy, how much more out can you get?
hathor_sg1x
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 9886

Post by hathor_sg1x »

I lie! \0/ Someone DOES have the pattern on ebay. It's out of the US, but it's the only seller I see offering the pattern. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/KIDS-STAR-WARS-LEIA ... 4a9f2dbabb

You COULD however get away with this pattern...It's just you'd need to figure out how to add in a hood.
http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m2339-p ... age_id=914

This pattern is really simple to use, I've buthered mine for a Nihilus costume to just make my inner tunic part.
Rodney McKay: *mumbeling around his food* You need to get out more.
Carson Beckett: We're in another galaxy, how much more out can you get?
Mieal_Deneb
Great Lakes Base Member
Great Lakes Base Member

Post by Mieal_Deneb »

You don't really need a pattern for the jawa. It's just a basic "T" shape with an un-attached hood (the originals didn't have attached hoods).

http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.com/ ... jawas.html

http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.com/ ... -hood.html
~Rachel