ABS vs PVC

General discussion forum open to all registered members.
R0BL68

ABS vs PVC

Post by R0BL68 »

Can anyone share some data on ABS vs PVC ?
Which is more commonly used in the 501st? Pros and cons etc ?
Thanks for any help :)
Brewski
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 11105

Re: ABS vs PVC

Post by Brewski »

Be sure to check out your other post as I posted their too. The durability of both is good and both are commonly used by a lot of troopers. Overtime if not maintained the ABS armor can yellow. PVC can be a bit stronger, but to me does not have as glossy as a look compared to ABS. I think that most armor makers use ABS in the kits and a few offer PVC. Really I think that it comes down to more of a personal preference. Both plastics are easy to work with and stand up to rigorous trooping over the years. However I am not an expert with ABS as my TK is PVC, so far I have not had problems with it, besides a thumb line fracture on my back plate. Either plastic would be a good choice :thumbs:
"Brewski" TK/TS/TB 11105

ImageImageImage
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

ABS is more commonly used.
R0BL68

Post by R0BL68 »

I appreciate it. And apologize for the redundant question. I've asked so many questions on different pages I've lost track. lol
I truly appreciate the detailed and informative responses :)

Thanks again! :D
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Post by Mr Fett »

PVC is very new to the Star Wars armor scene. RS is the only one even making PVC stuff. Every other vendor has been using ABS or Styrene for years.
Andrew Miller

"Boba Fett? I never really pictured you being from Michigan before." ~ George Lucas 5-8-2010
R0BL68

Post by R0BL68 »

So with it being "new" to the industry that could mean one of a few things...it's an advancement/improvement in technology with regards to the durability and longevity of the product...or simply a more cost effective product that doesn't yield a better result. Ughhh...the choices LOL :lol: