body suit needs bulk

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Darth Katz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 35289

body suit needs bulk

Post by Darth Katz »

I am looking at getting some type of clothing that will give me bulk. It will be worn under the body suit. What do others do to add bulk? I need it mostly around the tummy section (abs).

Vader: So, you have accepted the truth.

Darth Katz
ROTJ Vader: Guest Status
Imperial Crewman
Great Lakes Base Jedi

White Stormtrooper-WIP. Armor arrives on 3-4-19. Almost done!
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Re: body suit needs bulk

Post by Kal »

Darth Katz wrote:I am looking at getting some type of clothing that will give me bulk. It will be worn under the body suit. What do others do to add bulk? I need it mostly around the tummy section (abs).

Just do a "How too search"

I do not think any of our MI Vaders use any bulk help
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%
Tubby Tusken
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 5068

Post by Tubby Tusken »

Well I sat around and did nothing, pigged out at every buffet for 37 years. It took a lot of discipline but I focused and I have some massive bulk around my belly region. Now don't get discourage you can't get a cartoonish figure over night but with a little hard work you can look as disgusting as me. :rotflmao:
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Post by Lumpy »

Herein lies the problem. If you find something to give you bulk, you will also be adding layers which may very well cause potentially serious overheating issues. When I Vader, I wear a thin cotton turtleneck that I cut the sleeves off of. You are going to be wrapped in a leather suit with a wool cape over top of it. More layers underneath is NOT what you're looking for. This is not even a "do I look Vaderly" issue - this becomes a personal safety issue.
Darth Katz
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Darth Katz »

Thanks much! I will forgo the potato chips for bulk-(thanks from above) and resort to the turtleneck suggestion. This way my arteries won't suffer. LOL
I also saw that a Vader from Europe had on a head wrap of some sort. He put it on before he put the helmet on. Maybe to keep his hair out of his eyes? Anybody use this? I would think it would lesson the use of the fans in the helmet.

Darth Katz
Imperial Crewman
Great Lakes Base Jedi

Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Lumpy »

I wear a standard black balaclava. Between that and the turtleneck, they come together and don't let any skin show.
Darth Katz
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Darth Katz »

Lumpy wrote:I wear a standard black balaclava. Between that and the turtleneck, they come together and don't let any skin show.
Thanks Lumpy! I will research this! The pros and cons.

Darth Katz
Imperial Crewman
Great Lakes Base Jedi

Hyper
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 4408

Post by Hyper »

Basic costume shop " Mr. Incredible " suit.
It's padded in all the right spots , should bulk you up nice :thumbs:
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Lumpy »

Hyper wrote:Basic costume shop " Mr. Incredible " suit.
Very true - as long as it doesn't cause her to overheat once it's under the leather suit. If you can find one cheap, it's worth a shot.
Darth Katz
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Darth Katz »

Hyper wrote:Basic costume shop " Mr. Incredible " suit.

Thanks! I have such a tiny waist, I feel I need some added something. If I put Vader's belt on it will fall off. I found the batman costume top, since its also black, I could cut it up and only use the abdominal section.

Darth Katz
Imperial Crewman
Great Lakes Base Jedi

Hyper
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 4408

Post by Hyper »

My next thought is a run to play it again sports for football pads. They make all kinds depending on what position you play. Also a "quarterback rib guard" might fill out the waist.

Just thoughts :D
Jaster
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 3829

Post by Jaster »

With all of that padding , you're going to need a NASA cooling suit to keep heat exhaustion at bay :shock:
hathor_sg1x
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 9886

Post by hathor_sg1x »

Don't wear a ton of layers under Vader...Like they say in Robot chicken...You're going to smell like leathery burnt baccon. :lol: I've learned my lesson since wearing Nihilus inside and outside...Wear THIN layers under costumes that you are going to be completely covered in from head to toe.(or 5-10 layers of black Linen/moleskin/insulated fabric) Over heating and nearly passing out is not good, I can easyily remove my Nihilus top layers in one pull without ruining anything, and if needed have water dumped over me, it's one reason I don't wear that costume now as much after having that happen to me at a convention I was attending with some friends.

With Vader you got more layers on that will take time to start removing and if someone we're to dump water on you in that....Ouch at the dry cleaner bill and you take a chance of ruining any electrical items you might have outside or inside the suit and you don't want to have to be placed in the hospitel eaither from that. Please take into account your bodys limtations when you complete Vader and see how long you can handle wearing the costume with normal layers and a 'bulk'. Men and women have different tolerances to what they can handle with the heat issue.

I'm not sure if they make a body suit that are able to retain cool tempatures, I think their is one but maybe one of the older costumeing members might know but that would be something to invest in honestly just to keep your body tempatures at a cooler tempature in your leather oven suit. That's just my two cents.
Rodney McKay: *mumbeling around his food* You need to get out more.
Carson Beckett: We're in another galaxy, how much more out can you get?
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

Can also buy a cooling vest as well. Shawn Payne used to use one with his Vader
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Lumpy »

Kal wrote:Can also buy a cooling vest as well. Shawn Payne used to use one with his Vader
And now I do :wink:
It's good for about 2 hours (and would add bulk) but then it's just more weight. :thumbs:
If you're interested, I can look up the website for you, but plan on it running about $200 for a vest and set of packs.
Darth Katz
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Darth Katz »

Lumpy wrote:
Kal wrote:Can also buy a cooling vest as well. Shawn Payne used to use one with his Vader
It's good for about 2 hours (and would add bulk) but then it's just more weight. :thumbs:
If you're interested, I can look up the website for you, but plan on it running about $200 for a vest and set of packs.
This has my attention! What is a cooling vest and who would sell it? (I am going to first before I buy anything, see if just the body suit would be all I actually need. Then if I do really need extra help, then I know where to go).
Thanks!!

Darth Katz
Imperial Crewman
Great Lakes Base Jedi

Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

Darth Katz wrote:
Lumpy wrote:
This has my attention! What is a cooling vest and who would sell it? (I am going to first before I buy anything, see if just the body suit would be all I actually need. Then if I do really need extra help, then I know where to go).
Thanks!!

it is what it sounds like. Just do a search
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%