SHadow Scout WIP

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

SHadow Scout WIP

Post by Zachg56 »

So as you all may know, I've been working on a some shadow scout armor for some time.

Good news is: asides from the belt and holster it's practically finished.

Bad news is: even though I switched to korpserkel for the belt.....it's still pretty damn big on me, even if it is slightly smaller than the Studio creations belt.

So...anyone know someone whom I could possibly get something considerably smaller?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was able to get into contact with someone for a smaller belt...32" long belt will fit a whole lot better than a 37.5" belt...
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Re: SHadow Scout WIP

Post by Zachg56 »

Here is what the current progress of the storm commando is, with the KS belt and me completely forgetting to put on the bicep armor on. Although you can't see it here, but I could put both hands between the belt and myself and still have room to move em both around.

All that's left, is to sand the new belt, take the webbing of the older one, put in holes and then rivet it all up.

Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

Hokay current status of the belt

Edges have been sanded and smoothed over, slots have been cut into the middle so that the strapping can go through (finally found a cheap dremmel set), webbing from the old belt has been taken off so that it can be used in conjunction with the new belt.

Now for some questions: how big can the belt be in comparison to the body before it's considered to be unacceptable for 501st standards? I know that you have to see the three middle boxes in the front at least, but can the outer boxes extend slightly past the waist? Unless I somehow find someone willing to make a custom belt for some as skinny as I am....or unless MonCal has a much smaller belt than the 32" one I currently have, I don't see how I can actually get one that would be truly proportional to my body.

Second, should I go with one or two rivets? I've been told that both will do, considering the fact that the storm commando is essentially a black scout trooper, but I'd rather confirm it with the scouts here (if we have any other than Silverfox), on how many to use. Currently I plan on going with two on each side so that I can just use the holes in the webbing as guide and whatnot, however, if stated otherwise I will try to go with one on each side.

Finally: Anyone know how to go about bending the belt with a heat gun or hair drier? I don't know exactly how long or how far away I should put the heatgun/hair drier to the insides of the belt for and I'd rather not melt the plastic by accident. While I would prefer doing this with someone else, I can try to do it by myself if necessary, barring mixed results that would occur.

Oh...and on a side note, does it matter how long the duct cloth (for the chest/back plate) is or can it be as long/small as I see fit?
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Post by Mr Fett »

I’ve never built a Scout Trooper so can’t help with your construction details, but since you were asking about Scouts besides Silverfox.... I know off the top of my head there’s 2 Scouts on the west side of the state, 1 Scout up north, and 4 Scouts that are all at various stages of building their costumes near the metro Detroit area. There’s probably more than that even, those are just quickly coming to mind.
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

Armor is in the final stages of creation. All that is left really now is for rivets to be placed, and for some sewing to be done. I decided to forgo the heat gun, due to the fact that the belt bends naturally where I need it to. On the other hand, some things aren't so easy. For example...I have no clue how to use a rivet gun properly still, seeing as how when I practiced earlier today, well the rivets broke earlier a lot of times....

Next up, how's the holster placement look to y'all?
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

Belt harness has been sewn, same for the duct cloth that goes on top of the shoulder straps, I don't know how much is actually necessary, but I went with 6' as a precaution, not like I wouldn't be able to cut off the extra length if required to. Need to find the leather hole puncher we have before I do anything for the holster.

As for the old rivets that were still attached to the original belt strapping, well I found out that pliers work rather well in removing them from fabrics, so I'm able to use those again which is good.

Overall, I should be able to provide pics later of a troop-set of shadow scout armor this weekend, minus holster of course. If it turns out the belt ends up being too big....well I had ordered a MonCal belt recently just in case.

The irony that I spent 4 years on and off on a set of TK armor and yet the set I ordered last winter ends up being completed during the summer...I blame the lack of any major modifications necessary for that XD
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

I bring you.... ZE Ukelele trooper!

Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

cummerbund has been dyed, still has a slight hint of green to it up close, but the overall appearance is black now.

Belt seems still just a bit big for my tastes, so I'm getting a MonCal type belt to use as well.

Here's the current look, still no holster on the boots though as we can tell.
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

Zach made a second trip out to my house today and this is what we got done:

1. Repair belt.
2. Make new and improved shoulder connectors.
3. Repair pouches, add foam to fill them out and reposition them.
4. Darken pouches and cumberbund. No more green.
5. Remove zippers and pockets on flight suit (Andy Miller is no longer allowed to touch a seam ripper in my house! :blink: ).

We took his submission pics and I believe he is ready for approval (FINALLY!) :mrgreen:

Pics courtesy of Kelli J Hepler
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop

Post by Mr Fett »

Ripcode wrote: (Andy Miller is no longer allowed to touch a seam ripper in my house! :blink: ).
:mrgreen:
Mowskwoz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7794

Post by Mowskwoz »

Ripcode wrote: We took his submission pics and I believe he is ready for approval (FINALLY!) :mrgreen:
Finally! What's it been? 4 years? Good thing you dropped the TK. The Shadow Scout fits your frame much better.

Looks Good Zach :thumbs:

GLG Commanding Officer - 2012-2018, 2020–
GLG Captain of the Guard - 2019
ANH Stormtrooper - F.I.S.D. Expert Infantryman
GLB X-Wing Pilot - Shadow 77
Snowtrooper Commander - Thunder Snow Assault Squad
R2 Builder
Flash
Garrison Advisor
Garrison Advisor
Legion ID: 5156

Post by Flash »

Finally! What's it been? 4 years? Good thing you dropped the TK. The Shadow Scout fits your frame much better.

Looks Good Zach :thumbs:
I agree, that works and looks great on your frame Zach!
Mike Lica - 5156
I like Star Wars
Sleg
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9317

Post by Sleg »

Looking sweet!
TK/DZ/BH/TS -9317
501st Legion
Great Lakes Garrison

R2 Builder Club
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

I still have the TK set, so plenty of spare parts to go around in case people need em....

And yes...after 4 years, I finally got something finished. The irony that it took less time to do the scout than it did for the still unfinished TK....which will now be kept in storage either to get more work done on it or to use for replacement pieces in case anyone else's stuff breaks. mostly the upper body stuff that is
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop

Post by Mr Fett »

I could use an FX ammo belt and shoulder straps. :wink: My FX suit came with the shoulder straps riveted onto the chest and backplates, and I'd need to remove the rivets to make the suit more accurate.
Flash
Garrison Advisor
Garrison Advisor
Legion ID: 5156

Post by Flash »

I hope you don't mind if I post one of those photos on the GLG Facebook. :wink:
Mike Lica - 5156
I like Star Wars
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

Mr Fett wrote:I could use an FX ammo belt and shoulder straps. :wink: My FX suit came with the shoulder straps riveted onto the chest and backplates, and I'd need to remove the rivets to make the suit more accurate.
I'll bring my FX shoulder pads up with me when I get back up from thanks giving....I believe I still have the entire torso section of my old FX armor as well...although the belt is riveted onto it.
Flash wrote:I hope you don't mind if I post one of those photos on the GLG Facebook. :wink:
Go right ahead!
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

Now, if I see you with that Nerf gun again Im going to take it from you and run it over with my van. Just sayin.. lol No, but seriously... I will...
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

Wags wrote:Now, if I see you with that Nerf gun again Im going to take it from you and run it over with my van. Just sayin.. lol No, but seriously... I will...
I've already told him, that piece of crap Nerf gun is a no go. He has a Hyperfirm E-11, for cripes sake!

And he is not to use the term "dual wielding" in my presence... ever.
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

No worries....I won't use it...besides my friend wants his stuff back anyways