Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus AOTC

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Tor Johaair
Tra'cor Clan Member
Tra'cor Clan Member

Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus AOTC

Post by Tor Johaair »

So, after discussion with several people, I have decided I am going to start working on an AoTC Dooku/Tyranus.

Looking at the CRLs it says a lightsaber is required except where local laws apply. I am not aware of any laws in Michigan that say I can't have a lightsaber, so it appears one is required.

For approval, may I just build a hilt without a blade, and then save up for a quality blade I can duel with?

Who would you suggest I go to for a quality blade that would have lights and sounds that will stand up to light dueling?

If I want to DIY my saber, how hard is it to work with the electronics?

Thanks!
Cory "Tor Johaa'ir" J.
Tra'cor Clan, MMCC#2191
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

Re: Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus AOTC

Post by DeafTrooper »

Actually, weapons are not a requirement. But if you want one, I'm sure you could just do the hilt.
CT/ID-7859
stasz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 60609

Post by stasz »

DeafTrooper wrote:Actually, weapons are not a requirement. But if you want one, I'm sure you could just do the hilt.
Interestingly, in the CRL the saber isn't listed under an "optional" section as weapons typically are, like you mentioned.

I can check with the Sith Lord Detachment for clarification, but by the written text of the CRL as it stands, a saber is required.
[image redacted by Resistance forces]
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

Post by DeafTrooper »

That's kind of odd, given the Legion stance that weapons are not required for costumes.
CT/ID-7859
Tor Johaair
Tra'cor Clan Member
Tra'cor Clan Member

Post by Tor Johaair »

Yeah, I had been told by others that the saber was optional, but when I read the CRLs it showed up in black text, meaning required. So, I just assumed it was.

I would appreciate it if you could check, Stasz. Or, if you want to direct me to who I should check with that would be great too.

Thanks!
Cory "Tor Johaa'ir" J.
Tra'cor Clan, MMCC#2191
stasz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 60609

Post by stasz »

Tor Johaair wrote:Yeah, I had been told by others that the saber was optional, but when I read the CRLs it showed up in black text, meaning required. So, I just assumed it was.

I would appreciate it if you could check, Stasz. Or, if you want to direct me to who I should check with that would be great too.

Thanks!
As Joe mentioned, the Legion weapons policy states that weapons are NOT required. Mainly due to varying regulations around the world when it comes to replica firearms, etc.

I'm not sure why those CRLs are presented the way that they are, but you should be fine to submit for approval without a saber. If/when you do get one though, please send us pics.
[image redacted by Resistance forces]
Tor Johaair
Tra'cor Clan Member
Tra'cor Clan Member

Post by Tor Johaair »

Thanks, stasz! I will certainly post up some pics once I get to work.
Cory "Tor Johaa'ir" J.
Tra'cor Clan, MMCC#2191
Romuloidus
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 32197

Post by Romuloidus »

Highly, HIGHLY, recommend picking up this for your Dooku lightsaber: https://www.thepachstore.com/products/u ... 2537439174

I own one myself, mostly because I love curved sabers, but it is seriously one of the best sabers of the illustrious Count available. It's 1.1 scale to the original prop, made from aluminum and stainless steel. Their fully installed version is a pretty great value considering it has a soundboard capable of holding 6 sound fonts, RGB coloring, and a decent speaker. They also offer empty version to have your own install done. It takes 7/8" blades (I'd get one from Vaders Vault). Dueling wise, they rated it for light to medium dueling, I believe.

All of the swing sensitivities, clash sensitivities, basically most everything can be altered on their full install versions. It's a great investment for troops and will compliment your costume well! They do runs of it fairly often, so if you don't want the ones they are currently selling that have minor machining flaws or an empty, you won't have to wait long.

Enjoy the attached video of mine in action! It's a bit dimmer than normal due to being on a low charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88e2NErtqEg

Self installs in this saber may be a bit hard if you're a beginner, but there are some excellent resources available. A Facebook group known as The Vault is one of them. It's host to a lot of the saber communities installers who are always willing to help. Give it a look sometime:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1553748611608080/
TR-32197
Long live the Emperor!
Tor Johaair
Tra'cor Clan Member
Tra'cor Clan Member

Post by Tor Johaair »

Thanks! I will take a look.
Cory "Tor Johaa'ir" J.
Tra'cor Clan, MMCC#2191
Tor Johaair
Tra'cor Clan Member
Tra'cor Clan Member

Post by Tor Johaair »

Are either of these boots appropriate and approvable for AOTC Dooku?

Anyone ever used either vendor?

http://www.sovietboots.com/home/10-sovi ... 501st.html

https://www.sovietmilitarystuff.com/sov ... boots.html

Thanks!
Cory "Tor Johaa'ir" J.
Tra'cor Clan, MMCC#2191