Need TK build advice

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
mjrose927
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 12037

Re: Need TK build advice

Post by mjrose927 »

@Riopcode. I understand your point that is how the armor was meant to be built. I must have a little bit of Popeye arms, beucase the forearms are really snug. When I put the forearms together back when i first got suit, i used velcro to put them together with spacers. They are still snug maybe because i am 15 pounds heavier. I just thought if I used the overlap method if it wouldn't look bad, I might get away with not using spacers on the forarms. Everything else i am pretty sure I am going to have to trim down.

I will try to put up some pictures later tonight to help clarify.
MIchael Rose TK-12037 Great Lakes Garrison
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bft9ai ... sp=sharing

"I keep telling them that we're the good guys. Only the good guys wear white."
mjrose927
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by mjrose927 »

I have been keeping a running build post on FISD for my kit build. After tonight I will have my biceps and forearms all glued up. Both biceps and forearms will need heat reshaping to get pieces to look and fit better. Perhaps there has been some plastic deformation over the last 8 years or so... ANYWAY.

I am ready to start working on the torso pieces. I think I may do the legs afterwards. What I am hoping for is to find someone local who has built their own TK kit to get help fitting the pieces right. I see all the pictures, but I would prefer to get some help from someone has working knowledge rather than a friend who is wide eyed I even have the kit.

I realize it is the time of the year where holidays are coming and kids' activities are all over the place, so I can be patient and accommodating to your schedule. If there are any other events or build parties, I would capitalize on those. I didn't come to the comic-con this weekend, because I was in my basement working on my armor to finish the arm pieces.

ALSO: If anyone has any good places that I could buy a sheets of white ABS that I can use for cover strips and armor joints, I would appreciate suggestions. I am not sure where to look. I plan to stop by Lowe's and a local hobby store in Waterford on way home tonight.

mjrose927
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by mjrose927 »

Ok. It has been a while, but I have set up a build station in my basement and been working for the last month. I am bound and determined to get something wearable by Motor City Comic Con in May. Then I am hoping to meet up with the garrison for suggestions and input on where I am at. here is a link to whitearmor.net. I posted this in old reply. I don't seem to be getting much traffic. Does anyone have any suggestions?

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/ ... ent-647756

mjrose927
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by mjrose927 »

I am ready to get my torso pieces fit and assembled. Here are some pictures of pieces on me. I am looking for the following:
1. Is the top of the ab plate supposed to align to top of the kidney plate?
2. I have seen some build videos where the back plate ends at the top of the kidney plate. Is this the case? If so, what do I need to do?
3. Item 2 kind of plays into next question, that the kidney plate looks tall? Is it sitting at correct height?
4. Where should the top of the butt plate rest with respect to my body? the bottom of my back? where top of typical pair of pants sit? It looks like it slipped down a little during picture taking in a couple shots.
5. Do i need to reshape the O II back plate? it seems to curve in at 45 degrees when it wraps around to front of body at bottom?
6. I feel like the front breast plate is obtuse or flat. Should I shape it to be more form fitting? Or should I wait to do any shaping until after I have it together.

The Snake
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 87666

Post by The Snake »

1. Yeah, more or less. When doing fitting you're going to want to tape those together on the side for the correct fitting.
2. Usually it kind of sits on top but overlaps in the corners in some cases. I've never seen a back plate that's shaped like yours, though. So it's difficult to make any recommendation.
3. Kidney plate height should be fine.
4. Typically your butt plate is going to end up floating above and "around" the kidney plate. This will get covered by your belt. Just make sure crotch lines up and don't worry about making sure the butt "locks in" perfectly with the kidney.

Do you have a build thread going at whitearmor.net? You'll be able to get damn near real-time advice and critique from the best of the best there, as well as follow others who have built the same kit as you.

EDIT: My bad, I just saw your previous post. Not sure why you're not getting a response. You could always switch to working on another part while you wait for someone to comment.
Dirty Rotten Imperial Punk | TK-87666
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
mjrose927
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by mjrose927 »

The Snake wrote:1. Yeah, more or less. When doing fitting you're going to want to tape those together on the side for the correct fitting.
2. Usually it kind of sits on top but overlaps in the corners in some cases. I've never seen a back plate that's shaped like yours, though. So it's difficult to make any recommendation.
3. Kidney plate height should be fine.
4. Typically your butt plate is going to end up floating above and "around" the kidney plate. This will get covered by your belt. Just make sure crotch lines up and don't worry about making sure the butt "locks in" perfectly with the kidney.

Do you have a build thread going at whitearmor.net? You'll be able to get damn near real-time advice and critique from the best of the best there, as well as follow others who have built the same kit as you.

EDIT: My bad, I just saw your previous post. Not sure why you're not getting a response. You could always switch to working on another part while you wait for someone to comment.
I do have a thread at whitearmor.net. I thought the same thing about responses, but have gotten none. Here is link.
https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/ ... ildyes-fx/

ShermiesRule
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 76239

Post by ShermiesRule »

You mentioned Clawson in the whitearmor post. Are you in that areas? There are a crouple TK troopers in that area.

