Question about individual "troops"

General discussion forum open to all registered members.
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member
Legion ID: 82611

Question about individual "troops"

Post by Obi-Ron »

I put 'troop' in quotes only because I recently contacted my local Salvation Army to volunteer as a bell ringer in my armor. I sent them a photo of my newly approved TK armor, and they love the idea - so much so, that they asked my permission to speak with their public relations people, and there may even be media there. Wow. I honestly did not intend for this to happen - I was going to ring a bell in my armor for two hours, and turn in my donation bucket, and that was it. I'm actually a little embarrassed about the fuss they are making, as I thought this was not unusual for us to do this, and so many other people have been doing this a lot longer than I have.

Anyway, I want to know what the protocol is for this situation. On white armor, someone said that I can do this, of course, but I can not mention the 501st, since it's not an official event. What is the protocol here? Can I not mention the 501st and/or the GLG at all?

Thanks!
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
stasz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 60609

Re: Question about individual "troops"

Post by stasz »

Mainly, if there was not an official appearance request, this would not "count" towards your Tour of Duty (TOD) numbers. No biggie.

As far as the media, this is an excerpt from the Ops Protocol Survival Guide. I don't believe you would be prohibited from mentioning the Legion/Garrison because it's not an "official" event, but I defer to the Event Liaisons on that point.

You could also add it to the event forum yourself so other interested troopers could join you!

Interviews
When being interviewed by embers of the press, or independent media producers it is important to maintain the distinction between Lucas Film and the 501st Legion. While we are typically happy to grant interviews requests for interviews need to be evaluated to make sure that we will not be put into a situation where we may be requested to speak on topics not related to the 501st. Legion.

Lucas Film has requested that when conducting an interview we do so with "buckets off" to make a clear delineation between our membership and the characters we portray. For example it's appropriate for us to discuss specific charity involvement as a member but not appropriate for Darth Vader to say that "XYZ Foundation" is his favorite charity.

Interview Tips

Buckets off: Identify your self as a member of the 501st either by name or TK-ID.
Avoid controversial topics: No discussions of Religious or Political issues.
Promote the Legion is a favorable light.
Be Positive: Don't comment negatively on other Costuming Groups and Star Wars organizations.
We Build our own costumes: stress that our costumes are all fan made.
Talking Points

The Legion officially began in 1997.
We currently have over 10000 members.
The Legion currently occupies approximately 40 countries world wide.
The 501st Legion is a totally volunteer organization
How do I join: Visit www.501st.com
Discuss your Garrison troops and accomplishments.
Discuss your Detachment
Mention Kids and Fun.
We don't "get paid to troop" : Mention our charitable contributions and activities.
[image redacted by Resistance forces]
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Obi-Ron »

Excellent, thanks! Yes, I have been doing my homework (as a teacher, I value this), and if there is any coverage at all, I know to mention that the 501st is separate from Lucasfilm/Disney. I will also be sure to do any interviews with bucket off. Of course, I will await official word. I know my place in the Empire, and will follow the rules! :)
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Obi-Ron »

In case anyone was checking this, I wanted to post that no media was there at the bell ringing I did today. Actually kind of glad, since I was nervous about possibly saying the wrong thing. However, I had an absolute blast at the event! I know it was not an official troop, and to go through the proper channels next time to do something like this. The response was awesome - so many people taking pictures, and I know some people made donations when they normally may not have - that is what this is all about, and why I wanted to do it. At the end of my two hour shift, a guy said, "Best bell ringer ever," and proceeded to drop a $20 in the bucket.
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
Muppet-Trooper
Garrison Charity Rep
Garrison Charity Rep
Legion ID: 6778

Post by Muppet-Trooper »

Well done Ron. It’s a shame you didn’t post this on the event forums. We have done Salvation Army Red Kettle events previously. You could have got your first TOD for this event, and the donations received (for the time you trooped) would have been logged with the 501st as charity donations received. Maybe next year!
Derek Lane-Waters
“Muppet-Trooper”
TK/TS/TD/DZ/IC/ID/TI6778
GLG & GLB Charity Rep
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Obi-Ron »

For sure! I am already checking into how to be an EC? (event coordinator, is that correct?) for this next year. I know they got a lot of donations, and the bucket was so full about half way through, people had to jam their bills into the bucket... not mine :) I think my armor passed the test well enough, although I did notice one of the elastic straps around the shoulder bridge had come off.
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

Glad you had fun! :)
Jolly
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9549

Post by Jolly »

I remember at Dragon Con Atlanta, right before we trooped in the parade, I was asked
to hold a sign that was placed in front of me with some local yocal running for office. I refused to hold
it, but the guy kept trying to put it in front me. I walked away in haste.
This photographer was so persistent I'm glad I reacted silently to not create a distraction.
" . . . No, I'm not wearing a backpack. It's my lunchbox."