Mike's Vader Build Thread - APPROVED - SL4014!

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Mike's Vader Build Thread - APPROVED - SL4014!

Post by Wags »

Some more progress on Vader:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z9/t ... G_1386.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z9/t ... G_1382.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z9/t ... G_1388.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z9/t ... G_1407.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z9/t ... G_1404.jpg

We still have some work to do, but getting there. The belt is sitting low but just have to make some minor adjustments and tighten it up a bit. I think I like the sleevless Vader myself!!!
Last edited by Wags on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2280

Re: Looking for Trooper Buddies

Post by Kal »

Is that the Rubies Vader helmet??? Is that the one you are going to use??
If it is the one you are going to use you will need to mod the hell out of it. The Rubies Vader "as is" is not a ROTS mold as they say it is. The Rubies is a cast taken from a very high numbered/warped Don Post ESB Vader mask.

Or are you going with the MR ROTS vader? The ony ROTS mask out there is the MR or some guy that has been selling a recast of the MR. The Portumac is close but the dome is a ROTJ and the face is also close to the ROTJ. But atleast it has the neck the right way.

If you need some sites I have a few saved that show how you have to rebuild the face on the rubies so that it is symetrical.

Oh..and the belt is a ESB style belt. The ROTS looks more like a ANH belt. I am not trying to be picky. Just that The guy who aproves all Sith Lords is very tuff on Vaders since they are what the fans look at the most.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Kal Skirata- DONE -501st Legions 1st ever Approved
Jango Fett - 40%
Wags

Post by Wags »

Ummm wow... Ok, where to start.... Yes this is the helmet we are going to use. PLEASE PLEASE send me the links for the mods. I will gladly do the work, time and effort to get it looking right. I have enough modeling skills I think that I can make it look great!!!! Also Im not to shaby of a painter. :wink:

Second, I got the belt because it is exactly the same one from the visual dicionary. Also I still framed ROTS and it is, from what I can see, and I am by no means a Vader expert :wink: , the same set up as far as the lights go. Again, definatly not ????ing your knowledge, just my power of observation!! (which isnt usually to good lol) So that being said, I am willing to take all knowledge that you are willing to offer to me. I am a most diligent worker so please give me direction and I will make the Sith Lord Proud!!!!!!

Thanks for the help in advance. Ohhh, what do you think of the undersuit? We have been working on it for about a week or so and Mike finished the sleeves tonight and he just has to sew them on. We are going to go get the fabric for the cape and under tunic on Tues. What do you suggest? From what Ive been reading the cape needs to be lined with silk or something with the likes. Anything in particular?

Again, Thank you very much for you direction!!!!
Last edited by Wags on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

For the helmet Mod site. It has been taken down. The guy was SL7768 a 501st member. You may want to ask him if he still has his site or renamed it.

As for the belt. To me it looks like from your pic that the section under the green lens is a Hose that has been cut in half. if that part looks anything like a hose then it is not right. The ROTS is just a flat metal mesh like in ANH. The hose thing is ESB & ROTJ.

It may just be the pics. But it does not look like a flat mesh screen on the belt box.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Post by Terrell78 »

Here is a great mod guide. A bit more involved than most but still excellent.
http://thepropden.aokforums.com/modific ... vt346.html

PS Should this Vader build discussion be split into its own thread?
Wags

Re: Mike's Vader Build Thread

Post by Wags »

Yes, your are right. It is the hose, but that should be easy enough to fix. I'll log onto the site that Terrell posted and see whats needed. Again Thank you guys for the help!!!!!
Yoda Jenkins
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 4014

Post by Yoda Jenkins »

Are you sure that I can't rock out the outfit without sleeves? Something like "Hey ladies, I see that you've bought tickets to the MCCC. Those are great, but would you like 2 tickets to the Darth Vader Gun Show instead? Don't worry... the safety is still on..." :D

Anyway, you are correct about the belt. It does have the hose thing instead of the wire mesh. I can easily modify that to be ROTS.

Also, that is indeed the helmet I plan to use. I'd love to get the MR, but I can't afford it. I'll pick it up as soon as the Mega Millions finally pays off, until then... We haven't begun to make any modifications on it yet. Thanks for the guide - it should help a lot.

Here's a question, since the helmet was produced from a ESB mask (I didn't know that), would it be easier to modify the mask to an ESB Vader? I'm partial to Vader, but not to any one version. I don't have any of the other parts of the Vader outfit other than what you see in the picture, and since the belt is already ESB/ROTJ I wonder if it would be easier to go with that style of Vader.

Thanks to all of you for your help (both now and in the future)!
Y.J.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I updated the first post with pics from the other thread. :thumbs:
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

Yoda Jenkins wrote:Are you sure that I can't rock out the outfit without sleeves? Something like "Hey ladies, I see that you've bought tickets to the MCCC. Those are great, but would you like 2 tickets to the Darth Vader Gun Show instead? Don't worry... the safety is still on..." :D

Anyway, you are correct about the belt. It does have the hose thing instead of the wire mesh. I can easily modify that to be ROTS.

