reinforcing clone helmet

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

reinforcing clone helmet

Post by DeafTrooper »

a while back i dropped my evo3 helmet and busted part of the mohawk off of it. used crazy glue to put it back on. work for a while but, since i have a tendency to pick it up by the mohawk, it has started to loosen up again. after i glue it again, would it be advisable to fill the inside of the mohawk with expanding foam? the kind used for insulation? thought it might be a good way to reinforce it.
CT/ID-7859
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Re: reinforcing clone helmet

Post by Wags »

NO NO NO.... that stuff will make your life hell as will gorrilla glue. They both expand. Even the ones that say "minimal expand" still do. Just use some E6000 on the inside edges, and re superglue the Mohawk back on. Not sure why the super glue hasent worked. Ive never had a probelm with it coming loose. BUT, you never know. :mrgreen:
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

Post by DeafTrooper »

yah, wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. didn't know how much it would expand. glad i asked first. :lol:

the super glue did work for about 6 months, but like i was saying, i have a tendency to pick up the helmet by the mohawk, so it started coming loose again. plus, the cats knocked it off my bookshelf. :roll2: i was even thinking about filling it with hot glue but wasn't too sure about that avenue either. i just wanted to have something in there to completely fill the space and reinforce it all. something strong, but light weight.
CT/ID-7859
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

Hot glue wouldn't adhere strongly enough. It's much more for "craft" purposes, less for anything requiring any reinforcement. When I first started out, I can't count anymore how many times my TK helmet would disintegrate during an event because the hot glue points kept coming undone.

I finally resorted to E6000, which turned out to be a godsend. The only places I use hot glue anymore are the helmet fans, lenses, mesh, or other non-critical areas. Hell, I even physically ripped out glued components in my old TK helmet to restock my TD helmet, which gives you a better idea of how not permanent an adhesive hot glue is! :)