what tools should i have?

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
squadleader
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 6641

what tools should i have?

Post by squadleader »

what are the essential must have to build armor? before i have a party to build it,i would like to get what i need.so please fell free to let me know what your weapons of choice are?
Vivat Imperium
Long live the Empire
I am from the Empire, I am here to help.

Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Re: what tools should i have?

Post by Terrell78 »

Some of them depend on what the armor is made of as to the type of adhesive.

But the standard tools are good scissors, multi-speed dremmel, a good range of sandpaper 180-800, curved tip scissors (from RC car shops for $5), hotglue gun, blue painters tape, a good hobby and utility knife, and lots of clamps and rare earth magnets.
Freak Nasty Fester
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 2125

Post by Freak Nasty Fester »

Scott,
We can arrange a shopping trip to get things if you want. Menards, Home Depot, Lowe's and JoAnne Fabrics will be your best friends for the next coming months......
Mowskwoz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7794

Post by Mowskwoz »

Terrell pretty much covered the basics.

As for JoAnn's check the paper and the mail for the 40% off coupons to save a few extra bucks. I had everybody getting me those coupons it really cut down the cost of my snap tool and the cost of my snaps.

Also, don't forget a diamond cutting blade for your dremel. I don't know what I would have done without it. My ABS was acrylic capped and was hard as nails. That blade cut right through it. Good luck! ~Mow
GLG Commanding Officer - 2012-2018, 2020–
GLG Captain of the Guard - 2019
ANH Stormtrooper - F.I.S.D. Expert Infantryman
GLB X-Wing Pilot - Shadow 77
Snowtrooper Commander - Thunder Snow Assault Squad
R2 Builder
DarthFOO
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9807

Post by DarthFOO »

Don't forget the plasma torch and shaped charges of C4. other than that you should be good. Oh yeah and basting caps. :lol:
"Me Sniper, You Pilot. Understand the difference?" FOO
Jaster
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 3829

Post by Jaster »

Also, it might be good to have a rivet gun and a soldering pen as well. Don't forget the solder and the fans you'll need for your helmet. Hypoxia sucks. :thumbs:
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

Ok, Im going to try this again.. stupid wireless....

Ok, so sorry for chiming in late, been preoccupied... lol :mrgreen: Here is what I have used for the costumes Ive done.

1. My first and most favoritestssss cheap tool... The snap off razor knife from the dollar store. U can usally get 3 for a buck, and when they are dull.... you snap off a new piece. I would say get about 6 or so. It should be more then enough to get you through your armor. I pick up a handfull everytime Im in there. :mrgreen:
2. Dremel... Dremel.. Dremel...(and a snake) holy cow, I did my first set by hand, mostly, and wow... what a difference. Like Mow said, a diamond blade from Lowes is worth every penny of $15. For the set up, you will spend about $100. But man... the time and effort alone.. sheesh.. totally worth it. BUT... you dont have to have it to finish your armor. OH.. and a palm sander of sort.. dont matter which one.. it makes the difference...
3. A good sharp pair of scissors.They will come in very handy.
4. GOOD painters tape. The cheap kind will let paint bleed and does not stick for poo. I found out the hard way.
5. Jo-Anns snap tool. Not the hammer and plate, but the plyers style. Do like they say and watch for the %40 coupon.
6. Good cutting board of sorts.
7. Personal prefference.. CA glue from your local hobby store. I used it on 3 sets of clones and a Vader. Worked very well. I also used it on clone shoes instead of shoe goo or E6000.
8. Magents, magnets, magnets... Holy cow, I learned a new love for them. Both in putting the costume together and in useing them in the costume itself. Also, many clamps too. They still come in handy.
9. A metal straight edge and pencil.. I know.. its dumb.. but needed.
10. Like Jaster said, pencil soldering iron, unless you dont have it, just a normal one works, but I seen his and that thing was cool... I mean his soldering iron.. pervs...lol
11. MAYBE.. a heat gun. I didnt use one, but some people have had to pending on body shape.
12. I use "All purpose" bondo from lowes. It seams to stick better to .. well anything. It also bends abit better, but its still bondo. fyi.
11. Like Terrell said, 100 to 800 grit sand paper. U still need to do some hand sanding...
12. And Im sure I missed something... but lots of BANDAIDS!!!! trust me... you need them.. lol

I dont use snips to cut anything on my armor. I dont like the edge it gives. But.. these are my personal choices. They work for me. You might find this is the worst list in the world... I hope not.. lol, but.. Im sure you will add to it and take away from it as well!!.

If you have any other ??'s , just give me a yell!!