Star Wars: The Force Awakens Captain Phasma design and build

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Phantom Medic

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Captain Phasma design and build

Post by Phantom Medic »

Hey guys, changing my plan of doing a Novatrooper Medic. Got back a few hours ago from watching the latest Star Wars movie. AWESOME!!! But I want to build a new costume from the movie. Captain Phasma (below)

https://www.google.com/search?q=captain ... EQ_AUIBygB
((Couldn't get image to work...first world problems))

But thing is...no ones done her as far as I can tell. And I can't get anymore ref pics besides her top half in the front. But it looks a lot like the standard First Order Trooper

http://databank.501st.com/databank/TK_-_First_Order

Pretty much the same thing but shiny and with a leather cape. But I don't know how to approach this. Any ideas on this one?
When I'm through with that Jedi, he's gonna need a Medic
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Captain Phasma design and build

Post by DeafTrooper »

Actually, there are many differences between the regular troopers and Phasma.
CT/ID-7859
Phantom Medic

Post by Phantom Medic »

So what are the differences? I want to build her as accurate as I can but I can't get many ref pics of a full body shot. And no legion member built her yet and there is no ref docs. I'm literally flying blind with this build.
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

Who is Captain Phantasm?
Phantom Medic

Post by Phantom Medic »

The silver stormtrooper from the force awakens...

(To the left of Kyle run)

She's the first female stormtrooper. Granted she didn't get much screen time in the movie but it was enough to inspire me to build her.
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Post by Mr Fett »

Phantom Medic wrote:So what are the differences? I want to build her as accurate as I can but I can't get many ref pics of a full body shot. And no legion member built her yet and there is no ref docs. I'm literally flying blind with this build.
A lady from one of the California Garrisons already has one that she wore to the red carpet movie premiere. There are pics of her floating around that I've seen. There's also lots of pics I've seen floating around the internet of the screen used full costume on display at some convention or exhibit that it was set up at.
Flash
Garrison Advisor
Garrison Advisor
Legion ID: 5156

Post by Flash »

The codpiece, fingers, shins, spats, boots and bucket are all different than the TFA Stormtrooper. I think I may be missing something else.

Even accurate TFA Stormtrooper armor is difficult to obtain at the moment.
Mike Lica - 5156
I like Star Wars
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

Phantom Medic wrote:The silver stormtrooper from the force awakens...
Not familiar with him.
Phantom Medic

Post by Phantom Medic »

Flash wrote:The codpiece, fingers, shins, spats, boots and bucket are all different than the TFA Stormtrooper. I think I may be missing something else.

Can you post me a link to her thread. Or give me her I.D number so I can contact her?
Ripcode wrote:
Phantom Medic wrote:The silver stormtrooper from the force awakens...
Not familiar with him.
No they never said her name in the movie. In fact I had to go digging around to find her name. But she was the one in charge of the attacking forces at the beginning of the movie.
Flash wrote:The codpiece, fingers, shins, spats, boots and bucket are all different than the TFA Stormtrooper. I think I may be missing something else.

Thanks! I know the helmet was the most obvious, with the lines running from the visor to the back of her helmet. But thanks for the other parts.
Phantom Medic

Post by Phantom Medic »

Okay found a good forum to build with

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/3 ... sma-build/

It's amazing and also I found someone who is making a kit for Phasma

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=246263&page=13
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Post by Mr Fett »

Phantom Medic wrote:
Can you post me a link to her thread. Or give me her I.D number so I can contact her?
Don't know her name. Just heard she's from one of the Garrisons out in CA where they did the Hollywood premiere. She likely is mentioned on the whitearmor.net board. Do a search for Phasma on both that board AND on the RPF....both of the links you posted. You will find a lot of Phasma info from parts people have been working on already if you use the search engine.
GingerSnap

Post by GingerSnap »

