41st Elite Clone w.i.p.

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Re: 41st Elite Clone w.i.p.

Post by Terrell78 »

Any computer store should have the fans. I miss Past Time hobbies.
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

Post by DeafTrooper »

I had a hard time finding sink fixtures with aerator screens big enough to use for the helmet ones. Decided to try and use screen patch material for screen doors. Going to cut them down to size, 2 per each aerator with the overlapping one rotated 45 degrees, to give it a nice pattern. Going to leave a little bit of a lip when I carve out the plastic of the aerators I got with the helmet, so I have something to glue the screens to.
CT/ID-7859
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter

Post by DeafTrooper »

I carved out one of the aerators and used a nickel as a template to cut down the 2 screens. Did a test fit and it really looks good. Not bad for $2.40 for a 7 pack of screen patches! :D

CT/ID-7859
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

Nice :thumbs: Looks good!!
syntax
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 5480

Post by syntax »

I apologize for the thread derail....but what did you use for a visor for your EVO3 clone helmet?

I thought you were supposed to use a #3 welding visor, but my local welding shop only has green ones...aren't they supposed to be 'smoke' or grey color?

Thanks.
TK 100% (EIB status: Approved 12/15/2010 EIB#140)
"Stak" Lightning Squad Animated ARF Trooper: Approved 4/14/2012
Darth Nihilus (KOTOR): 83.7%
Lou3433
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 3433

Post by Lou3433 »

syntax wrote:I apologize for the thread derail....but what did you use for a visor for your EVO3 clone helmet?

I thought you were supposed to use a #3 welding visor, but my local welding shop only has green ones...aren't they supposed to be 'smoke' or grey color?

Thanks.
I believe a #3 shade is too light. You will be able to see your eyes if you use that. Once you cut the shield and put it in your helmet, you can't tell that it's green. I think I have a big hunk of shield left that you can have if you want. I think it's a shade #6?...maybe. I know it's the dark green color.
Lou Rodriquez
Rimshot
Legion ID: 8135

Post by Rimshot »

I picked up a shade #5 green visor from airgas. Its dark enough that it looks blackish to the normal eye.
'Rimshot' :D
327th Clone Done and Aproved!
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter

Post by DeafTrooper »

i always thought it was supposed to be smoke also. i picked up a face sheild @ lowes and was going to just add window tinting material to it.
CT/ID-7859
Wags

Post by Wags »

All mine are green. Your right, once you put it in your bucket you cant tell. And a #5 is plenty. If you go any darker, it gets hard to see when your inside a dimly lit room.
syntax
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 5480

Post by syntax »

Thanks for the tips on the visor guys!

Thanks for the offer Lou, but with gas @ ~$4, it'll be much cheaper for me to snag one locally....I'm going to try to make a bunch of progress on my helmet @ Jolly's house this weekend...too late to ship it ;)
TK 100% (EIB status: Approved 12/15/2010 EIB#140)
"Stak" Lightning Squad Animated ARF Trooper: Approved 4/14/2012
Darth Nihilus (KOTOR): 83.7%
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter

Post by DeafTrooper »

Does it actually matter if it is green or smoke? I'd prefer the smoked one. also, those of you who have fans inside your buckets...how loud does it get? I'm worried that the noise will drown out people's voices on my hearing aid and I also want to have a mic and amplifier set-up. Would this not be possible with the fans running?
CT/ID-7859
Keanu
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 7088

Post by Keanu »

DeafTrooper wrote:Does it actually matter if it is green or smoke? I'd prefer the smoked one.
I don't think it matters, the only thing I can think of is that with pictures if its not tinted enough on the smoke kind you might see you face or an outline; Doesn't happen with the greens.
DeafTrooper wrote:those of you who have fans inside your buckets...how loud does it get? I'm worried that the noise will drown out people's voices on my hearing aid and I also want to have a mic and amplifier set-up. Would this not be possible with the fans running?
If your using computer fans you shouldn't have anything to worry about; you may slightly hear it but I don't think that every happened in my lid. As far as outside the helmet not a chance.
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter

Post by DeafTrooper »

Keanu wrote:
DeafTrooper wrote:Does it actually matter if it is green or smoke? I'd prefer the smoked one.
I don't think it matters, the only thing I can think of is that with pictures if its not tinted enough on the smoke kind you might see you face or an outline; Doesn't happen with the greens.
DeafTrooper wrote:those of you who have fans inside your buckets...how loud does it get? I'm worried that the noise will drown out people's voices on my hearing aid and I also want to have a mic and amplifier set-up. Would this not be possible with the fans running?
If your using computer fans you shouldn't have anything to worry about; you may slightly hear it but I don't think that every happened in my lid. As far as outside the helmet not a chance.
Ok, thanks! I wasn't sure if the color mattered or not, because I've heard that on the tk's that they can be picky about it. Didn't know if it was the same for clones.

As for the fans, the only ones small enough I could find were 25mm radio control fans. A friend of mine brought up the noise issue and it was something I hadn't even thought of.
CT/ID-7859
Keanu
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Keanu »

Not sure how those fans will sound I picked mine up at radioshack for a couple bucks and they circulate pretty well. I used my to help with visor fog more than anything, unless you over heat naturally inside the helmet is not too bad using the fans sparingly.
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter

Post by DeafTrooper »

what size do you have? i want to go with 25mm by 25mm and stick them right behind the aerators. i looked on the radio shack web site and they don't have any in that size. was going to get the ones from a web site that someone posted.
CT/ID-7859
Lou3433
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 3433

Post by Lou3433 »

DeafTrooper wrote:what size do you have? i want to go with 25mm by 25mm and stick them right behind the aerators. i looked on the radio shack web site and they don't have any in that size. was going to get the ones from a web site that someone posted.
I think mine were about 2" or 50 mm. They didn't hit my face at all and pulled in a lot of fresh air.
Lou Rodriquez
Keanu
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Keanu »

I believe this is what I used in there; its a radioshack brand and thats the only one I see on there site. If I run out today I'll check the radioshack down the road and be sure.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2102824
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter

Post by DeafTrooper »

man, I must have been real tired when i measured it last time. Could've sworn it was 25mm wide. You guys are right...it is 50mm/2 inches. will see what radio shack has tomorrow.
CT/ID-7859
Wags

Post by Wags »

I have 3 of those fans in my helmet and the sound is not bad. Of course, I don't know about the hearing aid. If you try and position them away from the sides of your head that should do the trick. I do not, however, recommend a squirrel cage fan. They work awesome, but are SUPER loud, or at least the one that I have in my wifes clone is.. :blink:
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter

Post by DeafTrooper »

LOL Thanks guys!

Well, I got the visor and aerators taped on to see how they fit. Will make a trip to get some paint in a few days.

As for the visor tinting...all I could find at the auto store was smoked 2.5, 5, 20 and 35%. The 2.5 and 5% were too dark. Has anybody tried the 20 or 35%?
CT/ID-7859