I have some pictures but cannot post them here since the photo bucket fiasco. Contact me on Facebook Al Tong
Alan Tong 76239
Imperial Officer, Staff
Stormtrooper, ANH Stunt
Stormtrooper, Heavy Weapons Trooper
Imperial Navy Trooper
TIE Pilot, Reserve

Like my Facebook- Alan Tk-76239
The Snake
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by The Snake »

ShermiesRule wrote:You mentioned Clawson in the whitearmor post. Are you in that areas? There are a crouple TK troopers in that area.

I have some pictures but cannot post them here since the photo bucket fiasco. Contact me on Facebook Al Tong
www.imgur.com
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

Post by DeafTrooper »

ShermiesRule wrote:
There is a cheat for that. After the URL, type "~original".
CT/ID-7859
mjrose927
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by mjrose927 »

ShermiesRule wrote:You mentioned Clawson in the whitearmor post. Are you in that areas? There are a crouple TK troopers in that area.

Yes, I live in Farmington, MI. I moved recently from Waterford. I now have a workbench setup in my basement and armor pieces spread out everywhere.

mjrose927
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by mjrose927 »

i started a new thread on whitearmor.com. Apparently, my old thread was not readily viewable to general public. I am just really wanting to get something wearable by Motor City Comic Con. I am ok getting to point of wearable without bucket. That is goal. I know FX bucket is not submittable anyway.

ShermiesRule
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 76239

Post by ShermiesRule »

I can help with some general stuff. Never worked or seen an FX kit but I'm sure we can figure out the final look
Alan Tong 76239
Imperial Officer, Staff
Stormtrooper, ANH Stunt
Stormtrooper, Heavy Weapons Trooper
Imperial Navy Trooper
TIE Pilot, Reserve

Like my Facebook- Alan Tk-76239
The Snake
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by The Snake »

I dug up a photo from when I was at the same point as you. Here's the side view of what my armor looked like before cutting an angle on the butt plate, and putting everything together for approval.
Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 7.53.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 7.53.19 AM.png (1.6 MiB) Viewed 20083 times
I'm not familiar with FX but it seems kind of oddly shaped. You may be able to get creative and slice it up to look a little closer to this, however.
mjrose927
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by mjrose927 »

The Snake wrote:I dug up a photo from when I was at the same point as you. Here's the side view of what my armor looked like before cutting an angle on the butt plate, and putting everything together for approval.
Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 7.53.19 AM.png
I'm not familiar with FX but it seems kind of oddly shaped. You may be able to get creative and slice it up to look a little closer to this, however.
Are you stating that you do not have the butt plate vertical that you rotated it and then cut it at an angle to square it up with the ab plate in the new position? Fitting this is sometime difficult by yourself. I will go back to forums for screenshots of butt plate to see if I can make mine fit better.

The Snake
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by The Snake »

mjrose927 wrote:
The Snake wrote:I dug up a photo from when I was at the same point as you. Here's the side view of what my armor looked like before cutting an angle on the butt plate, and putting everything together for approval.
Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 11.22.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 11.22.54 AM.png (541.69 KiB) Viewed 20074 times
Are you stating that you do not have the butt plate vertical that you rotated it and then cut it at an angle to square it up with the ab plate in the new position? Fitting this is sometime difficult by yourself. I will go back to forums for screenshots of butt plate to see if I can make mine fit better.
No, I mean I just cut a notch in the corner in it. I should have shown you one of these shots instead. The attached photo is from my approval photoshoot.
Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 11.22.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 11.22.54 AM.png (541.69 KiB) Viewed 20074 times
If you can get your stuff looking like this, you should have no issue getting approved :thumbs:
mjrose927
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by mjrose927 »

Thanks for the additional clarification. It looks like my FX kit already has that corner removed. I appreciate the input from everyone.

PLEASE, if anyone is having any building parties or if anyone is planning a working day on theirs in the Metro-Detroit area, let me know. It would be nice to talk through things with others.

Michael

mjrose927
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by mjrose927 »

Ok. I’m back in basement today. Should have shin pieces assembled by end of weekend. I’ll add pics of progress later when log into computer. Posting from phone now. I definitely like the cover strip method over the FX over lap method. Cover strips only FX are Loki g good on my FX kit. I’m glad I took time to go this route. Thanks to trooperbay more abs is showing up By Tuesday so I can get thighs done with cover strips as well. I got a lead on belt I want. I just need to figure out fit for torso. I’m trying to find an extra set of hands and eyes to help.

mjrose927
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by mjrose927 »

I want to give a special shout out to Al Tong who gave up part of his Sunday afternoon to help me with some sizing and plethora of questions. Here is a link to whitearmor.net where I have posted my latest updates and questions....

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/ ... ent-648266