where to purchase vader costume pieces?

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
drbones2nd
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 6844

where to purchase vader costume pieces?

Post by drbones2nd »

Want to begin building my 501st compliant rots darth vader costume and needed advice where to acquire the necessary pieces. Who is reputable to deal with? My first acquisition would be the helmet....where or who sells helmets and vader pieces? Any input would be appreciated....
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Re: where to purchase vader costume pieces?

Post by Crimson »

From the FAQ:
1. Where can I get one of those (ie. armor, uniform, etc)?
Mostly, we make them, whether through vacu-forming their own molds or sewing their own patterns. You can occasionally find some stuff on eBay here or there, but do a lot of research into them before leaping at the first thing you find because there are a lot of unscrupulous sellers out there that are trying to jack up prices beyond reasonable levels. Visit the 501st Legion Detachments Directory for more details.
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Post by Kal »

drbones2nd wrote:Want to begin building my 501st compliant rots darth vader costume and needed advice where to acquire the necessary pieces. Who is reputable to deal with? My first acquisition would be the helmet....where or who sells helmets and vader pieces? Any input would be appreciated....

For a ROTS Vader you are going to be some what limited on the Helmet. Best Bet is to buy the MR one off @bay if you can find one.

Use The link Crimson posted.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Post by Lumpy »

And get ready to pay for parts.......

A 501st approvable Vader will run upwards of $2000 and can quickly end up close to $5000 depending on the parts you get.
mparent
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9780

Post by mparent »

When you are ready I make the ROTS chest box and belt buckle. :thumbs:

Michael
drbones2nd
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by drbones2nd »

Ended up buying a complete esb costume from a 501st member. Thanks anyways
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Post by Lumpy »

That's fine - congratulations (I actually did the same thing myself).
Just remember that just because a costume is 501st approved for someone else does not automatically guarantee approval for you. The standards have changed and there may be some tweaking to get it to wear and look right ON YOU - that's the key. :thumbs:
drbones2nd
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by drbones2nd »

Out of the entire costume, i ended up keeping only the hard pieces. Unfortunately the robes and suit do not fit my 6'6" frame and had to get those custom ordered. Considering what i paid, it was still a good purchase.
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

Lumpy wrote:That's fine - congratulations (I actually did the same thing myself).
Just remember that just because a costume is 501st approved for someone else does not automatically guarantee approval for you. The standards have changed and there may be some tweaking to get it to wear and look right ON YOU - that's the key. :thumbs:
So true. I have an Emperor set that can't be approved anymore because the standards for the outer robe changed. And I bought it from a 501st member who had that costume approved long before! :(

So I'll wear it as an unofficial costume or something since I can't really even sell it.
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Post by Terrell78 »

Crimson wrote: So true. I have an Emperor set that can't be approved anymore because the standards for the outer robe changed. And I bought it from a 501st member who had that costume approved long before! :(

So I'll wear it as an unofficial costume or something since I can't really even sell it.
You always have Ebay, and Halloween is right around the corner.
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

I tried that already, but apparently when competing with the garbage Halloween costumes that are out there, "fair value" wasn't really enticing enough. :)
drbones2nd
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by drbones2nd »

What has changed on the robe requirements? Last I read, it was to be made of wool and silk lined with proper collar and chain, depending on the vader you are going for.
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Crimson »

Sorry -- we derailed your topic! :oops: I was talking about my Emperor robes as an example of why it's always best to constantly check the standards and not assume that just because you bought a piece from a 501st member that it's still up to spec.