Issue with warping of plastic

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
buckethead523

Issue with warping of plastic

Post by buckethead523 »

Hi All,

So I got my kit Saturday and went through everything and all was good till I got to the face plate of the helmet. Ive attached the image for you guys to look at. The plastic is in a wave and I'm afraid if I trim it then ill ruin the eye its self. I already contacted the seller and am awaiting a response to see if he will let me return the face plate for a new one. Any advice on what I should do? Has this ever happened to any of you?
Attachments
IMG_0508.JPG
IMG_0508.JPG (82.76 KiB) Viewed 15161 times
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Re: Issue with warping of plastic

Post by Mr Fett »

That eye is supposed to look like that. It's actually accurate to the original ANH movie to have the right eye wobbly looking on the lower part for the stunt helmet style. Some have more of a wobbly eye than others. Not all are as pronounced as yours. It's not broken or needing returned. If anything, to make it smaller, you can just by shaving down where the hump is.
Flash
Garrison Advisor
Garrison Advisor
Legion ID: 5156

Post by Flash »

Yes as Mr. Fett said, that is screen accurate.
Mike Lica - 5156
I like Star Wars
Flash
Garrison Advisor
Garrison Advisor
Legion ID: 5156

Post by Flash »

Mike Lica - 5156
I like Star Wars
buckethead523

Post by buckethead523 »

Thanks guys, Ive seen the movies aleast a few hundred times and never noticed the difference, thanks for putting my mind at ease.
buckethead523

Post by buckethead523 »

Ugh so i found out via white armor that the kit i bought is basically crap :-( its supposedly an fx armor type and would require heavy modification to be accepted. Ugh so frustrated right now, should I return it since its no good for trooping?
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

Did you do your research on armor before or after you bought the armor?
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

Post by DeafTrooper »

And that's why we tell people to never buy off of Ebay.
CT/ID-7859
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop

Post by Mr Fett »

I mentioned it to you that it was an FX body (or recast of such) with a better helmet on your welcome thread, when you showed us the link of the armor you purchased. We do have a number of members using that armor right now. That's why I said replacing the plastic rear of the belt that comes with the kit with an actual canvas belt (which I linked you where to buy) was one thing needed. The rest is still useable as is. Just get together with some of the other TK's in your area (Like the ones who replied to your thread) and they can show you what to do to assemble the FX armor with bits of increasing the accuracy to is as you go. This is how you can "save" your armor without going through the hassle of returning it, if you didn't choose to.
buckethead523

Post by buckethead523 »

I did some research on armor, but it got so murky since no one can out right say "go here to get it" that I just made a rash decision. Mr. Fett I did follow your links and will go ahead and make the changes to make it more screen accurate. Reading that thread on white armor just kinda flipped me out with how everyone was saying it looks bad and I got a little pissed at the time because I thought I wasted my money. Anyways the project is still on....
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop

Post by Mr Fett »

The helmet is what they’d call a “movie style helmet”, which is an upgrade to what the original FX helmet was, anyway. The body armor is fine. Yes, it’s less accurate in ways than the “movie style armor”, but it’s still widely used across the 501st. There are a variety to tweaks you can do to it to make the accuracy level go up more….things like installing all the knee plates and shoulder straps and so forth to the Centurion level of the CRL, etc. Just minor things you do as you’re assembling the kit. The local TK’s can show this to you. No worries!
devilmaan
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 92912

Post by devilmaan »

Hey Rob! if you have any questions or need help, shoot me a PM.. There is SOO much information on the FISD site that it can be daunting.

Todd Murray TK92912, TD92912, SL92912
BikerScoutDawn
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 40795

Post by BikerScoutDawn »

I have been very happy with my SC kit- very happy. Actually even took it to a friend to have him help me with parts of it and he was impressed with the quality of the product. If you end up looking into a new kit I would suggest SC
TB 40795