Mr Fett wrote:
Phantom Medic wrote:
Don't know her name. Just heard she's from one of the Garrisons out in CA where they did the Hollywood premiere. She likely is mentioned on the whitearmor.net board. Do a search for Phasma on both that board AND on the RPF....both of the links you posted. You will find a lot of Phasma info from parts people have been working on already if you use the search engine.
The phasma from the premier has a build thread on the FISD forums.
Muppet-Trooper
Garrison Charity Rep
Garrison Charity Rep
Legion ID: 6778

Post by Muppet-Trooper »

GingerSnap wrote: The phasma from the premier has a build thread on the FISD forums.
Lauren, maybe you could help them, as it appears you have already been looking into it and considered doing a Captain Phasma build, from this previous thread.
GingerSnap wrote:I'm researching captain phasma I'm highly considering it. I've been asking around with different legion members.
http://www.greatlakesgarrison.com/forum ... 85&t=14565
Derek Lane-Waters
“Muppet-Trooper”
TK/TS/TD/DZ/IC/ID/TI6778
GLG & GLB Charity Rep
devilmaan
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 92912

Post by devilmaan »

Todd Murray TK92912, TD92912, SL92912
Phantom Medic

Post by Phantom Medic »

That is the thread I was looking for!!! THANKS!!! That was a the Captain Phasma from the red carpet premier in Hollywood! Wow...lots of cromeing in my future...and scavenging. But this will make all the sleepless nights in my future worth it. I'm going to start working after my birthday (feb 5) so that way I have 3 years exactly till my dead line (my 18th birthday). Better get started on finding a job to finance this...ugh.
GingerSnap

Post by GingerSnap »

Muppet-Trooper wrote:
GingerSnap wrote: The phasma from the premier has a build thread on the FISD forums.
Lauren, maybe you could help them, as it appears you have already been looking into it and considered doing a Captain Phasma build, from this previous thread.
GingerSnap wrote:I'm researching captain phasma I'm highly considering it. I've been asking around with different legion members.
http://www.greatlakesgarrison.com/forum ... 85&t=14565
Just saw this looks like someone beat me to posting lol I have some research I've been doing when I get to a computer I can post what I've found and information I gathered talking to people working on her.
Phantom Medic

Post by Phantom Medic »

Someone beat Gingersnap to posting? Inconceivable. Lol just kidding around guys.
GingerSnap

Post by GingerSnap »

Phantom Medic wrote:Someone beat Gingersnap to posting? Inconceivable. Lol just kidding around guys.
Well I was at Ohayocon all weekend so I haven't been on the forums lol
Phantom Medic

Post by Phantom Medic »

Okay first off I need to scale the design. Ahh, math...I HATE IT! But I have to do it *sigh* so let's get this over with.

Alright so according to the Star Wars Wiki (the holy grail for lore) captain Phasma stands at 2 meters, but being American means I have to convert it. That gave me a height of 6'5 feet. But then again it was googles measurement... So I'm 5'2 and I need to scale it down to that. Might I say tho...man that girl is tall!

So assuming she has a mesomorph body shape, her legs should be 3 feet...maybe (I'm doing this all in my head) so feet at 6 inches, shins are 2.2 feet and the thighs are 2.2 as well. The cod should be 6 inches. Ab plate 1 foot to be overlapped by the chest. Chest should be 1'6 feet tall and 1 foot wide. Shoulders should be 4 inches. Same as the upper arm plates. Forearms should be 6-8 inches. Hand plates 2 inches (hand is 4 inches). Head should be 8-12 inches tall. Cape should be 5 inches so it's just above the flore and I'm not tripping over it.

Well...that about covers it. I think. Did I miss something? Anyway does that sound right guys for a female 5'2 foot mesomorph body type?
Zark
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 15255

Post by Zark »

You have a lot of time before you can even join the 501st.

I am glad you are so gung-ho about building but by the time you finish a build you will have to mod lot of parts because you will have out grown them

Example, since joining Rebel Legion, I have had to modify my jedi costume multiple times do to weight fluctuations. You are never just done with a costume.
Last edited by Zark on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.