Aren't you a little tall for a Stormtrooper?

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Jeff Johnson

Aren't you a little tall for a Stormtrooper?

Post by Jeff Johnson »

I've been in touch with RS Prop Master's about buying a ESB Stormtrooper armor kit. Not sure if I'm going to build it or have it custom built. Anyways, I asked them about the armor fitting me since I'm 6'-2" and have long arms. They responded that the typical Stormtrooper armor is built for someone at 5'-9" and wouldn't recommend buying it over 6'-2" due to gaps. I've wanted to get a Stormtrooper armor kit for a long time and my end goal would be to be able to join the 501st with it too. I'm just worried that I drop $1500+ and the armor doesn't fit quite right and that it keeps me out of joining the 501st as a Stormtrooper. Has anyone else run into this issue? It seems that my second choice, Death Trooper, may run a little taller, but I'd really like to stick with a ESB Stormtrooper. Thanks!
Skykat
Garrison Event Liaison
Garrison Event Liaison
Legion ID: 48169

Re: Aren't you a little tall for a Stormtrooper?

Post by Skykat »

I know we have a couple of Stormtroopers that are quite tall and are over 6 foot. I don't have a stormtrooper and I'm short so I don't have a lot of input for you. Have you gone over to whitearmor.net? That is the detachment forums for stormtroopers. They will have a lot of resources for you for getting armor that fits you, and how to modify things to fit you.
creepygoth666

Post by creepygoth666 »

I've seen similar questions asked on Walt's Trooper Factory on Facebook - where they've used shims/extra or scrap ABS plastic to add to the armor pieces and make them larger and/or longer. Could be something to look into!
Uses any pronouns
Jeff Johnson

Post by Jeff Johnson »

Thanks for your reply. I'm finding in my research that shimming them to fit taller people is a possibility, so I think there still is hope. Lol.

creepygoth666 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:04 pm I've seen similar questions asked on Walt's Trooper Factory on Facebook - where they've used shims/extra or scrap ABS plastic to add to the armor pieces and make them larger and/or longer. Could be something to look into!
Jeff Johnson

Post by Jeff Johnson »

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I have whitearmor.net bookmarked on my browser. :D It seems that fitting taller Stormtroopers is definitely doable. Just deciding if I want to do the build or pay someone to do it AND have it pass 501st regulations is where I'm at.

Skykat wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:03 am I know we have a couple of Stormtroopers that are quite tall and are over 6 foot. I don't have a stormtrooper and I'm short so I don't have a lot of input for you. Have you gone over to whitearmor.net? That is the detachment forums for stormtroopers. They will have a lot of resources for you for getting armor that fits you, and how to modify things to fit you.
Mayhem75
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 62946

Post by Mayhem75 »

I am 6' 2" and most would say I am a bit larger than the average TK of 1977

My armor kit is from RT MOD

Not sure if this kit is still out there but it was made for larger troopers in mind
MAYHEM
Micheal May
TK/TS/TA-62946
Jeff Johnson

Post by Jeff Johnson »

Just as an update, I decided on ordering a ANH Stunt Stormtrooper commission build from TM Props and he's supposed to start building it in a couple of weeks! We had a lot of correspondence about my height and the fact that I ultimately want to be able to join the 501st, so the build would need to fit 501st regulations. He said he's done many commissions for both tall people and also those who wanted to join their local 501st. Needless to say, I'm excited!
Skykat
Garrison Event Liaison
Garrison Event Liaison
Legion ID: 48169

Post by Skykat »

Jeff Johnson wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:04 am Just as an update, I decided on ordering a ANH Stunt Stormtrooper commission build from TM Props and he's supposed to start building it in a couple of weeks! We had a lot of correspondence about my height and the fact that I ultimately want to be able to join the 501st, so the build would need to fit 501st regulations. He said he's done many commissions for both tall people and also those who wanted to join their local 501st. Needless to say, I'm excited!

Good luck! I'm not familiar with that builder. Go ahead and go over to the FISD detachment, and good luck and I can't wait for you to join!
Kubota1
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 80764

Post by Kubota1 »

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the armor. At 6’6” 380lbs I feel your pain! I was just accepted into the group as a SnowTrooper…a little easier to accommodate the size, but still looks a bit tiny on me…is what it is man. If you need any help let me know. I’m currently fabricating several different suits of armor to accommodate us bigger guys…a process incorporating 3D custom printed armor pieces, followed by hard castings, followed by vacuum forming…it’s a long process…but like you I want any future armors to look proportional to my linebacker size! Ttyl
Jeff Johnson

Post by Jeff Johnson »

Congratulations on your acceptance into the group as a Snow Trooper! If you need another uniform to wear, I'm sure the Detroit Lions would love to have you join. :lol: Thanks for offering help if I need any...I'll remember that. I'm 6'3, 215lbs, but for Stormtroopers, the research I've done had an "ideal" height of 5'-8" to 6'-0". So, I was really worried that a custom build wouldn't fit me well. That's awesome that you are fabricating armor for bigger guys! Once I get my kit all together and hopefully get it 501st approved, maybe we'll run into each other at a trooping event. :)
Jeff Johnson

Post by Jeff Johnson »

Kubota1 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:52 pm Looking forward to seeing your progress on the armor. At 6’6” 380lbs I feel your pain! I was just accepted into the group as a SnowTrooper…a little easier to accommodate the size, but still looks a bit tiny on me…is what it is man. If you need any help let me know. I’m currently fabricating several different suits of armor to accommodate us bigger guys…a process incorporating 3D custom printed armor pieces, followed by hard castings, followed by vacuum forming…it’s a long process…but like you I want any future armors to look proportional to my linebacker size! Ttyl
Congratulations on your acceptance into the group as a Snow Trooper! If you need another uniform to wear, I'm sure the Detroit Lions would love to have you join. :lol: Thanks for offering help if I need any...I'll remember that. I'm 6'3, 215lbs, but for Stormtroopers, the research I've done had an "ideal" height of 5'-8" to 6'-0". So, I was really worried that a custom build wouldn't fit me well. That's awesome that you are fabricating armor for bigger guys! Once I get my kit all together and hopefully get it 501st approved, maybe we'll run into each other at a trooping event. :)
Jeff Johnson

Post by Jeff Johnson »

Just a quick update on my TK armor progress...

It looks like my armor should be completed and shipped this week! I can't wait for it to arrive from the UK...hopefully it arrives safely.
I ordered what looks to be a good quality boot (had good reviews by other 501st members) on etsy from HandcraftedByMarcus.
Currently researching sources for my E-11 blaster and audio/fan kits for the helmet. So many options....

I'll get some unboxing photos and post them when my armor arrives. :D
Kubota1
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 80764

Post by Kubota1 »

Funny you mention that…played fb in hs…asked to play semi pro for fun…I’m to nerdy for that…ty for the “congrats” looking forward to seeing you and all the rest of this terrific group!