Wizard World Chicago

General discussion forum open to all registered members.
Qonas
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 60183

Wizard World Chicago

Post by Qonas »

Howdy folks! :cheers:

So the combination of my tax refund coming in and the announcement of the Daredevil cast now appearing at Wizard World Chicago has me thinking I'll actually head there this year! This'd be my first trip to a con outside of the state in pretty much ever, and really my first solid trip as a convention go'er. I was wondering if anybody had tips or advice on planning this? Should I look into purchasing admission/photo op tickets now, should I wait to figure out hotel and travel plans, what are the best/cheapest options for those, etc?

Any advice would be appreciated! It's going to be expensive enough getting in and seeing the celebs I want, I don't want to end up with something in the plan all messed up. :thumbs:
Costume Progress
Jawa - ACTIVE
Biker Scout - 0%
Officer - Back to the drawing board
Husky
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 52105

Re: Wizard World Chicago

Post by Husky »

When we went to Chicago we used Priceline's Express Deals to book a hotel. You don't know the name of the hotel until after you pay, but you can get about 60% off the hotel room doing it that way. Both times we used it, we stayed in the Loop area and they were good, clean hotels. Last time we got a hotel right on the river for $94 a night.

We took the train down there because I hate driving in Chicago. Their public transport system is awesome and has a stop right outside McCormick Place (not sure if this is where Wizard World is at). Figure you'd have to pay for parking at your hotel,and at the convention, so the train always saved us money. Plus some hotels may even have a shuttle going to the con.

Admissions you might want to check if the price is going up at all, and get them before the increase. I never purchased a photo op, so I have no advice on that.
Kevin Johnson

Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Post by Mr Fett »

Husky wrote: We took the train down there because I hate driving in Chicago. Their public transport system is awesome and has a stop right outside McCormick Place (not sure if this is where Wizard World is at). Figure you'd have to pay for parking at your hotel,and at the convention, so the train always saved us money. Plus some hotels may even have a shuttle going to the con.
Wizard World Chicago isn't in the city of Chicago. It's in one of the suburb cities - Rosemont. The "Chicago" name of the con is the same as "Motor City" for our con, even though it's in the city of Novi. Rosemont is where O'Hare airport is, and it's right near there.

There's at least 2 hotels that I remember are connected right to the convention center via Skywalks.

Of the 2 large size Chicago cons, WWC is bigger than C2E2 and has been around much longer, but C2E2 is catching up pretty fast. Probably partly to do with the fact C2E2 has cheaper admission prices. :lol:
Qonas
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Qonas »

Yeah the expense was VERY noticeable when I tried doing all permutations of admissions/photos. I'm willing to swallow what I'm paying because I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get out to see these celebs again, but even with the tax refund the cost had my eyebrows up.

Which hotels are connected via skywalk, do you recall their names? I'm already splurging on this sooo... :lol:
Husky wrote:We took the train down there because I hate driving in Chicago. Their public transport system is awesome and has a stop right outside McCormick Place (not sure if this is where Wizard World is at). Figure you'd have to pay for parking at your hotel,and at the convention, so the train always saved us money. Plus some hotels may even have a shuttle going to the con.
Oh yeah that was my plan, not to drive at all. Carpool or train. Any major city that isn't Detroit usually has decent-to-good public transportation and so having the car isn't as big of a deal, especially if you're in a fairly close hotel to whever.
Admissions you might want to check if the price is going up at all, and get them before the increase. I never purchased a photo op, so I have no advice on that.
Ha, I don't know how the prices could get higher but this is what I was thinking, lock in the cost now so it's already dealt with. I just worry about guest cancellations at the last minute.
Costume Progress
Jawa - ACTIVE
Biker Scout - 0%
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Post by Mr Fett »

https://www.google.com/maps/place/5555+ ... ea5cc1de8b

Hyatt Regency O’Hare is connected by skywalks to the convention center.

Hilton/Rosement Chicago O’Hare
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago O’Hare
Double Tree by Hilton Chicago O’Hare
Crowne Plaza Chicago O’Hare

……are all literally right across the street from the convention center. 1 of them also has a skywalk into the convention center, but forgot which one.
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

Sheldon, make sure to stop and check in with the Lollipop Guild when you get to Chicago.
Qonas
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Qonas »

They have a branch there????? :shock: :dance:
Costume Progress
Jawa - ACTIVE
Biker Scout - 0%
Brewski
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 11105

Post by Brewski »

Up in the air if I will be attending. Just made the investment in a dog today :mrgreen: I stayed at the Embassy Suites which is directly connected to the convention center with the Skywalk. It is a very nice hotel, but a bit pricy if I remembers correctly (best to look for online deals or see if anyone you know works for Hilton Hotels).
"Brewski" TK/TS/TB 11105

ImageImageImage
BikerScoutDawn
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 40795

Post by BikerScoutDawn »

I am there all four days have gone every year for the last seven years so this will be my second year as a trooper. I highly suggest that you get your tickets and celebrity passes ahead of time as a guarantee that you will get one. You said you plan on being there for the Daredevil I do not know your finances but I highly suggest of the VIP package as you will get in your line faster than anyone else and I do expect that line to be extremely long.

The Midwest Garrison has a booth however in the past they have not had a change in area the Khan does not treat them as good as what we are treated for MCC or even Grand Rapids I could be wrong but this time they have a changing area but that would kind of shock me
TB 40795