Also, that is indeed the helmet I plan to use. I'd love to get the MR, but I can't afford it. I'll pick it up as soon as the Mega Millions finally pays off, until then... We haven't begun to make any modifications on it yet. Thanks for the guide - it should help a lot.

Here's a question, since the helmet was produced from a ESB mask (I didn't know that), would it be easier to modify the mask to an ESB Vader? I'm partial to Vader, but not to any one version. I don't have any of the other parts of the Vader outfit other than what you see in the picture, and since the belt is already ESB/ROTJ I wonder if it would be easier to go with that style of Vader.

Thanks to all of you for your help (both now and in the future)!

Yes to make the mask more ESB looking would be much more easy to do. To make it ROTS you need to almost resculpt and build up the face so that it is symetrical like the ROTS is. The mask can be make to look like one hell of a good ESB vader. I have a very good link to make it ESB that I will post when I get home.
The only prob then would be if you got the ROTS armor. since that is not like any of the OT film Vaders.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Wags

Post by Wags »

Ok per the request of Mike(aka Yoda Jenkins), since he doesent have a digital camera, Im posting his progress pics for him. We finished the shirt tonight so we figured, what the heck, lets try on what gear he has.

Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

Did Mike make the back of the top out of mesh or something breathable?

Looks like Mike and Anton have some great sewing skills! Those will come in VERY handy! :thumbs:
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

what kind of glove is that???
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Yoda Jenkins
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Yoda Jenkins »

I made the front of the shirt "Vaderesque", but the back is a real light cotton. I knew that I was going to have some trouble making the neckline so I bought an $8 turtleneck from K-Mart to build the material on. I thought that a turtleneck might work in lieu of any other headgear (the helmet is hot enough already!). Unfortunately, you can still see up the back though. Maybe that'll change once I reshape the helmet... we'll see.

The gloves are the Rubies. I take it that they're not up to snuff?

Y.J.
Y.J.
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Ripcode »

Yoda Jenkins wrote:The gloves are the Rubies. I take it that they're not up to snuff?
Unmodified Rubies Vader gear is NOT 501st acceptable. Sith Lord standards are VERY high!
Kal
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Kal »

poh.
Yoda Jenkins wrote:I made the front of the shirt "Vaderesque", but the back is a real light cotton. I knew that I was going to have some trouble making the neckline so I bought an $8 turtleneck from K-Mart to build the material on. I thought that a turtleneck might work in lieu of any other headgear (the helmet is hot enough already!). Unfortunately, you can still see up the back though. Maybe that'll change once I reshape the helmet... we'll see.

The gloves are the Rubies. I take it that they're not up to snuff?

Y.J.

Nope. If you were going ROTS they do ot have any thing close to style of glove.
ROTS glove needs to look like this

This would be the ESB/ROTJ style glove.

Not trying to be picky. I am just saying after the GLG GML says yes, he has to send it to the guy who aproves all EU and Sith Lord costumes. That guy knows his stuff, but will nit pick over everything.
COTF Darth Nihilus-Done
Jango Fett - 40%
Yoda Jenkins
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Yoda Jenkins »

Don't worry about nitpicking - I appreciate the help! These are the things I need to know before I send in my finished product.

Is it true that no Rubies items are good enough for the 501st? There’s a set of shin armor up for sale on ebay that seems pretty good. I'll also take a look at some gloves while I’m picking around there to replace the Rubies set I have (they are a bit thin anyway).

As always thanks for your input GLG members!

Y.J.
Y.J.
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Ripcode »

Yoda Jenkins wrote:Is it true that no Rubies items are good enough for the 501st?
Correct.

However, a modified and repainted Vader helmet (to be more accurate) and modified and re-painted armor would more likely be accepted.

Straight out of the box Rubies Vader gear is a NO-GO.
shawnpane
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by shawnpane »

To be honest,
The rubbies shins might make it through o.k.
That would probably be the only part off the shelf,But double check just to be sure.
But,are the shins long enough? How tall are you?
"I'D do almost anything for A peek under that
helmet"..."almost anything."
"not today...I'm here on buisness."
J.F.
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Ripcode »

shawnpane wrote:To be honest,
The rubbies shins might make it through o.k.
That would probably be the only part off the shelf,But double check just to be sure.
But,are the shins long enough? How tall are you?
Hey Shawn! :)

I was wondering when you would get here and check in and help out in this thread!
shawnpane
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by shawnpane »

Ha Ha HELLO! In my best sulu voice! :mrgreen:
Because of all the drama around here as of late,I have been laying low.
"I'D do almost anything for A peek under that
helmet"..."almost anything."
"not today...I'm here on buisness."
J.F.